TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EdwardKnoxII

Singer signs on for Superman Sequel

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=89374

SINGER SIGNS ON FOR SUPERMAN SEQUEL - OFFICIAL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As he as much as announced at the San Diego Comic-Con, Bryan Singer has signed on to direct a sequel to this summer’s Superman Returns, this according to Variety - confirming rumors that were flying at the end of last week.

The sequel, though not greenlit by the studio, is expected to be released in summer of 2009, although, according to the trade, there is no script or budget as of yet.

As Variety interprets the pacting between Singer and the studio for a sequel – though Superman Returns didn’t perform as the studio had hoped, it’s not about to walk away from the Superman film franchise. The trade reported Warner Bros. and co-financer/co-producer Legendary Pictures as saying that they will still turn a profit on Superman Returns, noting that the film has just crossed $200 million domestically, and more than $390 worldwide.

The budget for the sequel, reportedly, will be under $200 million, with Warners put at $209 million after tax rebates and incentives, although, as has been previously noted, when factoring in all the development costs to get Superman Returns to theaters (multiple scripts, directors and lead actors), the total costs for the film over the years to Warners has been nearly $250 million – though the $40 million in development previous to this specific version of the film, as been absorbed.

Warners has an option on Brandon Routh for the sequel, which, according to Singer when speaking at Comic-Con, will be more action-oriented, as the director said that while Superman Returns allowed him to introduce the cast, the sequel would allow him to, “Go Wrath of Khan on it." While Singer didn't name any particular villains that would be in the sequel, he teased - more than once – of an alien threat.

RE: the villian - I'm guessing Brainiac?

RE: the caps in the title - you're really reaching with that one, guys.

I'm hoping for Mongul.

Mongul would kick all kinds of ass.

Yes, the sequel will have to be action driven, rather than character driven, because Singer completely wrote himself into a corner with Lois Lane that he can't ever get out of!!!

There's no question who the villian should be.

Darkseid.png

Darkseid would be fantastic, but I can't imagine we'd see him.....maybe ever.

If they do a supervillain, I imagine it'd probably be Braniac.

I'm surprised that people are excited over this. Did we already forget that steamy pile of shit that was released just a few months ago?

Ahhh tis is true but remember that X-Men 2 was better than the orginal.

Darkseid.png

Ving Rhimes or Keith David to play the part!

I'm surprised that people are excited over this. Did we already forget that steamy pile of shit that was released just a few months ago?

I'm not excited for that very reason. I made the mistake of paying to see SUPERMAN RETURNS. I have zero interest in a sequel. And I love Superman!

I liked the movie, but it's getting major King Kong backlash--good movie that had ridiculous advance hype, and that along with the long running time resulting in people calling it shit.

Yet, I'm pretty sure some of these same people will defend The Hulk to the death.

The guy from They Live? Is he still around? I hope he is--he ruled.

Put on the sunglasses.

The guy that was the voice for Green Latern on Justice League.

Bryan Singer made the movie he wanted to see instead of the movie the fans wanted to see. Superman Returns was flawed, but was still a good film.

Singer's a talented director, and it sounds like he learned from his mistake and wants to try again.

I liked the movie, but it's getting major King Kong backlash--good movie that had ridiculous advance hype, and that along with the long running time resulting in people calling it shit.

Yet, I'm pretty sure some of these same people will defend The Hulk to the death.

Strike three.

I'm calling it shit because it was shit.

The running time didn't bother me.

And I certainly won't defend The Hulk!

The guy from They Live? Is he still around? I hope he is--he ruled.

Put on the sunglasses.

The guy that was the voice for Green Latern on Justice League.

Dude, that's Phil Lamarr.

Not sure who they're talking about from They Live. Maybe Keith David??

I am looking forward to the next Superman movie. Sure there were flaws in Superman Returns but I still enjoyed the movie. At least it wasn't as bad as Daredevil or X-Men 3.

I am looking forward to the next Superman movie. Sure there were flaws in Superman Returns but I still enjoyed the movie. At least it wasn't as bad as Daredevil or X-Men 3.

The Daredevil director's cut was a pretty good movie.

Strike three.

I'm calling it shit because it was shit.

What a well-thought out reply.

At least it wasn't as bad as Daredevil or X-Men 3.

Or Hulk, Elektra, Superman III & IV, all of the Captain America films, both Fantastic Four movies, Ultraviolet, AVP, Batman Forever/&Robin, Aeon Flux, etc, etc.