TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

This is the NFL Preseason Thread

I didn't see most of the game so I didn't see the supposedly godlike plays Reggie Bush made but his numbers appeared to be those of a mere mortal.

What did he do that was so amazing that SS had to go crazy about?

Umm...well, nothing. He did his job on a screen pass picking up about seven yards. He got a 8 yard run because a tackler missed, he didn't make the tackler miss so much as Newman just doesn't know how to tackle.

Exactly. I love Terrance Newman as a shutdown cover corner but his tackling skills in the backfield are probably the weakest part of his game. They made it sound like Bush got around Ray Lewis in his prime or something.

Ummm WTF? Terrance Newman a shutdown corner? Yeah Right....

Newman does have flashes of becoming a very good cover corner, but he doesn't have the speed to handle deep balls which is one of his problems. His other problem is, he's a lousy tackler. We get the Cowboys all the time around here because of the NFC EAST bull and he just couldn't tackle guys that ran right into him.

Bush made a decent cut, but it wasn't anything that deserved Stuart Scott shouting like he just saw the ghost of Walter Payton running upfield. Bush did the stuff he was supposed to do, but that's it. All the NFL coverage is starting to make me hate him because the constant shots of people wearing his jersey (WE GET IT! IT'S AVAILABLE TO BUY!) and the announcers reminding us every five minutes how great he is has become his biggest enemy.

He looks like he'll be a nice third down threat right now so he's developing fine. But the hype has got to stop when he's not doing anything unseen and amazing.

I can't comment b/c I'll get labelled a USC/Bush hater(which i am but seriously) but I mean the guy did some spectacular things against a shitty defense at Tennessee but when he ran into a good defense with speed they ran him down.

I wonder if Pacman was right though saying that he's afraid to get hit and that's why he won't cut up field and dive for yards? I don't think it's that I think it's just he thinks if he keeps running side to side he'll be able to outrun everyone and find a hole but against Dallas he ran out of room.

I agree with whats been said, but if Pacman said that he needs to shut the fuck up. Bush ran by him, and then ran over him and basically threw him down on that 44 yard run.

I can't comment b/c I'll get labelled a USC/Bush hater(which i am but seriously) but I mean the guy did some spectacular things against a shitty defense at Tennessee but when he ran into a good defense with speed they ran him down.

I wonder if Pacman was right though saying that he's afraid to get hit and that's why he won't cut up field and dive for yards? I don't think it's that I think it's just he thinks if he keeps running side to side he'll be able to outrun everyone and find a hole but against Dallas he ran out of room.

I agree with whats been said, but if Pacman said that he needs to shut the fuck up. Bush ran by him, and then ran over him and basically threw him down on that 44 yard

Pacman is a moron. I still have no idea why the Titans thought drafting him was going to be a good idea. Pacman believes hype about himself that doesn't exist anywhere but in his own head. He's the kind of guy who would tell someone, "yo man! You getting shut down this week", then allow the receiver to go for 12 catches with 255 yards and three touchdowns. Then Pac Man would say, "he didn't have the balls to wait for me to catch him so I could stop him, he's a punk!"

Best name of the Preseason so far: SEA WR-Taco Wallace

I just saw this, and I'd say Richie Incognito, a OL for the Rams, is a contender. It just sounds cool. It also gets points for being a last name.

Washington really does not believe in the draft

Three team deal

Atlanta gets:

Ashley Lelie

Washington gets:

TJ Duckett

Denver gets:

Washington's 3rd round pick in 2007

plus

If Washington is worse than Denver - they flip 1st round picks (potentially huge)

If Denver is worse than Wash - they get Washington's 4th round pick in 2007

Denver and Atlanta both make out like bandits here IMO. Not a huge Lelie fan, but for what appears to have become a spare part in Duckett he is a solid haul. Denver gets two picks for a malcontent (not TO level or anything, but enough of a headache for his production).

Washington meanwhile gives up a solid to potentially huge haul depending on how their season goes for a backup to Portis? Unless Portis is going to be out for half the season this makes no sense and even then they still gave up too much.

They traded their 2007 2nd rounder to move up for Rocky McIntosh. So that is their 2nd and 3rd right there gone already. On the bright side, since the picks are tied to this deal it means they can't trade their 1st or 4th in another deal.

Washington really does not believe in the draft

Three team deal

Atlanta gets:

Ashley Lelie

Washington gets:

TJ Duckett

Denver gets:

Washington's 3rd round pick in 2007

plus

If Washington is worse than Denver - they flip 1st round picks (potentially huge)

If Denver is worse than Wash - they get Washington's 4th round pick in 2007

Denver and Atlanta both make out like bandits here IMO. Not a huge Lelie fan, but for what appears to have become a spare part in Duckett he is a solid haul. Denver gets two picks for a malcontent (not TO level or anything, but enough of a headache for his production).

Washington meanwhile gives up a solid to potentially huge haul depending on how their season goes for a backup to Portis? Unless Portis is going to be out for half the season this makes no sense and even then they still gave up too much.

Washington Aquired TJ Duckett to be a 3rd Down back in goalline situations. The reason for this is because several teams are after Ladel Betts(Portis's backup), he is in the last year of his contract, could be starting on some teams, and he has been a part of a lot of rumors as being traded away for depth on the O-line. I believe now that this trade actually happened, that Betts will be traded soon.

Didn't see this mentioned anywhere, but the new stadium in Glendale may end up being called "Pink Taco Stadium." The owners of the Pink Taco franchise have offered $30 million over 10 years for naming rights. Mayor seems to be against it though

Guest Princess Leena

Where would Betts go?

The Jets are the team that should have got him...

Ugh, this kills Portis in fantasy, too. :(

Awful move by the Falcons. They're probably going to try making Lelie their top WR, and that will be guaranteed failure.

Guest Vitamin X
Didn't see this mentioned anywhere, but the new stadium in Glendale may end up being called "Pink Taco Stadium." The owners of the Pink Taco franchise have offered $30 million over 10 years for naming rights. Mayor seems to be against it though

Best stadium name in all sports, especially for a corporate-named one.

Guest J0bber
Anyone heard about Kevan Barlow comparing Mike Nolan to Hitler? What a moron.

As a Niner fan, Kevan Barlow is a disgrace. May Frank Gore outshow him this season.

Pink Taco Stadium. I love it for the corniness. They must seal that deal right away.

There's a WNBA joke waiting to happen...

I'd just like to state now that Junior Seau will be to the Patriots this year what Rodney Harrison was in 03. If Rodney can come back to full health, they can pick up one more solid reciever, and they stay away from serious injury then they'll tie the Steeler's record of 4 out of 6 Super Bowls.

In 2003 Rodney Harrison was still an elite NFL safety, in 2006 Junior Seau is a washed up Linebacker who has been living off his name for at least the last four seasons.

In 2003 Rodney Harrison was still an elite NFL safety, in 2006 Junior Seau is a washed up Linebacker who has been living off his name for at least the last four seasons.

CO FUCKING SIGN

FFMS your coming off as a delusional homer in your post.

I'd expect Seau to be more of a situational player leaning towards starter but would expect Colvin numbers as a top end (40-50 solos, 15-20 assists, 1-4 sacks.)

I've also heard rumblings that the Patriots could utilize more of a 4-3 set, thus limiting the impact that Seau could have given how solid the D-Line is as well as how good Colvin and Vrabel are.

Guest Vitamin X

Junior Seau signing with the Patriots is like Gary Payton signing with the Heat.

Junior will just be in the Bryan Cox role. He'll eat some downs every now and then but for the most part, he's on the team for depth. And I like Seau.

But a Harrison like impact? I can't see that happening.

Rice signs one-day contract to retire a 49er

NFL.com wire reports

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (Aug. 24, 2006) -- Jerry Rice signed a one-day contract to retire with the San Francisco 49ers, officially ending the receiver's matchless career back where it began.

Rice, who played the first 16 of his 20 NFL seasons with San Francisco, shed no tears during a short signing ceremony at the 49ers' training complex. The receiver wore his ring from the 49ers' 1989 Super Bowl championship team on a chain around his neck as he hugged his wife, Jackie, and shook hands with San Francisco owner John York.

"I would like to put the uniform on and run on that football field, but I think it's time to move on," Rice said, gesturing toward the practice fields behind him. "I feel welcome here. I feel like this is my home, and this is something I'll never forget."

Rice, who will turn 44 in October, hasn't played since leaving the Broncos' training camp before last season, holding his first retirement news conference last September in Denver. He spent three seasons in Oakland after leaving the 49ers, then played a final year with the Seattle Seahawks.

But San Francisco fans still remember Rice in his incredible prime, when he made most of his 197 touchdown receptions while playing for several powerhouse teams and three Super Bowl winners. Rice holds NFL records with 1,549 receptions for 22,895 yards, and also holds the top single-season marks of 1,848 yards and 22 touchdowns.

"This is where I got my start," Rice said. "This is where my legacy is at. This is where my heart got started, and this is where I'm going to end it."

The 49ers will honor Rice again during a game against the Seahawks on Nov. 19 at Candlestick Park, and his No. 80 is expected to be retired in the near future. Rice joked that he might have waited even longer for this ceremony, but Bill Walsh, his former coach, encouraged him to get going.

"He wants to introduce me into the Hall, and he said he's going to pass away," Rice said.

November 19 will be a party in the bay area, also I exoect that Fox loses this game as tentively scheduled to NBC.