TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

UFC 61: Bitter Rivals

My online bookie is offering 1/7 on a Tito win. I was thinking about sticking some money on but those are shocking odds. £20 (About $37) gets me back £2.86 ($5). Anyone think its worth it? Surely Tito's gonna kill him...right?

If the odds are THAT stacked against Ken I'd put a little cabbage on him because, if Ken DOES manage to pull it out, you'll clean up.

Guest ravman77

Yeah, you can get 4/1 on 'The Worlds Most Dangerous Man'. Think I'm gonna splash out on Tito with a side bet on Kenny just incase.

I remember you guys mentioning Tito having good subs in practice that he doesn't show in matches....does he have a belt rank in any form of jiu-jitsu?

I remember you guys mentioning Tito having good subs in practice that he doesn't show in matches....does he have a belt rank in any form of jiu-jitsu?

I don't believe Tito has ever trained in a gi but Lister has said he's a solid brown belt in the past. He obviously has solid sub defense and ground control and prefers to win by GnP that risk losing position by going for a submission. It's his game and it works well, even if it can be boring (see Cote vs Tito).

Is the Ortiz/Shamrock feud largely worked?

Here's some quotes from MMAWeekly that suggest this:

In the same situation with pro wrestling as a lead-in, while the wrestlers could always go long or planned spots could take longer than expected, you can generally control the length because it's a worked product. With the UFC, there's nothing worked about it other than the Ortiz-Shamrock pull-aparts, so it's a much harder product to control in terms of time management on live television.

And......

However, despite the shenanigans between Tito Ortiz, Ken Shamrock, and Dana White on The Ultimate Fighter 3, the UFC is not pro wrestling

So is the hatred worked? If it is then it takes all the fun out of this.

Is the Ortiz/Shamrock feud largely worked?

Here's some quotes from MMAWeekly that suggest this:

In the same situation with pro wrestling as a lead-in, while the wrestlers could always go long or planned spots could take longer than expected, you can generally control the length because it's a worked product. With the UFC, there's nothing worked about it other than the Ortiz-Shamrock pull-aparts, so it's a much harder product to control in terms of time management on live television.

And......

However, despite the shenanigans between Tito Ortiz, Ken Shamrock, and Dana White on The Ultimate Fighter 3, the UFC is not pro wrestling

Despite how much Dana White says he despies Pro Wrestling, he steals some aspects from it.

I don't think the hatred is worked, but remember that Tito has participated in angles in TNA, and Shammy has spent some time in pro wrestling, so you could probably call this a worked shoot.

Edwards offering Joe a piece of his twix at the weigh-ins was great, as was Tito's reaction and Shamrocks ensuing smugness when Tito weighed in a half-pound more then Shammy.

i am actually ordering this with friends. first time ever. pizza & rum. lets do this. i want shammy (i know) to fuck up ortiz. please. shammy is a grizzly old fuck. i love it.

2328-UFC62.jpg

Has Babalu earned a title shot or is he being brought in ala Jeremy Horn to be fed to Chuck to give him an easy fight between big matches?

Babalu's 10-0 since he last fought Chuck (also the last time he lost), won the IFC's 8 man tournament in 2003, and has won via submission 3 times in the UFC.

He's the most logical contender at this point.

Yeah but does he have much chance? Or is it a logical conclusion that Chuck will handle him?

Of course he has a chance, anyone who doesn't will be in for a suprise. He's much improved since the 1st Chuck fight.

Infact I'm picking him to beat Chuck in a upset.

Don't you hate Chuck or something?

I remember you getting on me for being a Tito-hater but you seem to pick Chuck to lose in everything.

You picked him to lose to Randy didn't you? Now you're picking Babalu to beat him and you think Tito will school him next time they fight.

Don't you hate Chuck or something?

I remember you getting on me for being a Tito-hater but you seem to pick Chuck to lose in everything.

You picked him to lose to Randy didn't you? Now you're picking Babalu to beat him and you think Tito will school him next time they fight.

I don't hate or dislike Chuck at all. I just think he's overrated.

I wouldn't be suprised if Chuck wins, but I think Babalu is getting slept on and he will pull off the upset.

I knew Chuck was going to beat Randy, but wanted Randy to win.

Guest JustPassinBy

So it only took Tito 1:18 to knock Shamrock the fuck out? Nice.

Maybe the fix was in?

Me and my gf went out with her family tonight to go bowlin' and they had the fight airing on 3 projector screens right over the lanes and it was packed as they advertised it. It was quite the scene to see a huge crowd at a bowling alley watching UFC.

You won't see that with wrestling shows. UFC is really catching on in a big way.

I don't claim to be a hardcore UFC follower, but I have a good idea of what's going on, and that Arlovski/Sylvia fight was the most godawful boring 25 minutes of non-action I've seen in my entire UFC watching. Yeesh...

God what an awful show. I missed the first half hour because of work but the rest was the worst UFC show I've ever seen, and the main event made the UFC Heavyweight Title look like it wasn't important enough to fight over.

Well, Arlovski looked like shit once he lost his explosiveness, and Tim didn't really sit down on any punches.

Pretty lackluster event, but that's what you get with 4 heavyweight fights.