TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Niggardly King

Mel Gibson... Now Kramer??!!

Guest Felonies!

Mitch Hedberg is greater than is greater than is greater than is greater than is greater than is greater than is greater than is greater than is greater than is greater than is greater than is greater than is greater than is greater than is greater than is greater than is greater than is greater than is greater than is greater than Dane Cook.

Makes sense.

This should come as no great surprise. If you watch the commentaries and features on the Seinfeld DVDs it's plain as day that Richards is fucking insane and takes himself way too seriously.

The apology on Letterman was hilarious and painful to watch at the same time.

Mitch Hedberg is greater than is greater than is greater than is greater than is greater than is greater than is greater than is greater than is greater than is greater than is greater than is greater than is greater than is greater than is greater than is greater than is greater than is greater than is greater than is greater than Dane Cook.

Makes sense.

You took the time to figure that out? I have to tip my cap to that.

The Letterman apology was cringe-inducing. I appreciate that he was apologizing from the heart and not reeling off some Mel Gibson Prepared Statement, but that didn't make it any less painful to watch. He seems genuinely upset by this.

Ignorance isn't necessarily hateful. I'm still very much convinced that Michael Richards isn't racist, not anymore than anyone who associates mostly with white people and is unaware of the power a word like "nigger" can hold. Of course, Richards knew it was a bad thing, but I doubt he saw it as anything worse than a way to get at the guy who was getting at him. Even though I thought some of the tirade was funny, most of it wasn't and the hecklers did not deserve that kind of response. Those of you in this thread who thought they did are either showing your own prejudices or are just as ignorant as Richards.

And Mel Gibson? It's all about context. He seemed (seems?) to really hate Jews.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I'll tell you what's really funny about this whole situation is the little newsclip I saw flipping around with some outraged black civil leader giving a speech while wielding a friggin' fork.

I'll tell you what's really funny about this whole situation is the little newsclip I saw flipping around with some outraged black civil leader giving a speech while wielding a friggin' fork.

I need to know where this is. I would pay good money to see that.

Richards was just trying to shock them. Its sort of seen in the way he was pissed off at the guy and he was trying to their attention and for them to shut up.

Did he go overboard? Yeah a little, but he's a comedian. If they wanted a fucking tame comedian, they shoulda gone to Carrot-top.

I find it funny that they get so offended though. I guess thats what happens when you live in L.A for too long.

Well, THAT is debateable.

I wouldn't say it's wrong, I don't know. But it's certainly not clear.

OTOH I would say there isn't a "#1" offensive word. There are some words you just don't use unless you're ready, willing, and sure to deal with the consequences.

Does the fact the he himself said he said it out of anger just go over the heads of people that are defending him? He wasn't trying to do shocking comedy. In his own words, he got pissed off and started on his rant. People are making excuses for him that he himself has shot down.

Bottomline is this, just like with Mel Gibson, the world knows how you feel now, I could give a shit. I will still watch a Mel Gibson movie if its good and if Richards ever does something worth a damn again, I will be there to watch it.

But really, have any of you seen his "Stand up" act. It is Jimmy Walker bad. ITs just some old guy on stage rambling about random things. Its like he isn't even attempting to be funny. If this ends his stand up tour, then trust me its a blessing. It is really that bad.

I think you have to be a weirdo if it does. It still was a kick ass show. I don't care if Richards was thinking "Good, I get to hand the nigger runner a cup of hot coffee to splash on his face in this script", that shit was funny.

I don't get why people let their personal opinion of a person sway if they like what they produce.

Unless it's Woody Allen. Cause fuck that dude.

The question is this:

Does this ruin Seinfeld / Kramer for you?

No. Until Seinfeld gets pulled off syndatication which is currently on 3 different channels and 5 episodes a day I don't have a problem with it. CNN/Headline News is running this story into the ground but still has reruns on TBS everyday so clearly there is no problem from the network perspective. Typical double standard here the news networks say that Michael Richards has crossed the line but keeps the Seinfeld series on its regular timespot at 5:05 on TBS. I'm not going to go out to Walmart to buy season's 1-6 for $24.95 or season 7 for $29.95 either but I will watch the show on tv if it is one of the better episodes like the Soup Nazi or any episode that has them in court.

To be honest, when I initially defended him, I'd only seen the 10-second clip on Larry King. After seeing the full diatribe on the internet, and hearing his comments afterwards, yeah he's a stupid racist.

As far as Seinfeld goes, I'll be just as bored with it as I was before, since I've seen every episode 5 times despite never really watching the show when it first aired.