TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

This is the NFL Preseason Thread

It hurts to say, as I am a big fan of his. But this Koy Detmer farce really needs to end. I don't care if Timmy Chang isn't what you would call passable as a QB, he is still as good as Detmer and gives something that can be considered upside.

He was fine for what he was until last year. He knew the system, didn't make big mistakes and had just enough arm strength to make some throws. But he looks to have lost that little bit of arm strength that allowed him to be a legitimate player.

Buckhalter returned and caught a 48 yard pass! McNabb threw a TD aswell. Pretty impressive against a top starting defense like Baltimore.

Moats also returned to the line up. I'm about to watch the game pretty soon.

Shockingly, three days after he announces his retirement, Junior Seau is about to sign with the Patriots. So I guess he didn't "graduate" yet, did he?

Wonder why he joined the Pats. I mean, why retire and then come back?

Why do people say they are gonna retire and don't? Its getting to the point where I wish leagues would go "ok, once you said you retire, you are done."

Guest StylesMark
In Seau's case, he probably saw this as one last opportunity to win a Super Bowl.

Probably. I mean, you're about to retire and probably go to the HoF...and then the Pat's call. If his body can hendle it, why not?

Guest Vitamin X

Because a. his body probably CAN'T handle it, and b. He's so broken down by now the most he can contribute to the Patriots will be maybe on special teams. I can't see him as an every down linebacker again.

Guest StylesMark

Every down? No...but with the amount of injuries they get every year, they might as well have him on the roster.

I still think Rice was at the end of a raw deal last season, when the 49ers wouldn't re-sign him so he could retire like this. I can understand that you want to look towards the future, but you also have to remember that you're the 49ers, who just had the #1 overall pick in the NFL draft, and he is Jerry Rice, one of the greatest wide receivers in NFL history.

Sorry, I just find doing something like signing a contract to retire on a certain team an absolute joke. No offense to Rice, but what does it matter? There is no reason for it.

You are overreacting. It's a symbolic gesture and nothing more. It's not like he signed a multi million dollar deal. It isn't a "certain" team. If he signed a one day contract with Baltimore with the intent to retire, then it doesn't make sense but it's the team he played over the vast majority of his career and will always be invisioned in that team's colors.

Boy, the Cardinals looked horrible tonight. Other than Leinart scrambling for his life really well (but passing like Kurt Warner), the Cards looked dazed and confused from the starters to the back-ups. In case you care, odds are you don't but whatever, Leinart finished 4-of-11 for 49 yards and rushed for about 30 yards I'd say.

Cassel looked very good and has shown signs he'll be a good back-up, but he made a lot of too low passes that starters would turn into defensive touchdown returns.

Oh by the way, the final was 30-3 New England. Apparently the Cards have taken the "Preseason don't mean a thing" stance and decided not to play.

It's probably just for the ceremony they're having.

...why not just have a ceremony cause he retired as one of the greatest to play as a 49er?

You are overreacting. It's a symbolic gesture and nothing more. It's not like he signed a multi million dollar deal. It isn't a "certain" team. If he signed a one day contract with Baltimore with the intent to retire, then it doesn't make sense but it's the team he played over the vast majority of his career and will always be invisioned in that team's colors.

I'm just pissed at all this retiring/un-retiring crap that is going on in sports. Besides, as I just said, you can still hold a party for him retiring. There is no reason to have him "sign a contract" to have him "retire" in the 49er colors. When you've retired that's it. The only reason you "come back" is nothing more than a publicity stunt or to prove you can still be around when you are too far gone.

Guest Vitamin X

So they fixed up Green Bay's o-line from last week's shoddy showing at San Diego, and come out strong against the Falcons, Favre going 16 of 22 for 134 yards and 2 touchdowns and not getting sacked once. They looked a hell of a lot better today than they did last week, but it's the Falcons compared to the Chargers- they have a good defensive front too, but I don't think they're anywhere near as good as San Diego. Still, with a young team, any kind of progress is nice to see.

Hey Vince Young's completion percentage got better and he's still running the ball well. Give him a year on the bench and he may be ready for a trial by fire.

It's preseason, but so far Laurence Maroney is the real deal. Having him spell Dillon and having Kevin Faulk come in for 3rd downs and short passes out of the backfield, defensive coordinators are going to be tearing their hair out. And that's BEFORE having to deal with Brady.

It's preseason, but so far Laurence Maroney is the real deal. Having him spell Dillon and having Kevin Faulk come in for 3rd downs and short passes out of the backfield, defensive coordinators are going to be tearing their hair out. And that's BEFORE having to deal with Brady.

Any clue where Jackson is? Has he been signed yet or not?

Bam Childress looked very good, hopefully he gets to stay on the depth chart.

I think Jackson is signed, but he was on the PUP list last I heard.

EDIT: And I REALLY hope that the guys that called that game on NFL Net aren't the guys that are doing the primetime games this season. Sharpe was pretty good in his Sunday night appearance last year, but he sucked tonight. (After a Troy Brown catch) "That is learned behavior; you can't teach that." Wha?