TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Atticus Chaos

RVD and Sabu arrested for drugs

From http://www.irontontribune.com/articles/200...ews/news437.txt

Wrestling stars busted in Hanging Rock

by Kirsten Stanley/The Ironton Tribune

Monday, July 3, 2006 10:10 AM CDT

HANGING ROCK — Two wrestling superstars from Extreme Championship Wrestling and World Wrestling Entertainment may be tough in the ring, but they didn’t have enough muscle to escape drug charges after being stopped Sunday night by the Ohio State Highway Patrol.

Robert Alex Szatowski, aka WWE and ECW champion Rob Van Dam, and Terry Michael Brunk, aka Sabu, also a former ECW champion, were pulled over on U.S. 52, near Patrick Street in Hanging Rock at about 10:15 p.m. The two were apparently driving from their performances at the Big Sandy Superstore Arena earlier in the evening.

According to the OSHP, Szatowski was initially stopped for speeding. When troopers approached his vehicle, they smelled marijuana and performed a search. Troopers found the wrestler in possession of 18 grams of marijuana and five Vicodin, prescription pain pills. Brunk was charged with possession of drug paraphernalia and also had nine pills that were not immediately identifiable, but were known to be controlled substances, according to the OSHP. Both were cited and posted bond at the scene.

Szatowski, of Battle Creek, Mich., has had a long, successful career with both the WWE and ECW. In addition to being the current champion of both, he has been intercontinental champion six times, hardcore champion four times and has been a part of several championship tag team duos.

He is scheduled to wrestle tonight on WWE Raw and is also wrestling Tuesday night to retain his WWE and ECW titles during the “Extreme Rules Match” on the Sci-Fi channel.

Brunk, who lists his hometown as Bombay, India, on the WWE Web site, has also had a successful career with the ECW, earning world heavyweight championship titles two times and tag team championship honors three times.

Both Brunk and Szatowski are scheduled to appear at 10 a.m. Thursday in Ironton Municipal Court. Both wrestlers won their matches last night in Huntington, W.Va. Van Dam defeated the Big Show and Sabu defeated Justin Credible.

I like how it's more of a promotional article for the show that night rather then a report on two wrestlers getting caught with drugs. It also treats wrestling as a legitimate form by acknowledging former title reigns.

Guest Human Highlight Reel

Link doesn't work, I'll believe it when i see it.

Guest stringerbell
13. DISCIPLINE FOR VIOLATION OF LAW

Any Talent who is arrested, convicted or who admits to a violation of law relating to use, possession, purchase, sale or distribution of prohibited drugs will be in material breach of contract and subject to immediate dismissal.

13. DISCIPLINE FOR VIOLATION OF LAW

Any Talent who is arrested, convicted or who admits to a violation of law relating to use, possession, purchase, sale or distribution of prohibited drugs will be in material breach of contract and subject to immediate dismissal.

If it was Charlie Haas or someone, but RVD won't get canned.

Guest Human Highlight Reel

It's not like RVD is Mister Popular with the higher ups, is it? It's very possible he may be fired, but with TNA lurking, probably just a demotion.

I don't believe it.

Rvd caught with pot? Yeah, that's totally unexpected.

THe article just came off odd reading it. If Meltzer posts, then I believe it.

Hmmm...If it a fake news article it's a pretty good one.

Plus on a sort of unrelated note, I thought pot was okay because they didn't include it in the drug testing policy..

Aww come on...Vito lives his gimmick by wearing a dress around in public..RVD should be able to live his.

It's not illegal to wear a dress in public. You guys are paying too much attention to the pot issue. The real question will be case of the painkillers and if they were prescribed or not.

It isn't on WO.com yet and Dave ususally knows about these things pretty quick.

Meltzer's probably just waking up.

Aww come on...Vito lives his gimmick by wearing a dress around in public..RVD should be able to live his.

It's not illegal to wear a dress in public. You guys are paying too much attention to the pot issue. The real question will be case of the painkillers and if they were prescribed or not.

I was making a joke, but whatever. Honestly, you know Vince won't fire them as A)it will kill ECW B) TNA would probably pick them both up in a heartbeat but if he doesn't, than it makes the whole drug testing policy look like a joke. If anything, they could probably put the blame on Sabu for everything and fire him..

It's on PWInsider now, looks pretty real to me.

Vince could get rid of both if he wanted to, TNA couldn't pick them up for 90 days thought, right?

I'm shocked by the SmartMarks. Nobody has yet to accuse HHH of tipping off police.

If the wellness policy is true then it should be interesting to see how this is dealt.

By Bryan Alvarez

[email protected]

We can confirm the report in the Ironton Tribune this morning that Robert Alex Szatowski and Terry Michael Brunk, AKA Rob Van Dam and Sabu, were pulled over last night on drug charges.

Szatowski was initially stopped for speeding, and when officers approached the vehicle they smelled marijuana and performed a search. RVD was found with 18 grams of marijuana and five Vicodin, and Brunk was found with drug paraphernalia and "nine pills that were not immediately identifiable, but were known to be controlled substances". A court date is set for Thursday.

It will be interesting to see how WWE handles this situation, as the current Wellness Policy states that such an arrest allows for immediatate dismissal from the company. Both guys are top stars for the new ECW brand, and Van Dam currently holds both the WWE and ECW belts.

For the most in-depth and detailed news and analysis on pro-wrestling and MMA, always turn to the Figure Four Weekly newsletter and Figure Four Daily radio show! Become a member of F4Wonline.com and get the absolute latest insider news and commentary from WWE, TNA, UFC, PRIDE, ROH, K-1, all the independents, Japan, Mexico and so much more, all for as little as $1.20 per week. Members get complete newsletter, radio show (Figure Four Daily, Bryan & Vinny, and Adam & Mike), Mike Coughlin, Keith Lipinski and Derek Burgan Archives, plus the brand new VINNY'S BLOG~! and complete access to our news, interview and TV/DVD archives dating back to 2005. For your convenience, we offer secure online payments using your VISA, Mastercard, American Express, Discover card or PayPal account. Don't miss out on the fun, sign up now!

looks like it's true...

I doubt much will come of this. Vince will realize that somebody needs to take the fall for this and the drugs will all end up belonging to Sabu. I doubt he's worried about TNA picking him up because Sabu was wrestling Samoa Joe on PPV a month before he showed up in WWE and if TNA didn't feel he was important enough to lock into a contract they won't now.

Guest burth179

Let's keep in mind (the pills aside) this bust was for something that at least 1/3 of the adult population in this country does, and truthfully is not as bad for as drinking a 6 pack a night...

Does the WWE policy even involve marijuana? Probably, but it shouldn't (Just my "hippy-like" opinion. LOL!)

I hate RVD, and don't really have an opinion on Sabu, but don't make it out as these 2 are the anti-christs or anything because they got busted for weed...

Now if these PILLS are oxycontin's or things as such and were NOT prescribed to them, then I would scrutinize more. I know many people that got hooked on these things, and started turning to herion and stuff because "it's cheaper and has the same effects". Now they are junkies, or even dead. I am totally against these pain pill drugs and would like to see them totally eliminated from society if possible. And they would deserve just punishment for that, and should be fired.

Of course you also have to realize that these guys put their bodies on the line night in and night out (especially Sabu over his career, my god) and may "need" pain pills to get through the day. But ultimately nobody "needs" pain pills unless they have a prescription. Too many people become abusers of them, and it's too easy to become an "abuser" rather than a "user" if you know what a mean.

But if it turns out that they are busted for just the weed, and that they have a legitimate reason for the pills, neither should be fired or demoted in my opinion.