TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cabbageboy

NFL Week 8

Here's the lineup for this coming week in the NFL followed by predictions.

Sunday 1:00:

Atlanta (4-2) at Cincinnati (4-2): Tough game to call here since both teams need a win. When in doubt in a tossup game like this, go with the home team. Bengals by 6.

Houston (2-4) at Tennessee (1-5): Jobber matchup here, though both teams have shown signs of life. Since the Titans have had 2 decent games in a row to Houston's 1, I'll take the Titans by 7.

San Francisco (2-4) at Chicago (6-0): Can't see the Bears having two mediocre efforts in a row, so they should squash the Niners by at least 14.

Arizona (1-6) at Green Bay (2-4): Stick a fork in the Cardinals, they are done. The Packers aren't all that much but they should be able to win this one at home. Packers by 10.

Seattle (4-2) at Kansas City (3-3): Chiefs are a curious team, up and down. Seattle won't have Hasselbeck and maybe not Alexander so they Chiefs should get a home win by about 7.

Baltimore (4-2) at New Orleans (5-1): Will the Saints' magic run continue? The Ravens really need a win right now, so it won't be easy. I think the Saints will manage to edge the Ravens at home though, something like 20-17.

Tampa Bay (2-4) at NY Giants (4-2): Giants can't afford a home slip up against the Bucs, so they should win this one in tougher than expected fashion. Giants by 7.

Jacksonville (3-3) at Philadelphia (4-3): Okay, here are two teams who both desperately need a win. McNabb should rebound though, so I'll take the Eagles 28-21.

4:00 games:

St. Louis (4-2) at San Diego (4-2): This should be a fun, high scoring game. Can't see the Chargers losing two in a row, but I can see the Rams losing 2 in a row. Chargers by 7, maybe 35-28.

Pittsburgh (2-4) at Oakland (1-5): The Raiders finally got a win, but let's not push it here. Steelers should beat the crap out of them even with Batch. Pittsburgh by 14.

Indianapolis (6-0) at Denver (5-1): Okay, the Broncos actually have to play someone who can (gasp) score. Even though the Broncos usually have the Colts' number in the regular season (only to get stomped in the playoffs) I'll say the Colts edge them 21-17.

NY Jets (4-3) at Cleveland (1-5): Ugh, what a boring game. The Jets should be able to get a road win here, but likely in a low scoring affair. Jets 16-10.

8:15:

Dallas (3-3) at Carolina (4-3): Doesn't matter if it is Bledsoe or Romo, the Panthers should be able to win this one at home. Carolina by 7.

Monday 8:30:

New England (5-1) at Minnesota (4-2): This should be a good matchup. Wonder if the Vikings will try to goon Brady a la Hasselbeck? Since this one is in Minnesota I will take the Vikings to win here in a close game, 23-20.

Nice, I won't have to go to the sports bar this week for the Jets game (probably). It will be...interesting dealing with Browns fans all week at work/school, though.

There are a few great matchups this week. Atlanta/Cincinnati, Baltimore/New Orleans, St. Louis/San Diego, Indianapolis/Denver, and New England/Minnesota should all be really good.

Dallas is a corpse. They play like a team confused every week they step on the field. Their line suddenly can't block for the run or the pass, they can't throw inside the 10, TO apparently no longer can catch, and their defense just gets bombed deep and watches the opponent catch it.

Least the Eagles have needed two last second field goals to beat them. And even they are swiss cheese. That whole division looks like crap right now.

Mike Doss (Colts safety) is done for the season with a torn ACL, and Montae Reagor (DT) is out for this week after being involved in an auto accident.

Since my picks sucked horribly last week, I must try to redeem myself. Or maybe I'll just become the Raiders of pick 'em.

Bengals 24, Falcons 17: I'm not sold on either of these teams, but I'm less sold on ATL.

Texans 26, Titans 13: Both teams are showing signs of hope, but I'll go with the slight experience edge for Houston in a weird game.

Bears 31, 49ers 9: Bears need another squash, and San Fran should oblige.

Packers 27, Cardinals 14: Zona just can't find a way to win.

Chiefs 28, Seahawks 10: No Hasselbeck, no Alexander. Chiefs should be a-ok.

Saints 20, Ravens 17: NO edges another good team at home.

Bucs 19, Giants 16: My weird pick of the week. I think the Bucs can contain Eli, and even the offense can do enough against NY's inconsistent D.

Jaguars 27, Eagles 20: Both teams badly need a win, but I think the Jags are a stronger team.

Chargers 34, Rams 31: Can't see the Rams taking this one, though they have been very solid this year.

Steelers 44, Raiders 10: Back to Earth, Oakland.

Broncos 35, Colts 24: Denver in the regular season at home is tall order, and Indy's depleted D won't be up to the task.

Jets 23, Browns 14: The yawner of the week.

Carolina 30, Dallas 15: The Panthers will rebound in strong fashion.

Patriots 26, Vikings 23: NE looks to be in good shape, but this will be a test. I say they win late.

Guest Princess Leena

Hey, the Bills won't get killed this week.

Why does every Browns game look to be incredibly boring.

Normally, I'd view Arizona at Green Bay as an easy game...but the Packers haven't won at home yet this year. Hopefully they just play a decent game, minimal mistakes, and let the Cards beat themselves in the cold.

I'm slightly concerned about the game Monday night. Minnesota doesn't really have one big strength, but they do everything fairly well; they can run, Johnson is serviceable at QB and doesn't make too many mistakes, and their defense can play (especially against the run).

Hey, the Dolphins won't lose this week, either. High 5, Leena!

The way things have been going this year for the Dolphins, I'm sure they'll lose something during a bye week.

Houston (2-4) at Tennessee (1-5): Jobber matchup here, though both teams have shown signs of life. Since the Titans have had 2 decent games in a row to Houston's 1, I'll take the Titans by 7.

Who will have a bigger game Vince Young or Mario Williams?

Who will have a bigger game Vince Young or Mario Williams?

Either way, the fans won't.

Guest Princess Leena

Hey, the Dolphins won't lose this week, either. High 5, Leena!

The way things have been going this year for the Dolphins, I'm sure they'll lose something during a bye week.

If Daunte got drunk on a boat, that would probably be a good thing now.

Guest Vitamin X
Look out Carolina - YOU CAN'T STOP HIM, YOU CAN ONLY HOPE TO CONTAIN HIM.

But once they do contain him, they will stop him. He's not that mobile.

Oh, a joke.

Dallas is going to get beat this week, unfortunately pretty hard.

Guest Princess Leena

Come on, we want to see Dallas lose.

It's just a matter of time before Parcells goes batshit on everyone.

This is actually his fourth year, and hopefully his last.

Why? Who would you rather have.... Dick Jauron? Oh nevermind, a team actually hired him.

There's better candidates out there. The game has passed Parcells by.

Guest Vitamin X

Dennis Green, probably.

I'm not entirely sure you can fault the Cards' problems on Green, either, so Denny might actually make a good fit in Dallas.

I wonder if Jones would care to hire a black coach, though.

Guest Vitamin X

Also, just for fun, what I think the league looks like right now.

Contenders (or, the top 25%)

Bears

Colts

Falcons

Saints

Chargers

Patriots

Bengals

Broncos

Losers

Dolphins

Browns

Titans

Raiders

Lions

Cardinals

Everyone else is pretty much fighting it amongst themselves in the middle, trying to make the playoffs to get eliminated by one of the upper squads, and laughing at the misfortune at the ones below them. The contenders are pretty much looking like they'll all make the playoffs now, and the losers are looking to position themselves for draft day.

In today's league, the distance between the elite teams and the rest is very, very far. I mean, you've got the Bears, Panthers, Falcons, and Saints playing at a high level in the NFC, then the Chargers, Patriots, Bengals, and the Colts in the AFC, and all except for the Colts and Bears have lost a game or two, either to each other or by a close margin to another team. It's hard to judge who is who outside of those 8 teams, and even then a couple of those teams aren't even really shoo-ins for the playoffs. The rest of the league sorts itself out from there. They could all be 4-2 as easily as 2-4, or worse. And it won't matter because none of them will contend for a title against these guys.

I mean, I know I said last year that the Colts were virtually unstoppable, but the team that they lost to was also a damn good team that ended up winning the championship. It seems as, since parity's come around, there are actually fewer really good teams and far more average-mediocre squads, but at least there's fewer truly stinkbomb teams as well. I don't think the Ravens have nearly a good enough offense to go along with the defense, and while the same could be said for the Broncos, Denver's D is the best in the league right now by a wide margin (while scoring the second fewest points in the NFL). 2000 Ravens? Maybe. I don't think anyone serious is going to come out of the NFC West or East, either. The Seahawks, maybe, once Hasselbeck and Alexander are healthy, but being that the team relies on two players to have the whole team going, doesn't make them too much of a threat. They had a much better defense last year, also. The Rams might creep up soon and become a contender, also.