TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bob_barron

The Office, Season 3

I think that a lot of the characters were writen with the specific actors in mind to fit their personalities. I like all of the sub-characters, especially Creed.

Yes, but the actors playing Toby and Kelly are also writers, so I'd argue that for at least these two characters they filled a role and the character moulded around them after. Kelly especially, since they needed Mindy Kaling for "Diversity Day".

Kevin is one of the worst characters on that show, easily. Gets more screen time then scene-stealers like Toby, Creed and Stanley and has about one third of their talent. But hey, he's playing a big dumb accountant. I guess I can't expect much.

I like Kevin, but with him it feels like the same few jokes over and over again with a "niiiiiiice" thrown in there

Yeah, that's pretty much the point of the character. Every once in a while they extend his characterization a wee bit but they don't need him to be more than the big dumb juvenille accountant.

The only thing I can remember about Kevin is the "Don't Stand So Close to Me" video. Other than that, I can't remember anything noteworthy involving him.

Meredith is harmless and the running gag about her being an alcoholic has produced some great moments. She also banged Captain Jack and possibly some of the firemen that came when Ryan started the fire.

Angela made me feel bad for her, amazed how well they can develop characters on this show beyond Michael, Jim & Pam

They really had me going there for a minute when Dwight and Angela saw each other. I really wanted the slow-mo running hug moment but the handshake was cool too.

Fat Halpert is fucked. Ryan is an asshole. Andy is gone soon and Dwight is back. All is right with the world.

This show may have become better than Arrested Development, in that while Arrested may have made me laugh harder, this show achieves a pathos without becoming either preachy or syrupy, more emotional content, which Arrested sometimes lacked because of its irreverence.

Next week's preview:

To celebrate Phyllis' wedding shower, Michael invites two "adult" performers to the office, following the advice of his immature friend, Todd Packer. Meanwhile, Karen decides to get Jim to talk about the feelings he used to have for Pam.

Big things, big things.

- Glad to see Andy totally freak out, especially at something so damned lame, too. Him putting a HOLE IN THE WALL was completely out there, though.

- This episode had a really weird feeling running through it. It was definitely a little more serious than the others, plus highlighting the differences between Dwight's hilarious hero-worship of Michael vs. Andy's weird stalker vibe made things feel a lot different.

- A lot of growth from different characters. Angela showing off her emotional side, appologizing to Oscar like that was, well, pretty damn surprising. And Michael recognizing his mistake and showing some honest-to-God backbone completely blowing off Andy's sucking up was nice. I know it's not much, but it was good to see Michael not fall to Andy's compliments like he has been in recent episodes.

- Jim, Pam, and Karen continue to run their circles. With Jim's admission, I wonder if Karen's going to leave in the next few episodes, or if Jim's really going to try and give it a shot with her.

My Disappointments:

- There wasn't much from the rest of the office in this episode. Creed, Meredith, Kevin, Stanley, Phyllis, even Oscar didn't get much screentime. Also no Darryl and Roy, which kind of disappointed me. I'd like to see a little more of Roy actually trying to get Pam back.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Well, once he got rid of Dwight, he let his guard down.

Oh, and "lee-mon-yah-day" killed me too.

"Gaycation."

It's official: Kevin is my favorite supporting character.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Yeah, c'mon guys, how can you not like Kevin? "I thought of that like two seconds after you left." Perfect.

That was really good, and I think it's good that even though the show is a comedy - and season 2 was really damn funny - they've done a good job making season 3 very story driven and interesting. That's not intended as a backhanded compliment or anything.

The Producer's Cut of tonight's episode is up at NBC.com/The_Office.

Oscar: "Part of me wants the people in this office to have learned their lesson and just shut the hell up....and part of me thinks 'You know what? Keep talking because I would love a home theater.'"

Another thing I love about this show is Jim's facial expressions. Especially when he looks at the camera with a look like "Can you believe this shit?"

Edited by KingPK

I'm really hoping that somehow, someway the sassy black chick from Staples lands a job at Dunder Mifflin.

I was thinking the same thing.

I think that a lot of the characters were writen with the specific actors in mind to fit their personalities. I like all of the sub-characters, especially Creed.

Yes, but the actors playing Toby and Kelly are also writers, so I'd argue that for at least these two characters they filled a role and the character moulded around them after. Kelly especially, since they needed Mindy Kaling for "Diversity Day".

Aren't Angela, Ryan, and Oscar also either writers or producers?