TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Downhome

WWE announces 2007 DVDs

I didn't know Austin had "major feuds" with Scott Hall and Eddie Guerrero.

Didn't he have "a month of bad booking where he embarassed Hall repeatedly" and then "3 weeks of bad booking where he quit before having the match with Eddie". Odd to see those two on there with Taker, Bret, etc. as his big feuds.

ECW--No thanks. I'm already ECW'd out with the Rise & Fall and BloodSport releases, and a DVD of the "new" ECW would be terrible anyway.

D-X 3 Disc: Again, I'm not really interested in anything current, so a 3 disc retrospective of the 40 Year Old DX isn't my cup of tea. I can't believe they are releasing this, let alone giving it 3 discs.

Royal Rumble Anthology: Definitely interested, but not going to save my money up for it or anything. They could be smart and release each one individually (at least through ShopZone or something), but something tells me we'll get another $250 set. However, unlike the WM set, I only have the 2003 and 1992 (via Flair's set) Rumble on DVD, and a old VHS of 1989, so this could be a good investment. However, I would really like to have some sort of documentary disc or feature about the Rumble match itself, or some sort of extra features. releasing "Bare Bones" editions of each Rumble kind of sucks, much like the WM set.

Four Horsemen: Will definitely pick it up, but how much of this will be a re-hash of the Confidental segments and other parts of other DVD's (Flair's, Greatest Stars of the 80's, etc.)?? The match listing will be the reason to pick this one up. I bet it gets TWO discs--while 2006 DX somehow deserves 3.

Families of Wrestling: Interesting, but I think it will somehow be McMahon top heavy. Does something like this really warrant a release? I'm getting a "Greatest Managers" vibe from this one.

Ladder Match: Might be worth it if they have the Bret/Shawn ladder match from the "Grudges Gripes & Grunts" VHS on this one, but apparently that never happened, as Razor/Shawn is now the first ever ladder match, or something. I've seen most ladder/TLC matches, and don't really want to see Jeff Hardy doing a swanton off of a 56 foot ladder AGAIN, but I'll wait and see on this one.

WCCW: A surprise. Will be worth it just to see the trainwreck that was the Von Erich family.

Rey: Match listing will make this a good one.

Cena: Knew this one was coming, and I'm surprised it's being released so far away. A lot can happen in that amount of time.

Austin: What can be on this that hasn't been covered in the other 32 Austin VHS/DVD releases? Hopefully they'll include some never before released matches, but i'm guessing we'll just see a bunch of Austin vs. Vince and his WM 13 match with Bret AGAIN.

I'm semi-excited at about a fourth of that list. I really would like to see a SNME set, as those still retain some camp value even today. Watching the Hogan/Funk and Hogan/Race matches on his new set brought back memories.

And when is Vince going to stop hating Randy Savage for sleeping with Stephanie (or whatever) and release his set? If he can hire Eric Bischoff and put out a Warrior DVD, surely a Savage set can't be too hard.

I would also like to see a nice, 3 or 4 hour documentary about the history of WrestleMania. I can remember that book that came out about 5 years ago, and really wishing it was a DVD with that info instead.

And.....I'm guessing this list won't be final, and some of this will change. Remember, we were supposed to get a definite "Austin vs. McMahon" set this year, and that became Vince's DVD. I'm hoping the D-X set turns into a complete history, and not just covering the 2006 version.

About the music editing...

The WM DVDs had Boss Man, Demolition, and the Godwinns' music edited among others. Boss Man had his 1998 heel theme, and the others had generic themes. Then on 24/7, one of the first shows I watched was Summerslam 96, which had the same edited Godwinns theme. But recently, they had the special on Demolition which had the correct theme, and I think I heard Boss Man's right theme somewhere too. Anyone know why?

I really try not to think about it. Why is Jesse's commentary ok on 24/7? Why is some music ok on 24/7 but not DVD? Perhaps they pay when they really need something. A full episode of SNME with Vince talking to himself would be really odd. A Demolition special where the theme is CONSTANTLY being played with an edited theme would also be really weird.

I think they only have to pay music and Jesse royalties for home video releases. I don't have WWE 24/7, but I remember when WWE Confidential showed matches from the "vault" they always left Jesse's commentary in as well.

Guest Bulldogs'86

It seems like DVD sets for Steamboat and the Steiner Brothers are way overdue. Hopefully those will be in the WWE's plans for 2008. Also, the rumored SummerSlam boxset wasn't listed - maybe an early 2008 release?

I wonder if we'll ever see DVD sets for Sting, the Rock & Roll Express or the Midnight Express since they didn't wrestle for McMahon (except for the R&R Express' brief run in the WWF in 1993).

Any other stars of the 1980's or 1990's that you feel deserve a multi-disc set in the near future?

A 3-disc British Bulldogs set would be great as well. The first disc could be their tag matches, the other two discs focusing on the singles careers of Davey Boy and Dynamite.

Guest Bulldogs'86

Also, what about the AWA DVD set that was supposed to come out this year? Is that supposed to be a 2006 release?

How can the DX DVD be three discs? Maybe 5 minutes of wrestling on each one.

Name a good "new DX" match. Or even a fair one. Tough to do. I assume it will be mostly skits and other shit like that.

Name a good "new DX" match. Or even a fair one. Tough to do. I assume it will be mostly skits and other shit like that.

Well, I'm sure we'll get lots of great interview segments with the likes of Steve Lombardi and Jim Ross.

Well, I'm sure we'll get lots of great interview segments with the likes of Steve Lombardi and Jim Ross.

Hopefully Brisco will be interviewed and say that Mr. McMahon thought of bringing DX back together in 2006 back in 2000, which scared those dirty, dirty WCW people into closing their doors.

Remember that the orginal DX dvd went up to the DX Army invasion, so they will be covering the latter half of 98, the breakup and reformation in 99, the Factgime, the teased reformation with Shawn in 03 and then finally the midlife crisis version. Hopefully, unlike the re-release of the 97 disc this will be uncensored and we get the press conference.

The WM DVDs had Boss Man, Demolition, and the Godwinns' music edited among others. Boss Man had his 1998 heel theme, and the others had generic themes. Then on 24/7, one of the first shows I watched was Summerslam 96, which had the same edited Godwinns theme. But recently, they had the special on Demolition which had the correct theme, and I think I heard Boss Man's right theme somewhere too. Anyone know why?

I really try not to think about it. Why is Jesse's commentary ok on 24/7? Why is some music ok on 24/7 but not DVD? Perhaps they pay when they really need something. A full episode of SNME with Vince talking to himself would be really odd. A Demolition special where the theme is CONSTANTLY being played with an edited theme would also be really weird.

I think they only have to pay music and Jesse royalties for home video releases. I don't have WWE 24/7, but I remember when WWE Confidential showed matches from the "vault" they always left Jesse's commentary in as well.

But 24/7 is something people pay to watch, like a video. I don't really know how that whole royalty issue works with music or commentary so I'm not even going to bother thinking about it.

I'm semi-excited at about a fourth of that list. I really would like to see a SNME set, as those still retain some camp value even today. Watching the Hogan/Funk and Hogan/Race matches on his new set brought back memories

I remember a few months back they had a poll on WWE.com where they had a list of possible dvd releases that fans could vote on. Pretty much everything they had listed is to be released on 2007 EXCEPT the SNME one, which I voted for, but sadly is not in the works (yet.)

The Ladder Matches set is potentially another great one. I know a bunch of people will complain (me included) that the Bret vs HBK match won't be included (the preview text pretty much guarantees that) but there are a few other great, forgotten matches that have yet to see the light on dvd like Razor vs HBK II, E&C vs Hardys from RAW(first ladder match on TNN), RVD vs Y2J from RAW, among others I wouldn't mind watch again on dvd like the first Hardys vs E&C match or Eddie vs RVD, and maybe they could bend the rules little bit and include a couple of TLC matches as well.

I do agree that a 3-disc set for the New D-X is a bit much. Maybe they'll include some older, original D-X footage as well.

Cena and Rey were previously only single-disc releases, so I don't mind multi-disc sets for either, although I might only get the Rey one depending on the match listing. The new Austin set is a no-brainer for me, along with the Horsemen one.

And regarding the upcoming Extreme Rules ECW dvd, there are several matches from the New ECW that could be included like the Show vs Flair one, or the more recent RVD vs Holly. Not sure if they could fill 2 discs worth of the New ECW but they could probably include some original ECW stuff previously unseen on dvd and we could see another great set.

Yes I have wondered the same thing about 24/7. Jesse is all over 24/7.

perhaps cuz 24/7 is techincally on tv (though its is a pay service) it doesnt count as a commercial release? that might make sense for jesse. as for the music. Jimmy hart is now seemingly back in the fold appearing on the hogan dvd, so maybe the theme issue has been resolved?

anyhow excited to hear about the horseman and austin set. as well as the rumble one, despite the obvious blur a mania issues for 98-2002, but itd be cool to have all the rumble matches on dvd.

ECW DVD Match listing via Observer:

The ECW Extreme Rules DVD coming out features vignettes with Styles, Tazz, Sabu, Sandman, Punk, Kevin Thorn, Kelly Kelly and Big Show.

Disc 1 is Sandman vs. Cactus Jack 7/1/95

Gangstas vs. Eliminators in a cage weapons match 8/24/96

Tommy Dreamer vs. Brian Lee scaffold match on 10/26/96 with Coachman & Dreamer doing new commentary on a second track

Sandman vs. Sabu stairway to hell from 1/10/98

Dudleys & Big Dick vs. Sandman & Dreamer & Spike Dudley in a street fight on 8/2/98

Sabu vs. Tazz in a death match on 3/21/99

Mike Awesome vs. Masato Tanaka for the ECW title on 12/31/99

Tables, Ladders, Chairs & Canes with Steve Corino vs. Sandman vs. Credible on 1/7/01.

Disc 2 has Dudleys vs. Dreamer & Sandman from 6/12/05

Mysterio vs. RVD from 6/7/06

Mysterio vs. Sabu from 6/11/06

Foley & Edge & Lita vs. Dreamer & Terry Funk & Beulah from 6/11/06

RVD vs. Show from 7/4/06

Show vs. Flair from 7/11/06

Sabu vs. RVD in a ladder match from 8/16/06

Van Dam & Sabu vs. Test & Knox from 9/5/06

RVD vs. Holly from 9/26/06

At least they were smart enough not to make a whole set about the new ECW.

Well, everyone who was worried about how they would fill 2 discs worth of New ECW should be relieved now. IMO, aside from the already-released ONS PPV stuff I think this is another worthy addition to the ECW dvd releases. Other than Dreamer vs Lee and Sandman vs Sabu everything on disc 1 is brand-new to me. Specially looking forward to the Tanaka vs Awesome match.

Another buy for me.

The ECW Extreme Rules DVD coming out features vignettes with Styles, Tazz, Sabu, Sandman, Punk, Kevin Thorn, Kelly Kelly and Big Show.

Tommy Dreamer vs. Brian Lee scaffold match on 10/26/96 with Coachman & Dreamer doing new commentary on a second track

Dudleys & Big Dick vs. Sandman & Dreamer & Spike Dudley in a street fight on 8/2/98

Tables, Ladders, Chairs & Canes with Steve Corino vs. Sandman vs. Credible on 1/7/01.

RVD vs. Show from 7/4/06

WWE really needs to stop putting old school ECW matches that were already released on the Pioneer VHS/DVD's on their dvds. I think I already have all those old ECW matches on the Pioneer tapes. The matches on the 2nd disc make it pretty worth it through, all very smart choices......well ok maybe not the Sabu vs RVD ladder match.

I picked up the Hogan Anthology dvd set (3 disc) tonight, I just started the first disc and I like the presentation so far.

RVD vs. Show from 7/4/06

WWE really needs to stop putting old school ECW matches that were already released on the Pioneer VHS/DVD's on their dvds. I think I already have all those old ECW matches on the Pioneer tapes. The matches on the 2nd disc make it pretty worth it through, all very smart choices......well ok maybe not the Sabu vs RVD ladder match.

I picked up the Hogan Anthology dvd set (3 disc) tonight, I just started the first disc and I like the presentation so far.

do you really think wwe has any clue that pioneer even exists let alone had these out? anyhow since ythose are out of print by now, I guess it doesnt matter (I have a few of the pioneer vhs versions myself, extreme evolution, POD, barely legal, heatwave 98, and Anarchy Rulz 99)

Here are official dates of release for several of WWE's 2007 dvds, from 411mania.com:

WWE® Announces Home Entertainment 2007 Release Schedule

25 Releases Include "Royal Rumble®: The Complete Anthology," "John Cena®: My Life," "Ric Flair® and The Four Horsemen," "Stone Cold Steve Austin's Life and Legacy," "Triumph and Tragedy of World Class Championship Wrestling" And "The Ladder Match"

STAMFORD, Conn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--World Wrestling Entertainment® today unveiled its home entertainment release schedule for 2007.

Twenty-five new titles are slated for release in 2007. Among the highlights is "Royal Rumble The Complete Anthology," a 20-disc box set covering the first 20 Royal Rumble events, including 14 never before released on DVD. Additionally the schedule includes a profile DVD on one of the most popular professional wrestling factions of all time, Ric Flair and the Four Horsemen, plus a first ever WWE DVD release on the recent library acquisition of World Class Championship Wrestling, and an in-depth look back at the history of the Ladder Match. Additional profile DVDs about John Cena, Rey Mysterio®, and Stone Cold Steve Austin will cover their lives both inside and outside professional wrestling.

Under a multi-year agreement announced last month, Genius Products, LLC. is now the exclusive home entertainment distributor of all WWE DVDs. The first WWE home entertainment release to be distributed by Genius, "Born to Controversy: The Roddy Piper Story," is available on DVD today. "Born to Controversy" is a three-disc release and the first to focus on WWE Legend "Rowdy" Roddy Piper. The DVD covers Piper's extensive career and intense rivalry with Hulk Hogan, plus more than 20 years of Piper's Pit and 17 all-time great Piper matches in their entirety.

The 2007 WWE Home Entertainment release schedule (all titles and dates are subject to change) is:

January: Armageddon® 2006 (1/16); ECW®: Extreme Rules (1/30)

February: The New Year's Revolution 2007 (2/6); The New & Improved D-Generation X (2/20); Royal Rumble 2007 (2/27)

March: Royal Rumble: The Complete Anthology Box Set (3/13); No Way Out® 2007 (3/20)

April: Ric Flair® and the Four Horsemen (4/10)

May: WrestleMania® 23 (5/22); Backlash® 2007 (5/29)

June: Great Families of Wrestling (6/5); Judgment Day® 2007 (6/19)

July: ECW One Night Stand 2007 (7/10); Vengeance® 2007 (7/24)

August: The Great American Bash® 2007 (8/21); The Ladder Match (8/28)

September: The Triumph & Tragedy of World Class Championship Wrestling (9/18); SummerSlam® 2007 (9/25)

October: Unforgiven® 2007 (10/16); Rey Mysterio: The Biggest Little Man (10/23)

November: No Mercy® 2007 (11/6); John Cena: My Life (11/06); Stone Cold Steve Austin's Life and Legacy (11/20)

December: WWE Cyber Sunday (12/4); Survivor Series® 2007 (12/26)

Edit: I thought the original post didn't have the release dates so I posted this one. My mistake.

Taken from the latest WON Thread, according to the Observer, June 2007 will also see the release of "The Rock's Greatest Matches" DVD. If we go by the previous release list, next year we'll see 2 WWE dvd releases per month all year long, except for November and June which have 3. WWE sure is making a killing out of these.

I'll get the Rumble and Horsemen ones definitely. Ladder one, maybe. Other than that, pass.

Yes. The Rumble and Horsemen ones are the only DVDs that interest me. Ladder DVD might be okay. Depends on the matches.

Taken from the latest WON Thread, according to the Observer, June 2007 will also see the release of "The Rock's Greatest Matches" DVD. If we go by the previous release list, next year we'll see 2 WWE dvd releases per month all year long, except for November and June which have 3. WWE sure is making a killing out of these.

I hope they'll put something about his Hollywood phase from 2004 (?), he was great in that role. The promo with Hogan, Austin & Hurricane were some of the best

I hope they'll put something about his Hollywood phase from 2004 (?), he was great in that role. The promo with Hogan, Austin & Hurricane were some of the best

Yeah, I really enjoyed Rock at that point. His theme music was cool as well...they had those shots of a city landscape, and then you heard him whisper "...is cooking...". That rocked.

What I'll buy in 2007:

Royal Rumble: The Complete Anthology (Mrach 13th)

Ric Flair & The Four Horsemen (April 10th)

WrestleMania 23 (May 22nd)

maybe The Ladder Match (August 28th)

The Triumph & Tragedy of World Class Championship Wrestling (September 18th)

The rest is all downloadable and not something I really need/want on the shelf. Hopefully Austin's DVD gets a big treatment and has new stuff. If so, I'd but it, if 3/4 of the stuff hasn't been released or is really, really good.

I just ordered the 17 2005 PPVs, in a "spinner belt" gift box set, for $79.95. And then i got 10% off and free shipping.

DO THIS NOW at ShopZone.

Wow. As much as I hated ordering 3 PPVs in a row to see Cena lose, and watching him retain everytime, this is a damn good deal. I have two friends who are brothers that might split this package with me, either in half, or in thirds..I already have RR and WM21..which of the other ones do you suggest I take? If I take 5 of them, or if I take 7 or 8 of them. I was thinking that I would want:

Judgment Day

ECW: ONS

Vengeance

Summerslam

Survivor Series

and then if I got 2 or 3 more..

Taboo Tuesday?

No Way Out?

Backlash?

Take New Year's Revolution for Batista's awesome tweener storyline and easily the best Elim. Chamber match yet. Well, it's the only good one, at about *** 1/2.

Taboo Tuesday is AWFUL unless you wanna see Batista rip himself up more spinebustering Big "I am the size of a" Van Vader.

____

By the way, the 2005 PPV Rewind set is 15 events. And you can do another deal where The History of the WWE Title 3-disc comes with it, for $89.95. if you missed it.