TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

OAO TNA Genesis PPV Thread - November/19th/2006.

The opener was atrociously bad especially with Monty-Boy trying and failing to mock HBK.

Matt Bentley doesn't fit with Devine and Kazarian in that group. I'm sure someone else would be better suited.

I said this in the pre-ppv talk but I should repeat it. There was no reason for the additional surplus of matches here. We could have done without the 2 opening tag matches, especially considering how short the main event turned to be.

13 minutes?

13 minutes?

Fuck that, I guess its a good thing I did over sleep and didn't order the ppv.

I also cant wait for Team 3d vs Naturals in the finals of a long reverse tag team tournament for the rights to fight for the belts.

I also cant wait for Team 3d vs Naturals in the finals of a long reverse tag team tournament for the rights to fight for the belts.

Except in the tag Fight For The Right tournament the teams have to get from the ring to their cars in the parking lot and have to try to beat out the traffic from the fans leaving after they announce the match. First eight teams out are in the tournament. Seeding involves getting run over by other cars, teams are seeded in the order they arrive at the hospital.

You know, up until the other day I was seriously thinking of ordering this PPV. But man after reading these results I'm glad I didn't.

The booking on this show is so insane it boggles my mind. I assumed Abyss was in his typical lame duck challenger mode and he WINS the title on a DQ? What, Sting can't even be a good little transition champ and actually job the belt?

The LAX thing just sounds silly...I'll reserve comment until I see where this is going, but in a deranged way this might get them over as faces in the long run.

What can I say about this main event? They bring in Angle, immediately rush him into a feud with Joe, and then do the most mindnumbing booking possible and job their OWN guy out to the outsider Angle in a way that proves he's inferior. Am I correct?

Yeah, I can guess Angle and Sting have control to some extent of their own booking. But here is the thing: Neither guy can draw jack shit. It's time to recognize that. Angle didn't mean anything to ECW when he was on there, and ironically enough WWE did a hell of a good job burying him on his way out (jobbing to Orton at Vengeance, RVD cleanly on TV, and then suspending him). Angle has meant nothing to TNA ratings wise. And from reading this booking it's obvious that the ECW lockerroom had it right about Angle blatantly trying to play backstage politics.

Welcome to WCW circa 1994.

You know, up until the other day I was seriously thinking of ordering this PPV. But man after reading these results I'm glad I didn't.

The booking on this show is so insane it boggles my mind. I assumed Abyss was in his typical lame duck challenger mode and he WINS the title on a DQ? What, Sting can't even be a good little transition champ and actually job the belt?

The LAX thing just sounds silly...I'll reserve comment until I see where this is going, but in a deranged way this might get them over as faces in the long run.

What can I say about this main event? They bring in Angle, immediately rush him into a feud with Joe, and then do the most mindnumbing booking possible and job their OWN guy out to the outsider Angle in a way that proves he's inferior. Am I correct?

Yeah, I can guess Angle and Sting have control to some extent of their own booking. But here is the thing: Neither guy can draw jack shit. It's time to recognize that. Angle didn't mean anything to ECW when he was on there, and ironically enough WWE did a hell of a good job burying him on his way out (jobbing to Orton at Vengeance, RVD cleanly on TV, and then suspending him). Angle has meant nothing to TNA ratings wise. And from reading this booking it's obvious that the ECW lockerroom had it right about Angle blatantly trying to play backstage politics.

As of late Angle has come off as an extremely self absorbed person who thinks wrestling is real and because he thinks he's the best that means he should never lose and he's the top draw and people come to see him.....even though none of that is the case.

As of late Angle has come off as an extremely self absorbed person who thinks wrestling is real and because he thinks he's the best that means he should never lose and he's the top draw and people come to see him.....even though none of that is the case.

bret-hart.jpeg

The prime time special oddly enough had an odd effect on me. I went away thinking it was a good show but that I'd pretty much had my fill of TNA for the week and saw no need in getting the PPV. And honestly when I looked at the lineup I saw the potential for goofy booking like what happened tonight. It's almost like TNA doesn't get when to give people a clean finish (i.e. title matches) and when to do something screwy that sets up future rematches (i.e. what should have happened with Joe/Angle).

Wow. Maybe I was in a good mood tonight but I thought the show was ok.

Styles-Christian was good, as was Daniels-Sabin. I love what they are doing with Sabin, I just wish Sabin would turn up the prick few notches.

As for the booking, stripping the tag belts off of LAX furthers their belief that TNA is full of racists who want to hold them down. So, in turn, they'll bring up the level of violence in subsequent matches.

I thought the World Title match was surprising but dragged. The idea that Sting let his belief that the title should be protected by an honorable champ push him too far is ok. It all depends on the follow up from here.

Ok. Jobbing Joe to Angle is stupid. But this isn't over yet, as shown by the end of the match.

So, would you rather have Joe beat Angle and then have Angle go over in the rematch showdown? Or would you rather have Joe chase Angle and get put over big in the end? Because, by losing the first match, Joe wants the win in the worst way, forcing him to turn up the level of his game. I like that.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

I, actually, enjoyed the PPV.

I totally dig "The Movement" gimmick of a bunch of losers. Kazarian really seems like he would make a great Stevie Richards-lite. And I love Raven, who looks awesome in a white suit.

Naturals/Lethal & Dutt, was actually a fun little 8 minute tag, apart from a few botches.

Daniels/Sabin was good. Sabin is more interesting as a heel, and Jerry Lynn should put him over.

Killings & Hoyt/Starr & Shelley was okay, kinda dragged. Nash made it entertaining, though.

I really liked Cage/Styles, and also like Styles way more as a heel. I just don't want him to feud with Daniels, again. A feud with Rhino would be good.

LAX getting stripped of the titles was total bullshit, unless they're turning face, and Cornette heel. I really don't want AMW to get the titles again.

I just want Sting to go away. He doesn't interest me. I had thought he would drop the title to Angle or Joe in December or January, so Abyss winning makes things interesting where they'll go with it. Yeah, Abyss won by DQ, that rule has been in TNA for years, Russo didn't create it since his return or anything. The look on Mitchell's face after Abyss won was awesome.

Joe/Angle was at least 5 minutes too short, but I liked the way they played the aftermath. This is still a hot feud to me, and the main one in TNA. It'll be interesting to see if they have Angle go after the title straight away now, against Abyss next month, or if they go with Joe/Angle II at next month's PPV. I'd be more interested in Joe/Angle II, but would understand if they would want to build to it for a few months into next year.

Enjoyable PPV, 7/10.

bret-hart.jpeg

I think you mean...

ic-michaels01st-1.jpg

I enjoyed the PPV too...

While some bitching is more than justified, a lot of posters here didn't even see it.

Not a fan of the Russo booking but the matches themselves were very good (particularly Daniels/Sabin, AJ/Cage, Joe/Angle)

Stop looking at the clock and enjoy the match! Great 14 minutes...a nice "cock tease" for the rematch. If they went all out now, the rematch would just be a repeat or letdown (HBK vs. Angle II and III).

The writing is getting frustrating with the Russo-riffic stuff (titles that mean something? what's that?) but the wrestling was very good tonight.

bret-hart.jpeg

I think you mean...

ic-michaels01st-1.jpg

I think someone needs to use kevin Nash's or Hulk Hogan's picture.

According to reports, fans were chanting "bullshit" when LAX was stripped. It'd be great if this was a way for LAX to be faces while still being against the gringos.

The chant was very audible on the Pay-Per-View.

My brothers were gonna order this tonight, but they didn't cause they couldn't find it on the Dish Network guide. Did anyone else have this problem also, and if so, what happened? Well, with all the negative talk in this thread, I guess it's a good thing we didn't order it.

No, Dish didnt carry the show tonight. You can buy the replay tomorrow if you would like, though. It was probably the Dish CEO having some hissy with someone again. A similar situation happened in early 2004 when the guy had a disagreement with Viacom and he had all their channels pulled from Dish.

From reading the spoilers it didnt sound as bad as some of you guys are making it out to be.

The only things that dissapointed me from the spoilers was Shelley being jobbed out to Hoyt, but it does make sense in the long run to further the Nash/Shelley/Starr storyline.

LAX being stripped of the titles, stupid again, but, if you were running a company and you had some pissed of mexicans threating to burn american flags in the office, wouldnt you punish them?

And jobbing Joe to Angle does anger me. I will wait and see how its played out, it could be good. And as someone mentioned, they dont want to burn out in the first match, like HBK/Angle did.

And, look everyone, ABYSS IS THE CHAMP! I like this because NO ONE saw it coming, pretty much all of us on here said he was going to loose. And this does also continue on from Stings interview the other week on impact where he said he would be an honerable champ.

Just my thoughts, im gonna watch the PPV when i can get hold of it and i will post my thoughts once ive watched it.

Guest Human Highlight Reel

Joe lost. Worse, Joe tapped out. Worse, Joe tapped out in 13 minutes. Worse, Joe tapped out in 13 minutes to a WWE name. Worse, Joe tapped out in 13 minutes to a WWE name after having beaten several TNA Main-Eventers and the NWA champion twice.

I, actually, enjoyed the PPV.

I totally dig "The Movement" gimmick of a bunch of losers. Kazarian really seems like he would make a great Stevie Richards-lite. And I love Raven, who looks awesome in a white suit.

Naturals/Lethal & Dutt, was actually a fun little 8 minute tag, apart from a few botches.

Daniels/Sabin was good. Sabin is more interesting as a heel, and Jerry Lynn should put him over.

Killings & Hoyt/Starr & Shelley was okay, kinda dragged. Nash made it entertaining, though.

I really liked Cage/Styles, and also like Styles way more as a heel. I just don't want him to feud with Daniels, again. A feud with Rhino would be good.

LAX getting stripped of the titles was total bullshit, unless they're turning face, and Cornette heel. I really don't want AMW to get the titles again.

I just want Sting to go away. He doesn't interest me. I had thought he would drop the title to Angle or Joe in December or January, so Abyss winning makes things interesting where they'll go with it. Yeah, Abyss won by DQ, that rule has been in TNA for years, Russo didn't create it since his return or anything. The look on Mitchell's face after Abyss won was awesome.

Joe/Angle was at least 5 minutes too short, but I liked the way they played the aftermath. This is still a hot feud to me, and the main one in TNA. It'll be interesting to see if they have Angle go after the title straight away now, against Abyss next month, or if they go with Joe/Angle II at next month's PPV. I'd be more interested in Joe/Angle II, but would understand if they would want to build to it for a few months into next year.

Enjoyable PPV, 7/10.

The thing I was thinking was that Angle would go after Abyss since he made him tap at the 2 hour special. Abyss can go over this time due to Joe distracting Angle. This then leads to King of the Mountain, Abyss vs Christian (the real #1 Contender?) vs Angle vs Joe vs Rhino vs Styles. This then then lead to a feud between Angle vs Joe over the title when one of them wins it.

I really hate how there are some people that take this stuff so seriously. I was reading what some people thought of the PPV. People have to remember, Genesis is one of the "throwaway" PPVs. And saying that, it was an entertaining PPV. Remember wrestling is not real, it's scripted. To be pissed off because someone loses a match is stupid. The matches, no matter who won were entertaining. And each one set up a storyline with one of both of the competetors in each match. They all did their job. If the show makes you want know where they go from here with certain people, then it did it's job.

Pre-Show Match: Young vs Roode: Set up something for both guys. It got Young more over with the fans and makes you want to know already what the announcement is from Young. It also set up the idea of what is Roode doing now? Where does he go from here (most people would say get him of tv, but I like him).

VKM vs The Movement: Raven starting a new flock. Not a bad idea. The guys in the group are talented, but I HATE Bentley's look. It just doesn't go with the group. VKM, as much as I don't care, it sets up more bashing from them. Also thought it was interesting that Gunn would do the HHH and Michaels moves to Bentley, Michaels cousin.

The Naturals vs Dutt/Lethal: Further the feud with Team 3D if you watched the promo before the match. The Naturals are a team no one seams to care about though, and that's not a good thing.

Chris Daniels vs Chris Sabin: Sets up Lynn vs Sabin, which could be a really GREAT match. I miss seeing Lynn in the ring as he rules all!

Killings/Hoyt vs Team AS: More heat between Shelley and his mentor and Starr. I'm actually liking Hoyt with Killings. Tag Team wrestling for a guy like him. He's got a good partner to cover up his shortcomings in the ring.

Cage vs Styles: Obviously set up Styles heel turn, which I have no problem with. He needs something new and an edge will work.

LAX vs AMW: Obviously this sets up, what happens next with LAX? Also, what's goign on with Petey? Is he going to bring in a partner and get a run for the titles?

Abyss vs Sting: What does Sting do now that he lost the title? Who goes up against Abyss?

Angle vs Joe: What happens here? Does Joe get a rematch, does Angle go for the title?

All this makes me want to tune in and find out what next!

Joe lost. Worse, Joe tapped out. Worse, Joe tapped out in 13 minutes. Worse, Joe tapped out in 13 minutes to a WWE name. Worse, Joe tapped out in 13 minutes to a WWE name after having beaten several TNA Main-Eventers and the NWA champion twice.

That sums up the idiocy of TNA right now.

Well, I was saying I was on the fence about ordering this show and by about 10 o'clock I was regretting it. I'm definitely a TNA fan, but this was one of the worse undercards they had ever put together. I'm a huge Styles and Christan fan, but I dosed off twice during the match. It almost seemed like nothing that happened before 9:30 mattered at all. Then, we got to the matches that I at least cared about. LAX and AMW was very short, which I can forgive if they're going to do a long feud. Cornette stripping LAX of the titles was stupid, and TNA should understand their crowd enough since they work in front of them all the time to know that they wouldn't side with Cornette there. Unless the goal is transform LAX into the new heelish faces, this was stupid. Abyss and Sting worked a decent brawl, and perked me up. I was shocked Sting took the tack bump, but I knew he wasn't taking the barbed wire bump to. I was surprised they did the title change, but not angry like some people. The match told a story and as a long time TNA viewer, I understood that the title changing on DQ rule wasn't new. They probably need to have Cornette or somebody explain the origin of that rule on Impact for new fans, since they haven't done one in awhile (and IIRC, only with the tag titles). But the match left an option for a rematch next month, or maybe even a big TV main if they want Sting and Christian next month.

As for Joe and Angle, the match was well on its way to living up to the hype. I didn't agree with the decision to have Joe tap, but I don't think it'll kill his character the way it killed Goldberg's, because Joe's been booked in more competitive matches and shown some vulnerability, but the fans still think he's bad ass. That won't change. My major complaint was the match the though. They booked this to be a one match show, which reminded me a lot of the attitude-era WWE shows where Austin and Foley had to save many PPVs. The undercard was so atypically underwhelming for TNA that I got the feeling they told everyone to hold back so at not to upstage the main event. Then they go out and are well on their way, and TNA cuts their balls off by giving them 15 minutes. I understand not wanting to give a way the whole store, because we are clearly on the way to a series of Joe/Angle matches, but to book the PPV around the one match, and end the show 15 minutes early is unacceptable. At least five of those minutes should have gone to the match, maybe even 10. Next time they book Angle/Joe, they are going to lose some buys from this time because people will think they won't give them enough time to do anything special. So yeah, going in I was underwhelmed by the line-up and it's fair to say I was underwhelmed by the show. I don't buy every TNA PPV (this was probably my 6th or 7th), but normally I'm entertained when I do. Tonight, I kept thinking about how I would have rather paid for the special than this show.

I liked the show. There were a lot of undercard matches that were really good. I was a little surprised that they are gonna strip LAX of the titles. I knew that many people were gonna be crapping on the stripping of the title. I was also really surprised that they actually followed continuity and had a title change on a DQ. I just wish that would have been brought up when Jarrett was champ... I was very surprised that they finished Joe/Angle with 15 minutes left for the PPV. It made me think that someone was injured or something happened and told the ref to have them finish the match early. Anybody hear anything on why the match was finished so early?

When did Angle's selling become lay around like a dead fish, then pop up when it's time to go on offense and act like nothing is wrong with you?

hasn't it been that way for 4 years now?

Saw the show- the ending to Abyss v. Sting was beyond retarded.

The wrestling was pretty good, but Angle-Joe being so short left a bad taste in my mouth.