TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Man Who Sold The World

Van Roth or Van Hagar?

Me and a co-worker got into a heated debate because I told him David Lee Roth is reportedly touring again with Van Halen and his response was on par with one of the dumbest things I've ever heard in my life:

"Eh, Van Halen was the best with Hagar."

And I vomited.

So, you see where I stand. I stand with Van Halen's "1984". Where do you stand?

I prefer VAN CHERONE.

But really though, has to be with Roth. Although honestly, I kinda like Hagar's voice better than Roth's, but nothing beats the material they put out with Diamond Dave and he's much more fun to see live.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

"Right Now" is a cool song and one of the few music videos I've ever liked, but still, Roth.

Roth and Hagar are both exceedingly annoying as singers, but the songwriting was considerably better when Roth was the frontman, for whatever reason.

Also, I'd take their debut album over 1984 without hesitation.

I admit my all-time favorite VH song is a Hagar song ("Dreams"), but the guy did turn a totally bad-ass rock band into a bunch of Journey-esque pussies so I can see why the prevailing sentiment is that Roth is better.

Hagar is only good if you like hair metal of the time (Bon Jovi etc).

Roth no question.

And 1984 is better than Van Halen I (but personally i've really been digging Women and Children First).

I would go with Van Roth, because I still like the first two Van Halen albums, where as I don't think a lot of the Van Hagar stuff holds up quite as well.

Though "Poundcake" kicks ass through a stereo with a good sub hooked up.

Guest The Showcase

I don't think Hagar made them into Journey-esque pussies considering that Eddie is the one that wrote the tunes during Hagar's time with the band. If anything, Hagar is the one that projected the sound that Eddie wanted out of his material at the time.

Regardless of who says what, at the end of the day, Eddie Van Halen was the one with the control over it all.

With that said, I personally prefer Van Hagar to Van Roth, although I think that Van Halen as a whole kicks all kinds of ass. Hell, they had even a couple good songs with Gary Cherone.

I like both! :)

But Roth just had so much charisma and energy and I feel that his songs were just better.

However, it was almost hard to listen to old Van Halen stuff when he Roth hired to do talk radio in NY last year. It was awful. I'll never get tired of Van Halen though. Way too much fun.

stephen-root-sized.jpg

"In the immortal words of Van Halen ... before that dumbass Sammy Hagar joined the group... I'm hot for teacher."

I'd take their debut album over 1984 without hesitation.

Word. Van Halen I is one of the greatest Rock albums EEEEEEEVER. Hagar did some great music with Van Halen, but it cannot match the golden days with Diamond Dave.

I like both, myself but Roth had it over Hagar and always will.

I saw Roth over last summer, and it was a cool show, despite his act being more than just a little tired.

Though I love Van Halen I, Fair Warning was the pinnacle for songs during that era..

"Van Halen with David Lee Roth made you want to party, get fucked up, dance, and have a good time. Van Halen with Sammy Haggar made you want to get married, settle down, and drive a mini-van."

-David Lee Roth.

Patty "The Warrior" Smyth (Not to be confused with Patti Smith) was the original choice for Roth's replacement. That would probably have been a lot worse than Van Hagar (if that is possible).

Sammy Hagar was a good choice in theory, his solo stuff shows that he's not a half bad cock rock type singer but Van Hagar was so neutered by Sammy Hagar and Van Halen standards.