TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

NFL Discussion Forumtable

He's really borderline for me. He's right there with the numbers, but I feel that he is just short with his other accomplishments. The fact that he was replaced by his team on the way to a Super Bowl win really hurts his legacy, in my opinion. I wouldn't complain if he made it, but I wouldn't feel compelled to champion his cause either.

I don't think I'd vote him in. Though he did bring a lot of excitement to a moribund Patriots franchise, he never ended up being the successor to Dan Marino that many thought he would eventually become. He failed to throw more touchdowns than interceptions in half of his seasons in the league, his postseason numbers are abysmal, and he was replaced twice by teams (Patriots, Cowboys) that went onto immediate success after his demotion. The guy is a class act but, if he leaves any legacy behind, it's one of unmet expectations, in my opinion.

Guest Vitamin X

Give him this much credit: He DID get the Patriots into the Super Bowl that year, winning the AFC Title game against a very tough 13-3 Steelers team in Pittsburgh. Those 2001 Patriots were the most likable bunch, ever. They really re-defined what it meant to play as a team, and everyone gave a big contribution to overcoming all the obstacles they needed to get there.

Bledsoe barely threw for over 100 yards in that game against the Steelers. If anything, Kordell Stewart probably contributed more to the Patriots victory by throwing three picks, two of which came in the final minutes and completely iced the game for New England.

The guy is a class act but, if he leaves any legacy behind, it's one of unmet expectations, in my opinion.

Agreed, 100%. He would get into my Hall of Very Close.

Drew Bledsoe to retire

If he entered the NFL 5-10 or so years or so before he actually did, Drew may have been a HOF caliber QB. Unfortunately, he entered in a time when defenses got bigger and faster and QBs had to be more agile and able to quickly get rid of the ball. He's a white Warren Moon, basically (and I don't think he'll get the unwarranted love of the HOF voters like Warren did).

Thats a joke right? You don't think the Warren love is warranted?(heh...that sounds funny).

Warren most definitely shouldn't have been a first ballot vote in. His NFL numbers don't add up and his postseason record (3-7, 0 title game appearances) is pitiful. He got in more for his CFL numbers (which is like a baseball player going into Cooperstown based on his track record in AAA) than anything else.

Give him [bledsoe] this much credit: He DID get the Patriots into the Super Bowl that year, winning the AFC Title game against a very tough 13-3 Steelers team in Pittsburgh. Those 2001 Patriots were the most likable bunch, ever. They really re-defined what it meant to play as a team, and everyone gave a big contribution to overcoming all the obstacles they needed to get there.

As MiB pointed out, Kordell Stewart deserves as much credit as anyone for that game. After that one TD drive right after Brady went out (a great moment and boost to the team to be sure), Drew was his typical mediocre self for the second half and the Pats didn't score an offensive TD the rest of the game (I believe they got a TD off a blocked FG and Vinatieri kicked a few himself).

And Bledsoe's got his numbers because, like Moon, he threw A LOT. Every offense was geared towards him throwing the ball 40-50 times a game (he topped 600 attempts a season FOUR times in his career). But his TD:INT ratio, yards per completion average, and completion percentages were pretty average or slightly above average.

Edited by KingPK

Drew Bledsoe to retire

If he entered the NFL 5-10 or so years or so before he actually did, Drew may have been a HOF caliber QB. Unfortunately, he entered in a time when defenses got bigger and faster and QBs had to be more agile and able to quickly get rid of the ball. He's a white Warren Moon, basically (and I don't think he'll get the unwarranted love of the HOF voters like Warren did).

Thats a joke right? You don't think the Warren love is warranted?(heh...that sounds funny).

Warren most definitely shouldn't have been a first ballot vote in. His NFL numbers don't add up and his postseason record (3-7, 0 title game appearances) is pitiful. He got in more for his CFL numbers (which is like a baseball player going into Cooperstown based on his track record in AAA) than anything else.

Give him [bledsoe] this much credit: He DID get the Patriots into the Super Bowl that year, winning the AFC Title game against a very tough 13-3 Steelers team in Pittsburgh. Those 2001 Patriots were the most likable bunch, ever. They really re-defined what it meant to play as a team, and everyone gave a big contribution to overcoming all the obstacles they needed to get there.

As MiB pointed out, Kordell Stewart deserves as much credit as anyone for that game. After that one TD drive right after Brady went out (a great moment and boost to the team to be sure), Drew was his typical mediocre self for the second half and the Pats didn't score an offensive TD the rest of the game (I believe they got a TD off a blocked FG and Vinatieri kicked a few himself).

And Bledsoe's got his numbers because, like Moon, he threw A LOT. Every offense was geared towards him throwing the ball 40-50 times a game (he topped 600 attempts a season FOUR times in his career). But his TD:INT ratio, yards per completion average, and completion percentages were pretty average or slightly above average.

Because Dan Marino's offense wasn't geared towards him throwing the ball ALL the time?

Warren Moon is 4th all time in NFL yards with nearly 50,000 yards and threw 291 touchdowns putting him at 5th.

Plus, you can discount the CFL numbers all you want, but lets be realistic. If he had played those 5 years in the NFL, he wouldn't have had the same massive numbers he put up there, but he would have been at least ranked a few spots higher in yards and touchdowns. How is that NOT a first ballot Hall of Famer?

I could see if you were arguing against Jim Kelly being a first ballot guy (although I would still be arguing with you pretty hard) but come on.

I don't think you can, but his numbers weren't as good as Moons and he is arguing that he shouldn't be a first ballot guy. I don't see how you can argue either of them not being a first ballot guy.

Sure his teams had more sucess in the playoffs, but look at Moons playoff numbers. they were pretty good. Its not like he was out there Manning it up. But football is a team game. If the D couldn't stop anyone, whoopity doo. Kelly had a ridiculously complete football team.

Sure his teams had more sucess in the playoffs, but look at Moons playoff numbers. they were pretty good. Its not like he was out there Manning it up.

Manning's career postseason numbers: 290/475, 3495 yards, 18 TDs, 15 INTs (13 games)

Moon's career postseason numbers: 259/403, 2834 yards, 17 TDs, 14 INTs (10 games)

Is there really that much of a difference?

I think the Pats should retire Bledsoe's number. Those outside of New England for the most part don't remember a time when old Foxboro stadium was nearly empty and the local NFL affiliates wouldn't even bother playing the Pats, instead opting to show NY Giants games instead. When fans around here talk about the Pats going from absolute shit to a respectable football franchise there are three things mentioned.

1.) Kraft purchasing the team

2.) Bill Parcells being brought in

3.) Bledsoe being drafted

Funny, Howard Johnson (I think that was his name) said basically the exact same thing on Cold Pizza the other day on 1st & 10.

Guest Queen Leelee
not to be a Bills homer, but how would you even begin to argue against Jim Kelly being a 1st ballot guy?

2002 was a weak class, so there wasn't much choice. But, if he was eligible in 2006, and went in ahead of Thurman, it would be a joke. Despite being on a stat-friendly offense, Kelly wasn't even among the top QB's in the league. I never felt he was in that elite class.

The real reason Kelly gets in is because he was the QB for 4 straight Super Bowls. And he was a "gunslinger", "tough", etc... i.e. the only white star on that offense, and goes on about his sick kid forever.

so apparently the Dolphins are just going to up and release Culpepper if/when Trent Green is aquired. I don't get the reasoning behind that one since they did spend a 2nd round pick on him and ACL injuries generally take 18-24 months to fully heal. You would think they would just throw him on the PUP list, let him fully heal, and then see if they can get anything out of him.

If released I wonder if he would consider Oakland. He and Randy Moss have not been the same since being split up. If Oakland had a healthy Daunte Culpepper, motivated Randy Moss and Jerry Porter along with Calvin Johnson then that offense would be stacked.

Neither guy is an optimal choice, but at least Carr is younger and there's a chance that he can improve into a solid QB.

Guest Vitamin X

Also, Young was the cover boy for NCAA Football last year. Why would they do that? And it'd be confusing with McNair being on the cover just 3 or so years ago.

I like the idea of having Chad Johnson on the cover more.

Guest Eagle Man

There will have been three Titans on the Madden covers now. Not bad for a team that has never really achieved anything in almost 40 years.

I wouldn't put him in and I don't think he will. The numbers look pretty good but I just don't see as a Hall of Famer.

People are ready to put Tiki into the HoF but not Corey Dillon?

Dillon may not have been the reciever Tiki was but he rushed for about 1,000 more yards in his career and had about 20 more TDs than Tiki did as well.

At best I think both are borderline and probably won't make it in, but if you want to put Tiki in the Hall then you have to be ready to put Dillon in as well.