TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dubq

Poison the Well

Probably one of the best metalcore bands I've ever heard of. Period. Opposite of December is definitely my favourite album.

They've got a new album in the works for early 2007, so I'm psyched for it.

Anyone?

They are decent, but there is much better metalcore bands. I have Tear From The Read, but never got into it too much. I really don't take PTW seriously, especially their fashioncore haircut fans.

No, they really don't. Fashioncore is a term used by fans/critics of heavy music to describe the sound that bands get when they try their best to sound like what's popular, which is emo-laden pseudo-hardcore. They're trying to sound hardcore, but only in the style that's in fashion. Thus, fashioncore.

PTW I fucking hate. Could never get into 'em. Darkest Hour, on the other hand, are amazing.

Hidden Hands is great, and, surprisingly enough, Undoing Ruin has grown on me a lot. I used to hate "Convalescense," and now it's one of my favorite DH tunes. I was going to see them at Rock and Shock night one this year, but I can't stand Soilwork or Norma Jean, so I decided to save my money and just see Gwar.

C'mon dude, even Converge has fashioncore haircut fans.

fashioncore? i don't even mean to be an ass all of the time but you numbnuts say the dumbest things.

This coming from Banky of all people...

No, they really don't. Fashioncore is a term used by fans/critics of heavy music to describe the sound that bands get when they try their best to sound like what's popular, which is emo-laden pseudo-hardcore. They're trying to sound hardcore, but only in the style that's in fashion. Thus, fashioncore.

PTW I fucking hate. Could never get into 'em. Darkest Hour, on the other hand, are amazing.

Hidden Hands is great, and, surprisingly enough, Undoing Ruin has grown on me a lot. I used to hate "Convalescense," and now it's one of my favorite DH tunes. I was going to see them at Rock and Shock night one this year, but I can't stand Soilwork or Norma Jean, so I decided to save my money and just see Gwar.

Recommend me some more metalcore, Corey or Stevie. Similar to Darkest Hour, Converge, etc. Most of the stuff I am into nowadays are just random recommendations from friends who work in the metal section at HMV, so it'd be cool to get some more input from 'other towns' :lol:

I've always understood Fashioncore to be the bands that dress up in whatever fashion their genre dresses like first and puts out music on the side, like Atreyu, From First to Last, Bleeding Through, Aiden etc.

Alright, dub...some recs...

Unearth (metalcore): Goes without saying that they're one of the best metalcore bands...screw that, METAL bands out there today.

Beyond The Embrace (Gothenburg-style melodic death metal): The "death" only comes from the fact that they play stuff like In Flames. More clean singing and screaming than actual growls, but they're a good band with a three-guitar attack.

Municipal Waste (thrash): AMAZING thrash band. Everything they do is fast, tongue-in-cheek, and full of energy.

Summer's End (metalcore): What would happen if The Misfits (Graves-era, who also sings on their tune "Headwound") decided to try their hand at Unearth and Beyond The Embrace tunes.

Watch Them Die (metalcore): Bathory meets Chaos AD-era Sepultura. Decent stuff, not mind-blowing, but a-okay.

Bleeding Through (gothic metalcore): Only for the first two albums. The Truth is only good for the videos released thus far and the guitar riffs. Everything else about it is awful. Portrait of the Goddess is their most straight-forward heavy album, but I'd say pick up This is Love, This is Murderous for a good mix of heaviness and good songs. Plus, it's the only album of theirs where Brandon's clean vocals don't sound awful.

The Atomic Ballroom Calamity (mathcore): Think Converge only much more fun. The main guitarist, Ilya, used to be the guitarist in my band TDR. Big upgrade, even if the songs aren't as accessable. Search for 'em on MySpace.

Pro-Pain (crossover/hardcore): The earlier albums are very solid. The rest are "meh" with some brightspots here and there. I'd say just pick up their "best of" album, as it has the best tracks off of their first 6 albums and two originals written for it.

Stormtroopers of Death (thrash): Better than Anthrax. Godfathers of crossover, and perhaps the most popular crossover band of all-time (even if they only have two studio albums and one live).

C'mon dude, even Converge has fashioncore haircut fans.

fashioncore? i don't even mean to be an ass all of the time but you numbnuts say the dumbest things.

heh.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"
So, when does Bizarre Genre Discussion Week end around here? I keep trying to find it on the TSM Calendar, but all I see is birthdays and shit.

Skiffle: A Treatise

Guest Legalise Drugs and Murder

I'm going to start an irish metal band and call it Corrcore.

There should just be a band called -core. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yes, Inc, "fashioncore" is almost always thrown around as a derogatory term. It's meant most often to describe bands who play what they play not because that's what they truly want to sound like but because that's what's popular. It's the same as late 80's/early 90's hair bands and mid-to-late 90's pseudo-grunge acts. Or like the bulk of these Faint rip-off's that permeate the airwaves today.

Yes, Banky, there are stupid terms for everything. "Fashioncore" happens to be the term with the best sound to it that describes bands of that sound.

There should just be a band called -core. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yes, Inc, "fashioncore" is almost always thrown around as a derogatory term. It's meant most often to describe bands who play what they play not because that's what they truly want to sound like but because that's what's popular. It's the same as late 80's/early 90's hair bands and mid-to-late 90's pseudo-grunge acts. Or like the bulk of these Faint rip-off's that permeate the airwaves today.

Yes, Banky, there are stupid terms for everything. "Fashioncore" happens to be the term with the best sound to it that describes bands of that sound.

Similar to "V-Rock" in Japan, or Visual-Rock. Bands that suck at what they play, but are popular because of how they look. The funny part about this is that the fans, bands, and record companies all know this, but just don't care. Oh, those Japanese. ;)

Melodic Norwegian Symphonic Black Metal

How many more qualifiers can I add to that and still come up with a band that fits that description? Red Hot Thumbtack, I'm looking at you.

Edited for accuracy.