TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

OAO Smackdown Thread - September/29th/2006.

If MVP doesn't set the wrestling world on fire as soon as he steps into a ring (he wont), then all of this will just but total bullshit, and it could ruin this guy's career. Why are they even doing this for some totally new guy? It just doesn't make any sense to me at all. Why did Teddy Long want to sign him anyway? Why should anyone give a damn?

So, any chance Lashley picks Benoit to be Booker's opponent?

Would fucking rock, though I strongly suspect Benoit's not coming back until after No Mercy.

I can see Benoit coming back if a last minute match with Regal is made for the PPV.

Hopefully Vito gets stuck with MVP.

Pretty good show, again, though not much of note. Everything was pretty by-the-numbers, save for Wang losing in his debut. That match was still awesome for 3 reasons.

- The Yang Time

- Camera zoom in on sign reading "Tulsa <3's Wang"

- Cole going above and beyond to protect kayfabe (def. my new sig quote)

Oh, and I think Cole is shilling for Miz because it makes him seem even more annoying. It's like they know he'll get booed, but they try to push him as a face hoping the crowd will still hate him, if that makes sense. It's like a controlled Cena effect.

As a TNA fan, I must say Smackdown is by far the best show in wrestling today.

-Miz is great, hope he gets a match at No Mercy, maybe against Jimmy Yang.

-Terkay's got a good look and a good gimmick, I'm thinking that after Rey beats Chavo, they do an angle where Terkay absolutely destroys Mysterio to get Mysterio off television.

-Part of me wants to see Lashley win at No Mercy, to see how they would handle it.

-Smackdown could use a couple more faces, since it seems like all the new guys (Miz, Kennedy, MVP, Terkay) are heels. Tatanka is actually one of their better midcard faces, but he seems to be turning heel.

- Survivor Series should be interesting. Maybe see:

Booker, Finlay, Regal, Kennedy vs. Lashley, Batista, Benoit, Taker. Maybe add a good stip, like all the Survivors get title shots in the future.

Terkay vs. Mysterio

Another 8-man tag would be fun, however unlikely. Something like

Kendrick, London, Hardy, Yang vs KC James, Idol Stevens, Greg Helms, Miz

Have they mentioned MVP is one of the youngest guys on the roster? He's only 20 years old.

Please explain this to me.

Miz is a heel, Tatanka is a face. Why does JBL hate Miz, yet Cole just flat out loves the guy?

I ask that question every week. I still can't figure it out.

They're gay together.

When's the last time the WWE had a great douchebag heel like The Miz?

Exactly. One of the posts above had it right. They're trying to do with the Miz what "happened" to John Cena. He's booked against faces though, and I think that is a mistake. The "annoying-face-that-gets-heel-heat" act would work better if he were booked against heels and Cole would wonder why people are booing him.

If they wanted to make us care about MVP, they would say how he lit the "minor leagues" (a kayfabe-friendly term) and everyone wants to sign him. But I think they don't do that b/c MVP is creating his own hype, as a typical cocky heel would do.

Yeah, that Yang comment got me thinking. Did JBL slip when he mentioned Yang wrestled all over the world? I know he gets away with saying stuff like "feud" and things of that nature, but were they not allowed to mention Yang's past? I know when Noble debuted, JBL said he wrestled all over the world and Cole didn't disagree then. I just think Cole looked really bad after that "save."

With Miz, they might as well go with what works - he's a douchebag heel and might as well just go with it - having him wrestle against heels would just confuse who the fans are supposed to cheer for. Believe me, Cena would be a heel a LONG time ago if it wasnt for the movie thing and the fact that he moves merchandise extremely well.

Anyway saw Smackdown for the first time in weeks last night (I honestly just keep forgetting its even on) and one major things jumped out to me.

-Batista really should be turned heel in a few months. I think Lashley should get the belt and they might as well go with Batista turning on Lashley down the road and leading that to Mania at the rate they are going. His babyface presence is best described as "filler" right now and something has to be done there, as his character is about as stale as it goes right now.

From PWInsider:

'PICK YOUR POISON' MATCHES FOR SMACKDOWN ANNOUNCED

by Buck Woodward @ 1:16:00 PM on 9/30/2006

WWE.com has announced the "Pick Your Poison" matches for next week's edition of Smackdown, with King Booker T selecting Bobby Lashley's opponent and vice versa. King Booker T will take on Batista, and Bobby Lashley will take on Fit Finlay on Smackdown.

and then

WWE CHANGES THE 'PICK YOUR POISON' MATCHES FOR SMACKDOWN

by Buck Woodward @ 2:08:00 PM on 9/30/2006

Devin Cutting sent in the following. ... WWE.com is now reporting that the Pick Your Poison matches on Smackdown will be King Booker verses Finlay and Bobby Lashley verses Batista. Lashley is forcing Booker to wrestle one of Booker's own knights and Booker is forcing Lashley to wrestle Lashley's friend.

An hour ago, WWE.com listed Booker vs. Batista and Lashley vs. Finlay as being the matches. We'll have to wait and see if they "change their mind" about the matches again before the taping this Tuesday.

It's a mistake to do Lashley vs. Batista, they should save that for 'Mania.

It's a mistake to do Lashley vs. Batista, they should save that for 'Mania.

Yeah, unless it's a no contest three seconds in and the King's Court stomps the crap out of them.

I thought they were being called "Teacher's Pets". That is a name that probably won't work in the long run but it's not as if WWE will keep these two together for longer then another year at the most.

James will end up being fired, and Stevens will get a Johnny Nitro-like push. Edge-clone #2.

James is just so fucking generic. He'll be gone soon I think. Idol Stevens though seems like he could get a solid push down the road. He's got the size and look. I just wonder if he's good as a singles competitor.

Lashley vs a big babyface could be good money down the road so they should save it.

They should have at least teased some dissension with Cena and the others, why should they be helping him out anyway? Cena has no friends on his own show anyway.

There was a funny bit that they didnt bother to EDIT out, where Lashley goes to shake Cena's hand but he doesnt see it and looks like perfect blunder.

Nice video package of the tagchamps with TNA music. Too bad it was 9 months after they won the belts as I dont think anyone knows them yet.

I TOTALLY forgot Booker was champ. The champ from one show going to the other show to beat up their champ would normally be a big deal, but the crowd was so quiet on Raw you'd think it was Trevor Murdoch in there instead. Apparently keeping the champs separate all these years of the split hasnt amounted to any 'dream matches' yet.

Reminded me of when people were concerned Booker would get no reaction when he attacked Vince at the start of the 'invasion.'

Yang is supposed to be the antistereotype? Where usually wrestling emphasizes the differences in cultures and race, Yang is a babyface because he tries to be as American and 'unforeign' as possible. I dont know if I should be offended or not.

I hate JBL but im getting addicted to his commentary.

I cant believe he gets away with being a heel announcer but he gets to bash whoever he wants. Guys like the Miz and Sylvan go out there and he flatly says 'I hate this guy.' And Cole has to play the foil and disagree with whatever he says so he has to say he likes the heel, which would confuse the hell out of any younger viewers.

Sometimes JR and Lawler are guilty of not sticking to the plan as well but that's due to mixed reactions. But JBL is out there bashing both guys, so Cole has to defend them both. There's no way Vince would allow that if he actually cared about or watched the show. The stuff he says is hilariously outdated and racist which is what makes it so great.

They still treat Rey like every win is a fluke occurence, despite being a Rumble and WM winner, it seems like any heel on the show can beat him whenever they want. Pathetic. Even JBL doesnt bury him as much cause he's already booked so ridiculously weak.

It seems like SD ppvs come out of nowhere. Raw always seems to be building to one, and you usually know about it and not care. But SD has their own and I seem to be unaware of it and not care. Or it feels like the matches on tv before and after a ppv are pretty similar to the show itself so it's not worth watching.

Was glad to see an actual program for the CW title. Seems like forever since I remember one. Dont see Hardy getting the strap to help matters as its just like the tag divsion: average of only 2 contenders.

Why does it seem like Raw ppvs load up with big gimmick matches and SD never has any?