TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

NFL Discussion Forumtable

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6370412?FSO1&ATT=HMA

MIAMI (AP) - Former Atlanta Falcons coach Jim Mora Jr. has been invited to a second interview with the Miami Dolphins, who also plan to meet again with Georgia Tech coach Chan Gailey and New York Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, a person familiar with the team's search said Sunday.

The person requested anonymity because the Dolphins have declined to identify candidates.

The Dolphins reached an agreement with their defensive coordinator, Dom Capers, on a new three-year contract. He may remain in contention for the head coaching job vacated when Nick Saban left for Alabama on Jan. 3.

Dolphins officials pared down their list of candidates over the weekend. The team met with 12 coaches during the first round of interviews, which ended Wednesday.

Last week, the Dolphins said they planned to narrow the list to five candidates, then to two before making an offer.

Mora went 26-22 in three seasons with Atlanta before he was fired after this season. He led the Falcons to the NFC championship game in his first season, but the past two years they went 4-13 during the final two months, missing the playoffs both times.

Gailey is a former Dolphins offensive coordinator and former head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. He just completed the first year of a five-year, $5 million contract extension that ties him to Georgia Tech through 2010.

The 33-year-old Schottenheimer, son of San Diego coach Marty Schottenheimer, is the Dolphins' youngest candidate and has been with the Jets only one season.

Capers was a head coach for expansion teams in Carolina and Houston. His contract with the Dolphins expired over the weekend, and they feared he would be courted for a coordinator's job by other teams.

Yeah, so, I'm not really excited about any of these prospects.

Guest Vitamin X

Jim Mora wouldn't be so bad for Miami. He's a lot like Nick Saban, and Miami can follow their proud tradition of fading down the stretch with Mora also.

Some off-the-field news...

January 13, 2007 -- A judge sacked Michael Strahan's bank account yesterday, ordering the New York Giants defensive end to pay his ex-wife Jean a whopping $15.3 million plus hundreds of thousands of dollars in child support as part of their divorce.

Judge James Convery blasted Strahan in a written ruling, saying the arguments he used to get out of coughing up the dough lacked "any credible evidence."

The ruling means the gap-toothed grid standout will have to give his ex-wife more than half his net worth - as Convery held him to a prenuptial agreement stipulating he give Jean 50 percent of their joint marital assets and 20 percent of his yearly income from each year they were married.

Strahan tried to argue that he wasn't responsible for the 20 percent because his wife failed to ask for it every year. But the judge said that "the plaintiff is not credible in his claim that the defendant never asked for her separate funds."

Jean, who married the football player in 1999, celebrated the ruling yesterday.

"It pays to tell the truth, and I told the truth," she said. "I never asked for a penny more than the prenup that Michael and his lawyers wrote and made me sign. And all I ever asked for was that to be upheld.

"I'm thrilled that it was."

The decision came after a divorce battle that left the popular player's stellar reputation battered by allegations of adultery, forgery, lying and perversion.

It is also a huge financial tackle. Strahan must pay the $15.3 million and the extra child support even though his net worth is only about $22 million, according to court records.

With his career in its twilight years, this could be a blow from which his bank account never recovers.

But Jean said yesterday that it was his own fault. Strahan himself devised the uneven distribution spelled out in a prenup.

"He and his lawyer wrote it and made me sign it the night before we got married," Jean said. "We were, at the time, very much in love."

Jean Strahan had originally sought roughly $14 million, but the judge gave her back interest on the 20 percent annuity, raising the payout by $1.25 million.

The Giant will also have to pay $18,000 per month in child support, and will have to hand over a $311,150 lump sum for support dating back to August 2005. Jean will also get one of his four houses, but will have to pay him back for half of the mansion in Montclair, N.J.

Strahan lawyer Vicky Zigler declined to comment after receiving the decision in Essex County Family Court yesterday.

The couple was officially divorced last July after an acrimonious court battle that included allegations that Strahan:

* Ditched his wife and twin 2-year-old daughters, Isabella and Sophia, to hang out with alleged mistress Nicole "Cupcake" D'Oliveira on a trip to Phoenix.

* Jetted off to Caribbean islands with various other women, including the woman who sold the family their antique chairs.

* Secretly videotaped Jean's sister, Denise, while she undressed in a guest bedroom. Cops were called, and Jean left him for a while, but he then allegedly came back after he deposited $30,000 in her bank account.

* Forged her name on financial documents that were entered into the case.

* Hounded her and tried to use lawyers to intimidate her into changing their prenup.

In yesterday's ruling, Judge Convery also blasted Strahan for not remembering his wedding anniversary or wife's birthday.

Jean Strahan got the news of the decision at her lawyer's office. She exclaimed: "I'm going to Disney World!"

The Dolphins should hire Jim Mora, not Jr.

Jim Mora would be a blast down in Miami and could clearly turn that franchise around after he gets fired for snapping and losing his mind during a post game press conference.

As for Michael, I wonder if Subway is scrambling to pull those ads now that this info is getting out.

as I said in a different thread, just as those Coors Light press conference commercials start to get stupid and annoying, they go and bust out the "PLAYOFFS?" bit...that will never get old!

"PLAYOFFS?", "We talkin bout PRACTICE?", "You play to win the game!" and "CROWN THEY ASSES!" are the best sound bites ever.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"
as I said in a different thread, just as those Coors Light press conference commercials start to get stupid and annoying, they go and bust out the "PLAYOFFS?" bit...that will never get old!

"PLAYOFFS?", "We talkin bout PRACTICE?", "You play to win the game!" and "CROWN THEY ASSES!" are the best sound bites ever.

"Crown their ass" needs to find its way into a commercial.

Guest Legalise Drugs and Murder

Mora's Saints freakout is almost as good as PLAYOFFS? Very underrated.

"Hey coach, don't you think Coors Light is the true king of all beers?"

"Crown their ass!"

Budweiser would've been too obvious, wouldn't it

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"
"Hey coach, don't you think Coors Light is the true king of all beers?"

"Crown their ass!"

"Coach, were you at all surprised how delicious those bottles of Coors Light were?"

"They are who we THOUGHT they were!"

I have all three of Mora's classic rants on mp3.

Saints, Playoffs and of course "We gave them the figgin game. In my opinion, that sucked". That's what I loved about Jim Mora, he never beat around the bush after a bad game.

Saints, Playoffs and of course "We gave them the figgin game. In my opinion, that sucked".

"In my opinion, that sucked" came from the same press conference as "Playoffs?!"

The classic lost rant would be his "coulda, woulda, shoulda" rant after losing to the 49ers (incidentally, the same team that beat him before the "Playoffs?!" speech) in '87... damn, it's hard to believe Mora was in NO for a decade

Saints, Playoffs and of course "We gave them the figgin game. In my opinion, that sucked".

"In my opinion, that sucked" came from the same press conference as "Playoffs?!"

The classic lost rant would be his "coulda, woulda, shoulda" rant after losing to the 49ers (incidentally, the same team that beat him before the "Playoffs?!" speech) in '87... damn, it's hard to believe Mora was in NO for a decade

I have that one as well somewhere. I have 1 through 3 but I'm missing the fourth one, which is the "coulda, woulda, shoulda" rant. The NFL needs a return of Jim Mora, it's just the right time for his half crazed ass to get back out there.

Maybe he should take over in New York. That feels like the PERFECT town for Jim's comeback. He'd love Eli.

My favorite part is Mora's incredulous sputtering before his first "PLAYOFFS!?" Sounded like Porky Pig: Football Coach.

Giants stay in-house, name Reese general manager

Jan. 15, 2007

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- The New York Giants hired Jerry Reese as their general manager Monday, making him only the second black GM in NFL history.

Reese, who served as the team's director of player personnel the last four years, was considered the favorite among the Giants' in-house candidates to replace Ernie Accorsi, who held the post for nine seasons before retiring.

The 43-year-old Reese will formally be introduced as general manager and senior vice president at a news conference Tuesday morning, the team said on its website.

The only other black general managers in the NFL are Baltimore's Ozzie Newsome and Houston's Rick Smith.

How is he the second black GM when there are 2 listed as being in the league right now? I only bring this up because I have no idea who he is and had never heard of him before this hire.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"
Are you sure his son didn't fuck his own career over on a different radio show?

It's actually both: Sr. was the "Vick is a coach killer" line, Jr. was the "I WANNA COACH THE HUSKIES SO BAD" line. Not a media-savvy clan, those Moras. (Morae?)

So with Martyball coming back it's pretty clear that the Chargers won't be winning the SB next year either.