TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Conspiracy_Victim

PlayStation 3

Overheard at a store last week in reference to the PS3 bombing:

If you have any money in your pocket at the end of this year, you'll have made more money than Sony did.

I don't think he knew what he was talking about, since I understand the concept of a loss-leader, but if the system isn't selling well, he still might be right.

I'm curious to know what everyone else thinks.

Every Sony division last year was bleeding money. Only Playstation division made money.

But frankly, the PS2 isn't going away. It's still going to sell millions and make buttloads of cash.

Major release coming out this year on PS2:

Rogue Galaxy

Winning Eleven 2007 (also on 360, PSP, and DS, though)

Lumines Plus

Tomb Raider Anniversary

God of War II

Persona 3

Samurai Warriors 2 Empires

Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI

Guitar Hero: 80's Edition

Kingdom Hearts 2: Final Mix (with Chain of Memories remake)

Madden '08

That's obviously not counting unannounced/rumored titles, and original games that we don't know much about now. Obviously, it's looking the rosiest for RPG players, though.

Guest Princess Leena
The Xbox was/is a better system for reasons completely illegal though. It is probably the greatest video game system ever with linux installed on it.

True. A modded XBox remains the best "entertainment console" today.

Although, the XBox should have sold better to the average Joe Blow. Since it's the better console if you're only going to play Madden, and such.

http://www.rumorreporter.com/?p=173

High Profile PS3 Title in Trouble

So here’s the little tidbit that all of you PS3 enthusiasts may not want to hear. An anonymous source working on a high profile title for the PlayStation 3 confirmed to me yesterday that their upcoming game had “stalled completely.” Apparently, the company has brought in a new director to salvage the project, but it looks like SCEA wants to stop the bleeding, preventing any more wasted money to be put on the project.

The most intriguing decision that might be considered is releasing the game as a downloadable game on Sony’s online store, instead of a full-fledged title. Obviously, SCEA refuses to start from scratch. And as of right now, there’s only four missions in the game and online multi-player isn’t even guaranteed. This is pretty shocking when you consider that the game was once set to be a major release.

Why did all of this have to happen? My source states that “infighting and [a] lack of clear direction” has cost the studio and SCEA millions on scrapped ideas and development paths.

The stalling of this title also had an adverse effect on the state of the studio’s employees, forcing layoffs and migrations to rival development studios in the area. With current employees already filing for newer and better jobs, it seems as if this particuar developer could be in deep trouble, especially if work morale stands still.

With little revealed on the title in the last few months, and doomsday getting closer for PS3 owners… this one could have plenty of credibility, whether Sony fans like it or not.

We’ll name the title and the studio soon, just be patient for the time being.

Look, I think we can ALL agree on something.

If we can't all conceed that the PS3 is an overpriced piece of shit, at least we can agree that it is OVERPRICED?

Clearly these units are not moving at the rate they were moving as preorders, when people were seeing them as sources of profit, not gaming.

Sony found the magic number, and it seems to be $500.

Then again if they had launched with, I don't know, one MUST HAVE game, this would all be avoided. A Final Fantasy, MGS, or SOMETHING. It would move units, and auxillary games like the ones that are actually out now, would have a greater chance of moving.

Disagreed! Ha!

You won't know whether units are moving or not until we actually get January's numbers. Random bits of anecdotal evidence are just as useless here as they are when people think that since their PS2 broke, all PS2s obviously break. January's NPD numbers are going to be very interesting.

I don't think you can really say the PS3 is overpriced given that the cost of the technology is high enough that Sony's losing money on every system sold, and that a PS3 is selling for less than the average standalone BluRay player. It's not like there's a markup. You can say it's not worth $600 to you, and I'm sure most people here would agree with that, but that's about it.

My guess: Eight Days. Any and all news on that project has ceased.

The rumor is that it's going to be Warhawk:

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/16/rumor-wa...e-ps3-download/

Rumor Reporter has confirmed that Incognito's Warhawk is the subject of the site's ominous story posted early this morning. An anonymous source working on the title has allegedly told Rumor Reporter that development has "stalled completely." Supposed "infighting and lack of clear direction" have led to a swelling budget; in turn, prompting layoffs and employee migration.

SCEA has apparently brought in a new director who may be considering a significant change of direction for Warhawk. What was once a high profile title (the first to utilize functioning Sixaxis motion control), may now become a simple downloadable game. Rumor Reporter suggests that Warhawk's four complete missions could be destined for PlayStation Store. Another Gran Turismo HD? Perhaps. But, for now, this is strictly rumor.

We did contact Sony for a statement. Here's the predictable reply: "We haven't made any official announcements regarding Warhawk since last year. At this time, we have nothing new to report regarding this title."

You'd hope not many, but I never would have thought pictures of PS3s on shelves would cause a frenzy either.

Eric's all over this, so excited he can barely keep his hands steady as he begins his post about how this proves everything he's been saying. :)

I am kinda disappointed actually, I liked the original Warhawk and Incog. At least their TM games. I just didn't like the direction the new Warhawk was going in. Should have kept it on rails, a next gen Star Fox. Since Nintendo won't actually make a good Star Fox game someone else needs to.

Namco didn't make a good Starfox game, either.

And I *liked* Star Fox Adventures, damnit.

Of course, making another gameplay style that sucks has been a common practice since the 8-bit days, but are most common with shooters.

Guest Ninja
Major release coming out this year on PS2:

Rogue Galaxy

Winning Eleven 2007 (also on 360, PSP, and DS, though)

Lumines Plus

Tomb Raider Anniversary

God of War II

Persona 3

Samurai Warriors 2 Empires

Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI

Madden '08

I've heard of Rogue Galaxy just recently and am definitely looking forward to it. First i've heard of GH: 80s Edition though.

Yeah, Guitar Hero 80's was just announced. It's entirely possible that it's just going to be the downloadable content to be included for 360 GH2, but right now no one knows for sure.

I really need both of these. Does anone have a rumored song list for the 80s edition?

I hope that the Chain of Memories remake is like the traditional KH action-rpg. I really didn't like having to use cards for CoM for the GBA. It annoyed me greatly.

Thank god, I was getting worried. Make sure you keep us updated this is thrilling stuff.

I am kinda disappointed actually, I liked the original Warhawk and Incog. At least their TM games. I just didn't like the direction the new Warhawk was going in. Should have kept it on rails, a next gen Star Fox. Since Nintendo won't actually make a good Star Fox game someone else needs to.

Starfox DS was a good game btw. And as for Warhawk's impending "doom", eh... It didn't look that great and they couldn't even use the SixAxis correctly during the demo videos I watched.

Thank god, I was getting worried. Make sure you keep us updated this is thrilling stuff.

You're just pissed because your system isn't selling.

If you think about it, it's Sony's own damn fault for the price being so high. If they weren't so damn stubborn, they could have used DVD or even HD-DVD. But noo, they always have to try a new format and so far none of them have succeeded.

Excuse me for not being excited about the latest anecdotal evidence. Give me a break. No one is on the edge of their seat waiting for updates about some random Best Buy. PS3s are in stock. We get it. Nobody will know what is going on until the next NPD is out.

That's why I can't wait for the numbers. Even if it's bad news. Seeing Nintendo fans celebrating over real data would be slightly less annoying then the blind hysteria.

They could have used HD-DVD and how does that exactly change the price? $200 is the estimate on how much the BD-ROM is adding to the PS3 price and XBox 360's HD-DVD addon is..$200. Besides, why would Sony put a rival product in their video system? Blu Ray is a better technology than HD-DVD anyway.

Since the last update, PS3 sold 100,000, Wii sold 170,000, and XBox 360 sold 130,00 and that's world-wide. Correction, PS3 is Japan/NA, Wii and XBox 360 is world-wide.

But see, if you attach the Blu-Ray drive to the Playstation popularity, the Playstation's popularity will force a Blu-Ray drive into every home!

Brilliant!

Guest Princess Leena
They could have used HD-DVD and how does that exactly change the price? $200 is the estimate on how much the BD-ROM is adding to the PS3 price and XBox 360's HD-DVD addon is..$200.

Yes fuck Sony for using newer technology for their Console! Fuck Sony for selling a Blu-Ray Player that plays High Definition next-gen video games for $400 less than a standalone BR player costs! Those EVIL SONY people!!!

Nintendo rules! They are so smart they took a Gamecube and overclocked it, then added wireless remote controllers and a motion sensor accessory and became the hottest selling console EVAR!!!!!

OMG!!!

Is Sony using the PS3 to push it's BR technology? Of course! Is it a bad thing? Not really. Whether or not the average gamer can afford $600+games+accessories right now doesnt matter. Over time it will keep up with it's only real technological competitior (XBOX). The biggest mistake Sony made was not having ANY quality launch games to set it apart from Xbox and Wii.

They could have used HD-DVD and how does that exactly change the price? $200 is the estimate on how much the BD-ROM is adding to the PS3 price and XBox 360's HD-DVD addon is..$200. Besides, why would Sony put a rival product in their video system? Blu Ray is a better technology than HD-DVD anyway.

Since the last update, PS3 sold 100,000, Wii sold 170,000, and XBox 360 sold 130,00 and that's world-wide. Correction, PS3 is Japan/NA, Wii and XBox 360 is world-wide.

Link?

I don't trust official numbers given by the company themselves, especially in the case of Sony. They have a bad habit of reporting units shipped as units sold. Just because the units have shipped to a store doesn't mean anything, look at all the "anecdotal" evidence (of which I have seen first hand) of PS3's sitting in stores unsold. Which is exactly the reason why those stories carry more weight than Anya and others want to admit.