TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

This week in the NBA

Toronto trades Fred Jones to Portland for Juan Dixon.

Not saying that's the deal that puts them over the top or anything, but I don't think it would be that shocking if the Raptors won the east this year. Chances are slim, but they are the scariest team right now in that conference.

Miami's dead. So either New York or New Jersey's going to get crushed by Detroit in the opening round, and there won't be a single good series in the East now.

EDIT: Chris 'Mad Dog' Russo ripping Wade for taking a wheelchair to leave the court was hilarious. I'm paraphrasing here but the gist was, "You dislocated your shoulder, you're not paralyzed Dwyane, get up on your 2 feet and walk off the court. Leaving the court on a wheelchair? A WHEELCHAIR? This is a joke. . . A WHEELCHAIR?!?!? COME ON!"

I don't get why everyone's counting out Cleveland so easily. So, LeBron finally discovered that you don't have to play hard during the regular season. Big deal. Come playoff time, he'll be ready to go.

I'm not sold on Cleveland. Their guard play and bench have been inconsistent all year. I don't see them beating the Pistons, though they might be able to take the inexperienced Raptors. I'm just hoping Toronto does something to mix things up. Washington is another interesting team, but their lack of defense could really hurt their chances. Honestly, though, the East is Detroit's to lose right now.

Although, something else to remember, is that if Miami does still stumble into the playoffs (which is entirely possible if they play .500 the rest of the way), they'll have Wade back for the first round. Everyone in the East should make it a top priority to beat down the Heat when they get the chance, because you still can't count out Wade and Shaq in the playoffs even if they haven't played together but 10 games or so this year.

Former Celtic Dennis Johnson is dead.

RIP

Just saw that, but I guess his HOF position is solidified now. One of those guys that was never outstanding in any one category but did everything well enough that he became a great player.

I'd wager the Bulls have as good of a chance as any of the non-Detroit teams in the East. I'll get my first good look at Toronto tommorrow as they play the Pacers, but I don't really see another team that stands out.

EDIT: Obviously I don't mean any team in the East, but rather the probable playoff-bound ones. I'd include Chicago, Cleveland, Toronto, Indiana, Washington in that group. And of course Miami if they can still get in.

RIP

Just saw that, but I guess his HOF position is solidified now. One of those guys that was never outstanding in any one category but did everything well enough that he became a great player.

Never outstanding in any one catagory? Are you kidding? That guy was one hell of a scorer. So he scaled it back in his Celtic years, that guy was one hell of a scorer. His career average had to be something close to 18-19 points. And thats with the fall off years counted.

Guest Queen Leelee
I heard Kidd's staying. FUCKSHITFUCKSHIT

Boo to that. The Lakers should have done that deal, even if they had to give up Bynum.

Rapist + Kidd + Odom = Favorites in the West.

Rapist + Wifebeater* + Odom = Not favorites in the West. They would be better, but the Lakers were smart here. Dallas and Phoenix are going to be tough as hell to eliminate. No reason to risk your future when you have to eliminate one or maybe both to get to the finals.

Guest Queen Leelee

They only have so many years of Kobe's prime left. The time is now.

Kidd, amongst the best passers in the league.

Kobe, best player in the league.

Odom, matchup hell.

A lot of good shooters.

I really think the Lakers could have pulled it off. Kidd was optimal.

Now, they keep playing Smush, and have no chance of getting past the 2nd round. Oh well.

Guest Vitamin X

I agree with Cena's Writer. The Lakers have been all about keeping their future stars intact, which is why they kept Kobe over Shaq a couple years ago. And no one's getting past Phoenix or Dallas or SA in the West, anyways.

So the Blazers acquired Fred Jones, is that any good? I suppose since he lives here during the offseason it's a nice fit for him and Dixon was rumored to be getting traded anyhow. From what I see in his numbers, he'd be an okay bench player and his contract expires at the end of next season, so whatev.

I agree with Cena's Writer. The Lakers have been all about keeping their future stars intact, which is why they kept Kobe over Shaq a couple years ago. And no one's getting past Phoenix or Dallas or SA in the West, anyways.

So the Blazers acquired Fred Jones, is that any good? I suppose since he lives here during the offseason it's a nice fit for him and Dixon was rumored to be getting traded anyhow. From what I see in his numbers, he'd be an okay bench player and his contract expires at the end of next season, so whatev.

Fred Jones was a star at U of O and is something of a local hero. He's an okayish player but this was more to appease the locals than anything else.

By the way, I'm all for keeping young talent over aging superstars, but Kupchak fucked up big time on this one. Bynum is going to need at least 3 or 4 more years to become a franchise level player and by that time Kobe probably won't be the elite player he is. They wouldn't have become the favorites, but they would have had a legitimate shot to win it this year and next. I don't see the point in building towards a title at some vague point in the future when you have the chance to win today. It's completely misguided. That stuff works for the Celtics or Knicks or some other team that has no hope of winning a title in the next half decade, but not the Lakers.

The Lakers would be better off getting another scorer than getting another distributor.

Besides, come playoffs, the Lakers are going to be outclassed up front by pretty much anyone they'd be likely to play as is. Imagine how much worse it would get if they were forced to start Ronny Turiaf at the center position with god knows who coming off the bench. Dirk, Amare, Duncan, and Yao would probably beat the shit out of the current center setup of the Lakers, but at least they have a rotation to avoid mismatches all game. Without Bynum, the Lakers would be absolutely fucked up front. All the guards in the world aren't going to save an Odom-Turiaf-Walton front court.

Nobody thinks the Bulls have a shot in the East?

I think they have a shot.

Compared to the Pistons I'd say they have a bit better defense (or at least, on par with the defense) and better coaching, two pretty important things for a playoff series. Their offense is inferior though, they rely even more than the pistons on the perimeter jumpshot.

I was very relieved they didn't get Pau Gasol.

In a perfect world, I would trade Bynum for Garnett and Odom for Kidd.

DYNASTY.

Seriously though, this team needed to trade it's expiring contracts for a big. They didn't, and they won't get past the 2nd round. I wouldn't have traded Bynum for Kidd, that would be telling Cap that all his work was for shit. This offseason, someone will be had. Bet your ass.

RIP

Never outstanding in any one catagory? Are you kidding? That guy was one hell of a scorer. So he scaled it back in his Celtic years, that guy was one hell of a scorer. His career average had to be something close to 18-19 points. And thats with the fall off years counted.

His career average was closer to 14 or 15, and I believe he only reached 18-19 for two or three years and IIRC, he was never a top 10 scorer in the NBA.

I wouldn't really call that outstanding, good but not outstanding. I'll have to take back my earlier comment though, he was a great defender.

Man, I'm so glad the Lakers didn't mortgage their future. I couldn't believe how many people were evaluating the team's trade needs without taking into account the fact that they're not 100% healthy. In my opinion, the Lakers were a Leandro Barbosa away from contending for tops in the West at the beginning of the year. They didn't get him, they didn't get Bobby Jackson, they didn't get Mike Bibby, and Jason Kidd costs too much. And so they have to deal with Smush getting regular minutes, that's just the way it is. Come playoff time, the Lakers will be fine upfront. No point in losing Bynum or Farmar for one or two years of an old man trying to win a championship before he retires.

Darrell Armstrong just made a 3/4 court shot with 00.5 on the clock. Awesome shot. However, they trail by 16 at the half thanks to 61% shooting from the Raptors, including 14 of their first 15 shots in a 40-point second quarter.

Another interesting tidbit regarding the Lakers

Radmanovic says he lied about shoulder injury

February 23, 2007

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. (AP) -- Los Angeles Lakers forward Vladimir Radmanovic admitted Friday that he lied to the team about how he injured his shoulder during last week's All-Star break.

"The truth is that I hurt myself in a fall while snowboarding," Radmanovic said in a statement issued by the team.

He apologized for covering up what happened last Saturday in Park City, Utah. Initially, he told the Lakers he fell on a patch of ice while walking and separated his right shoulder. He is expected to be out two months.

"Being young and sometimes immature, I initially panicked and made up a false story about how I hurt myself," the 26-year-old forward said. "However, over the past few days my conscience has been bothering me terribly. I am not a dishonest person and could no longer live with this deception."

Lakers spokesman John Black said no decision had been made about possible disciplinary action against Radmanovic.

Some player contracts ban athletes from participating in risky activities such as skiing and snowboarding. It's not known whether Radmanovic's contract contained such language.

Radmanovic has been a disappointment in the first season of a five-year, $30.2 million contract. He was slowed by a hand injury early in the season and is averaging 6.9 points and 3.4 rebounds.

The Lakers are already without center Kwame Brown and forward Luke Walton, who are sidelined because of sprained ankles.

The Lakers were to host the Boston Celtics on Friday night.

Phil hates Vlad, so he'll probably try to have his contract voided, or suspend him without pay until he's ready to come back. He'll never get a contract of that length and dollar figure again.