TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

BCS National Championship Game Thread

The game is tommorrow night so probably should get this thread up. Obviously not nearly as much hype and anticipation for this game as last year's Rose Bowl.

My Prediciton: Ohio State 28, Florida 20

Its because of the new BCS format this year where they added a 5th BCS game by playing two games at the same site in one week.

Given the current state of the Cotton Bowl I doubt it. If they were ever going to promote a game into the BCS it would have been the Capital One Bowl. I would have preferred that over the current format. I'm not looking forward to the first year with two games at the Rose Bowl.

Agreed. I don't think a site needed a 2nd game in a one week period. Better off setting up a new site that doesn't host a BCS game but not neccesarily take a current bowl and promote it.

Guest Princess Leena

I'm more for a +1 game or 4 team elimination round after the bowls.

Anyway, the thing that sucks most is how late the title games are on weekdays.

Exactly. Think of how many people missed the BSU/Oklahoma ending because it went pass midnight and it was a work/school night. The Super Bowl always starts early enough to avoid going late, why can't they do this with these bowl games? They don't need to start at 8:30. This goes for the World Series as well.

Guest Princess Leena

NFL Playoffs are the problem.

The alternative I'd go with is move the Title Game to the current Rose Bowl slot. The game gets huge ratings there. Move all the other bowls back, or move more of the crap bowls after the Title Game. I know, I know... this ruins the New Years' Day bowl "tradition", but fuck that.

OSU 31, Florida 14. The game will be over by the half, and Leak will play like he usually does during pressure situations meaning he throws at least 2 picks and 5 or 6 balls in general that will make you wonder just what it was he was trying to accomplish.

I'm against playoffs in college ball, because I enjoy the fact that a team can go undefeated and not even sniff a championship. I also feel that the winner should not be determined on the field but by voting, like in gymnastics. Also I really like how part of your rating depends on how people *thought* you would do in the pre-season, instead of how you actually do.

BCS is pretty awesome but strawing straws might be that much better.

My thoughts for the Gators on this game.

On Offense

Florida needs to establish a running game early. Michigan showed us that Ohio State is succeptable to the run, so if Florida can establish a solid running game, it gives them a big boost. I'm sure Urban has some plays drawn up for Percy Harvin because he can break the game wide open for the Gators on a single play. I'd like to see him touch the ball at least 10 times.

Chris Leak needs to play the best game of his career. I believe the Gators have more depth at receiver than Michigan does, so if they can get some good matchups in the secondary, and Leak has time, he will have a good game. Tim Tebow is another X-Factor for the Gators. It will be interesting to see what, if any, plays Meyer has drawn up for Tebow because he also has the ability to change the game in one play.

With Meyer having this much time off, I'm certain we will see a number of trick plays to get the OSU defense off balance.

On Defense

The Gators have one of the best defensive units in the country, led by Reggie Nelson (who is likely playing his last game at UF). However, the key on defense for Florida will be getting pressure on Troy Smith without bringing heavy blitzes. If Smith has time to check down to his second and third options, we might see another Fiasco Bowl. The OSU run game is underrated. Pittman and Wells are very good backs who can hurt you. The Gators will also need at least one turnover to change the momentum.

Another note.. Reggie Nelson's mother recently passed away so it will be interesting to see how he reacts. Could be huge for UF.

Special Teams

Boy, I hope this game doesn't come down to a Chris Hetland field goal. For the return game, Ted Ginn is extremely dangerous and I hope Florida is prepared for him. For the Gators, Brandon James is also very dangerous on both punt returns and kickoff returns. James could be another X-factor for Florida.

Overall

This game will be much closer than people expect. But Ohio State has been here before, and Tressell is a big game coach. None of the Gators have been to a game this big before. I just don't think Florida will be able to get enough pressure on Troy Smith to disrupt his rhythm. One more concern I have, is if this game becomes a shootout, I'm not convinced that this Gator offense can keep up with the Buckeye offense.

I sure hope I'm wrong but...

Prediction: Buckeyes 31, Gators 28

Off the top of my head: OSU 31, Florida 21. Meyer comes up with a big elaborate gameplan that yields some success, but in the end Ohio State is just too balanced on both sides of the ball and pulls away in the second half.

This is the least compelling BCS title game since Miami beat Nebraska. I have no idea why, but I really don't care if I see this game or not.

Probably because it doesn't feel like a title game and knowing that it'll take place in the same stadium as the Fiesta Bowl Classic a week later doesnt help.

Even though they're a fellow Big Ten team, it still pains me to say that Ohio State is gonna win being a Michigan fan. I do think Florida has a shot but Tressel is too good of a big game coach and Troy Smith is too good of a big game player to let this one slip. I would suspect that Smith will scramble more due to the Gator pass rush. Florida will most certaintly pull out the trick plays but it probably won't be enough. I'll say OSU 34 Fla. 24

Exactly. Think of how many people missed the BSU/Oklahoma ending because it went pass midnight and it was a work/school night. The Super Bowl always starts early enough to avoid going late, why can't they do this with these bowl games? They don't need to start at 8:30. This goes for the World Series as well.

Yeah, who cares about deserving teams not getting a chance at the Title every single season? Some people are losing precious sleep!

I'd actual find it kind of funny if Florida blows out Ohio State. It won't happen, but the hilarity of Florida just crushing Troy Smith into the ground and knowing the only undefeated team in College Football wasn't going to finish in the top five even after knocking off the Big 12 champion would be great.

You just couldn't top that.