TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Princess Leena

American Idol

Jordin should get the boot. Melinda is the best singer and did even better than usual, and I respect Blake for doing more risky performances and trying to make his songs more than just glorified karoake.

I'd like to see Blake stay on, even though I think that both girls are better singers than he is. He at least tries to be modern and not just resinging someone else's songs.

I thought Melinda made a big mistake last night for not singing one ballad. All her songs were outside of what "brung her". Jordans last song was the best vocal of the night and Blake was the most consistant....Melinda may be in for an upset tonight.

According to dialidol, it looks to be Blake leaving tonight. Which'll really suck -- the two girls are interchangable, without personality, and incredibly boring. Doesn't matter who wins of those two; they'll fade into the background just like all the other idols not named Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood.

If Jordin's set to win this thing, then what's it matter if Blake is top 2? I'm glad for it actually. Gotta have someone to cheer for; the rest of the season has, well, sucked and sucked hard.

Here is what I said last week when everyone seemed to think Blake was toast:

"I have to wonder...is Blake really gone next week? We've yet to have a shock result really and I think Melinda may well be tossed if Blake comes up with something wild. Jordin is getting the God push, so she's going nowhere."

It hit me last night watching Melinda that I was a bit tired of her act. She got a bit...monotonous? As in she is technically solid on most anything but lacks the pizzazz and charisma to bust out huge as a star. In other words, she's been a backup singer for a reason.

This result doesn't surprise me. It seems vaguely rigged, mainly because they probably wanted a guy in the finals and also to not have 2 black girls in the finals. Although for those exact reasons I can sorta see it be legit, as in the various black chicks cannibalized each other and Blake capitalized and stayed around.

Jordin is obviously winning next week though. Let's not get carried away here.

Here is what I said last week when everyone seemed to think Blake was toast:

"I have to wonder...is Blake really gone next week? We've yet to have a shock result really and I think Melinda may well be tossed if Blake comes up with something wild. Jordin is getting the God push, so she's going nowhere."

It hit me last night watching Melinda that I was a bit tired of her act. She got a bit...monotonous? As in she is technically solid on most anything but lacks the pizzazz and charisma to bust out huge as a star. In other words, she's been a backup singer for a reason.

This result doesn't surprise me. It seems vaguely rigged, mainly because they probably wanted a guy in the finals and also to not have 2 black girls in the finals. Although for those exact reasons I can sorta see it be legit, as in the various black chicks cannibalized each other and Blake capitalized and stayed around.

Jordin is obviously winning next week though. Let's not get carried away here.

true, true. Plu smaybe since there was only 3 to vote for, all of Blakes supporters got nervous and voted for him more often, an dmaybe people assumed Melinda would cruise in so didnt bother to vote for her.

Honestly, the only one who I expect to have an immediate impact might be Blake since hes really different, but Jordin is young yet she can develop even more with the right mentors and could have a great career. plus remember, winning the show doesnt guarantee you to be successful. Kelly has completely distanced herself from the show and made it on her own, as has Carrie on the country side of things. but the others have struggled.

Anyhow interested to see the finals. If it goes on singing talent alone, Jordin wins it easily. It might be closer than you think though..

and what happened to Elliot? That horrible new hairdo makes him look way older and almost unrecognizable.

That and his new teeth. Went from looking like Amy Winehouse to the Orbitz girl since last season.

But he sang very well.

I'm pulling for Jordin, as I have been all along. I think Blake's ok, though. Whoever wins is going the Taylor/Reuben/Fantasia route though, I think.

That and his new teeth. Went from looking like Amy Winehouse to the Orbitz girl since last season.

But he sang very well.

I'm pulling for Jordin, as I have been all along. I think Blake's ok, though. Whoever wins is going the Taylor/Reuben/Fantasia route though, I think.

No. That's where Melinda would have gone and probably still will. Playing to a niche crowd. The other two will be pushed to a more mainstream crowd.

Well that's just it...

I mean, just watching it you knew that Kelly and Carrie were stars in the making. The others ones, not so much. McPhee went to a mainstream crowd but she certainly isn't a superstar (music-wise, at least). I don't think Blake has any chance of being mega famous because once he hits mainstream he's pretty much just a Justin Timberlake clone and an inferior one at that. I've seen Timberlake beatbox on many occasions too.

Jordin has a small chance to be a megastar, but really, she's got her work cut out for her. How many girls that are over 6' tall and pushing 170 (and still growing!) do you know that win over the country?

I'll agree - neither one is going to be a megastar but I could see either one outselling Taylor, whose win still mystifies me.

Breaking down the finals, I'd give the singing edge to Blake because he can be consistent. Jordin is going to get pimped but her problem is that she can be both oustanding and awful in the same song. She wasn't all that great in the Top Three and nerves could get her in the finals.

Career-wise, Jordin needs this more because it's apparent that Blake has some semblance of a "five year plan", and could probably carry it out with or without the title. Jordin has none, which isn't that surprising since she's 17, and probably hasn't even done her SATs.

In terms of judge pimpage, Jordin wins out. And I think that will win the title for her.

Guest Queen Leelee
If Jordin's set to win this thing, then what's it matter if Blake is top 2? I'm glad for it actually. Gotta have someone to cheer for; the rest of the season has, well, sucked and sucked hard.

To make the final more interesting, and possibly because Melinda could have got more votes. Queen Seventeen will squash Blake in votes.

Guest Queen Leelee

And another comparison to show how much this season blows:

The Seventeen Queens of the past 2 years: Jordin vs. Paris. Who's better. Paris, by far.

Next year may be the death nail for this show... it's going to be reeeeaallly bad. Auditions filled with mostly Sanjaya ripoffs. The AI powers will put the entire field as possible Sanjayas, except for the 2-4 people they want to win. Eww.

well here we go, tonight, the worst final 2 since Fantasia/Plastic Piggy DeGarmo...hell, it's probably even worse than that!

is everyone excited? yeah, me neither...

It's not even close to worse than that. It was obvious that Fantasia was winning and Degarmo was horrible.

The outcome is still in question, in my mind. I think Jordin will win but I wouldn't be shocked if Blake won. I mean, he's got all the teen girl vote, which is key.

Finales:

1. Clay and Reuben: Anyone's ballgame and even though both atypical, both were great singers.

2. Carrie and Bo: Again, two great singers and in totally different genres. Outcome in question.

3. Taylor and McPhee. Hotness vs. fad? I don't know - I felt it could have gone either way

4. Kelly and Justin. Slamdunk for Kelly and Justin was awful.

5. Blake and Jordin

6. Fantasia and Degarmo

No explanation needed for the last two.

DeGarmo was actually decent throughout her season but she choked super hard in the final competition episode and I think it completely swayed things Fantasia's way, who had a flawless night.

I think people tend to forget how lousy quite a bit of the first season's contestants really were. Probably due to that year having the best overall winner yet (Kelly Clarkson). But honestly I've checked out some of the AI rewind shows in moments of boredom and that year had a pretty lame group of talent aside from Kelly. I mean Justin Guarini? Hell, Blake Lewis right now is better and more creative. Nikki McKibbin finished 3rd? Obviously Melinda Doolittle is better than her by a mile. I forgot the black chick's name who finished 4th on the first year, but LaKisha this year was certainly better.

It's not even close to worse than that. It was obvious that Fantasia was winning and Degarmo was horrible.

The outcome is still in question, in my mind. I think Jordin will win but I wouldn't be shocked if Blake won. I mean, he's got all the teen girl vote, which is key.

Finales:

1. Clay and Reuben: Anyone's ballgame and even though both atypical, both were great singers.

2. Carrie and Bo: Again, two great singers and in totally different genres. Outcome in question.

3. Taylor and McPhee. Hotness vs. fad? I don't know - I felt it could have gone either way

4. Kelly and Justin. Slamdunk for Kelly and Justin was awful.

5. Blake and Jordin

6. Fantasia and Degarmo

No explanation needed for the last two.

I'm going to sound like a broken record when I say that season three was pretty bad season overall.

- John Stevens was a good Standards crooner who had limited range but got the sympathy vote. I forget if this was pre-VFTW.

- Jon Peter Lewis made the Top 12 by virtue of looking like a pen salesman and doing the Thriller while singing Elvis.

- Jasmine Trias was cute and had the Hawaii vote.

- Leah LeBelle was Paula's Wild Card choice. 'Nuff said.

- LaToya London was a good singer without much personality

- Jennifer Hudson was incredibly raw. Never thought she'd ever get her "big break" by being in a movie musical starring Beyonce.

- I hated Degarmo. Betcha couldn't figure that out.

- George Huff was the best male singer, but something was a little... off with him. He did give us a great unintentional comedy moment in the Top 7 results show though.

I'm not a big Fantasia fan, but looking back you realize that she'd have to try really hard in order to not win the title.

As for season 5, I'd actually bump that DOWN to 5th best finale, simply because McPhee and Hicks was probably the worst possible combination of competitors from the final 5 (Daughtry, Elliott and Paris being the other three), and Hicks being the worst titleholder this far.

I really have to disagree with you Mik about your rankings of the finales.

Finales:

1. Clay and Reuben. This one you got right. But this one really is a no-brainer.

2. Kelly and Justin. This was NOT a slamdunk for Kelly and Justin was NOT awful. Justin was very good on the show and was easily the favorite going into the season and MAYBE even going into the finale. Justin was unquestionably the person the judges were pimping from day one. And Kelly didn't even have the benefit of being the most pushed girl. That honor went to Tamyra. And this is where I have to strongly disagree with you cabbage. Lakisha was not even close to being in Tamyra's league. Tamyra is one of the better singers in the show's history and could easily have won any other season except for probably Carrie's. So this result was definately in question.

3. Taylor and McPhee. This is where things take a serious nose dive in competitiveness. This one is third for only one reason: McPhee's performance of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." She nailed it so good in the semi-finals and again in the finale that you could see her winning over some people with it. But Taylor was so far out in front that it didn't really matter.

4. Fantasia and Degarmo. This one was pretty much a slam dunk. Lushus is right about DeGarmo though. She improved all throughout the season and was't a bad singer really. Like he said though, she bombed in the finale and left little doubt who would win. But not as little doubt as there would be the next year.

5. Carrie and Bo. This is by far the least competitive of all the years. Carrie was the obvious winner from day one of the show. She was by far the most pushed by the judges and rightfully so, because she was by far the best singer on the show and easily one of the best in the show's history. There was no question what-so-ever who was winning this and was all about corrinating Carrie.

Blake and Jordin - I won't rank this one yet, as it has not happened and I don't think you can judge fairly until after the performances. If they both nail all of their performances, I could easily see it being as high as number 2 since I think either could easily win it. If they both do ok then I see it ending up on either side of the Taylor-McPhee season. And if someone bombs, and I think this is a strong possibility, it could end up on the downside of Fantasia-DeGarmo.

I'm definately looking forward to the performances tonight though. I think these are the two with the most interesting possibilities as far as performances. Before performances, I'm leaning slightly towards Blake winning.

I don't know about the Carrie/Bo finale...man, when he sang that one song without music, I was almost certain he was a lock right then and there. One of the best performances of all time on AI.

It was a fantastic performance, but it wasn't even close to being enough to catch him up to Carrie. She was given the title on day one. Half way through the season Simon declared her the winner and said she would sell more albums than any previous idol before her. There was no way she wasn't winning. She never even made an appearance in the bottom 3 if I recall correctly.

It was a fantastic performance, but it wasn't even close to being enough to catch him up to Carrie. She was given the title on day one. Half way through the season Simon declared her the winner and said she would sell more albums than any previous idol before her. There was no way she wasn't winning. She never even made an appearance in the bottom 3 if I recall correctly.

I think that Carrie was the ultimate under the radar (well, as UTR as you can get when you have to stand on a stage and sing) competitor on this show. She wasn't always the best singer on any given day, but she was consistent and she never really had a bad night. But to me, her performances were just... there. Nothing to really write home about. But then the finale hit, and it was pretty obvious that the "hit single" wasn't designed for Bo Bice. Thus, all Carrie had to do was stay consistent.

Bo got jobbed because the cute-but somewhat bland blonde chick would sell more records than the somewhat dirty looking guy who appeared in TSG. Obviously, they were right. Good call, 19 Entertainment.

Carrie was most definately not under the radar. She was the chosen one from the start of the season, and the judges let you know it. How can someone that Simon declares the winner at mid-season and basically says is "better than Kelly" be under the radar? The only thing I can think of is that you just weren't a fan and thus seriously underestimated her. But there is no doubt that Carrie was the most obvious winner in the show's history and probably will remain that.

I think that Carrie was the ultimate under the radar (well, as UTR as you can get when you have to stand on a stage and sing) competitor on this show. She wasn't always the best singer on any given day, but she was consistent and she never really had a bad night. But to me, her performances were just... there. Nothing to really write home about. But then the finale hit, and it was pretty obvious that the "hit single" wasn't designed for Bo Bice. Thus, all Carrie had to do was stay consistent.

Bo got jobbed because the cute-but somewhat bland blonde chick would sell more records than the somewhat dirty looking guy who appeared in TSG. Obviously, they were right. Good call, 19 Entertainment.

1. Carrie had plenty of memorable performaces, most notable singing Cryin by Roy.

2. The point of the is to produce the best singer and/or the most sucsessful future singer. Carrie's voice blows Bo's away and Carrie's album is wildly sucsessful. So in no way shape or form can Bo be jobbed

3. Where is Bo now? Clay, Daughtrey, and even Pickler and Mcphee are more sucsessful than he is for a record POV. If he was so good, he would have made a decent record.