TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Giuseppe Zangara

Sophomore Slumps

Interpol - Antics

The Futureheads - News and Tributes

I don't recall there being many other Futureheads fans here, so I expect no one to take me to task for that, but Antics? I don't remember why I ever liked it.

edit: And since I know people will ask, for the sake of this thread, count LPs, only. No EPs.

Liars - They Were Wrong, So We Drowned

I appreciate their desire to branch out and do something new instead of just remaking TTUAIATABAMOT, but an album of tuneless, droning guitar noise really wasn't the direction they should have gone. Thankfully, Drum's Not Dead was something of a return to form.

Define "slump". Is it a big disappointment? Is it not living up to previous standards set? Not expanding enough one groundwork laid before?

Any of that could constitute a slump, yeah. Basically, good first album; mediocre/bad second album.

I don't think A Weekend In The City is Silent Alarm good but I wouldn't call it a slump. I think most fans were so amped on AWITC being Silent Alarm II and it wasn't, nor was it ever supposed to be.

Bloc Party tried something different on the new one, but it didn't work for them. Even though I do not care much for either, Silent Alarm compared to A Weekend in the City shows a band better off at writing hook-filled guitar rock of the former than the ponderous, atmospheric keyboard washes of the latter. AWitC just sort of plods along whereas SA moves.

Guest Eagle Man

October is a big one. First thing that came to mind. There are a few cool moments, but it's several steps below Boy and War.

A Saucerful of Secrets is bad psychedelic wankery. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn was just average psychedelic wankery.

I'm still fond of Antics, especially "Evil" and "C'mere." It stumbles a bit, because "Narc" is kind of lame and placed weirdly on the album, and because "Length of Love" and "A Time To Be So Small" are probably the weakest tracks on the whole thing; since they finish the album, it sort of ambles its way to a sluggish finish over those last 9 minutes. TOTBL is definitely better (one of my favorite albums, in fact), but Antics doesn't hit slump levels for me.

I'm still fond of Antics, especially "Evil" and "C'mere." It stumbles a bit, because "Narc" is kind of lame and placed weirdly on the album, and because "Length of Love" and "A Time To Be So Small" are probably the weakest tracks on the whole thing; since they finish the album, it sort of ambles its way to a sluggish finish over those last 9 minutes. TOTBL is definitely better (one of my favorite albums, in fact), but Antics doesn't hit slump levels for me.

While I like all the tracks on the album I agee with you here.

As for slumps, the new one from Clap Your Hands and say Yeah sucks.

The Stone Roses a great example of a sophmore slump. Their debut is a classic of jangly, 60's inspired rock/Britpop. The follow up album though, was dreadful and is probably one of the worst albums of the 90's IMO. No wonder they broke up afterwards...

Surely Television are a prime example.

I like Adventure; the highs are not as high as on Marquee Moon, but it is more consistent. I don't always listen to MM all the way through; I often stop after the title track.

I don't know if you can call it a "slump", but Wu-Tang Clan's over bloated double album Wu Tang Forever pails in comparison to their first album.

I think I'm the one person in the world who prefers Wu-Tang Forever to 36 Chambers. I've never gotten the love for the debut at all, I find it fairly unimpressive. Forever, while not mind-blowingly great, is just far more enjoyable to me (it should be noted, I seem to strangely like many over bloated double albums).

Arrested Development following up 3 Years... with Zingalamaduni was a pretty massive letdown, really.

how can any self respecting rap fan dismiss enter the wu tang and intelligently follow it up with an arrested development comment?

showtime after boy in da corner was kinda weak.

and arcade fire. duh.

Although I didn't care for the first Futureheads album half as much as Inc, (there are some good songs on it) I agree that the second one is pretty worthless. Still don't know how that could surprise anyone. I mean, the s/t's hardly devoid of filler. The first three songs aren't particularly good, and neither is 'Carnival kids'.

October is a big one. First thing that came to mind. There are a few cool moments, but it's several steps below Boy and War.

Album that came to my mind right away when I saw this thread. In high school, I was a huge U2 fan, and October was their last album I purchased. I listened to it, went "What is this crap?" and I don't think I've ever bothered with that CD since.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

While definitely far from a slump, I think the self-titled is superior, but I've gone into detail as to why too many times to reiterate that point here. Both albums are excellent.

I'd say Lies following up Appetite for Destruction but I'm not sure if Lies qualifies as a sophomore album. Though Lies was good not AFD good.

The Game- Doctors Advocate

The best on this cd barely matches up to the mediocre on The Documentary.

holy shit. its the total opposite. i can't even fathom such ignorance. have you even listened to the doctors advocate? it was all game. it was all his fierocity. there was no hype men. just hard beats. club tracks. not sing-a-long g unit bullshit with 50 getting all puffified by talking in the background while others rap. this is probably as close to the west coast glory days as we've gotten since about '93. just listened to its ok. i think that says it all. come on.

franz ferdinand's aptly titled 'you could have it so much better'.

portishead - 'portishead'. basically more of the same, with songs that are far less memorable (except the first two tracks).

and i think both these bands used a theremin on their debut album.

I'd say Lies following up Appetite for Destruction but I'm not sure if Lies qualifies as a sophomore album. Though Lies was good not AFD good.

I'm not a huge G'n'R fan, but I thought Lies was pretty good. Not sure why it doesn't get as much attention as their other albums.

The Game- Doctors Advocate

The best on this cd barely matches up to the mediocre on The Documentary.

holy shit. its the total opposite. i can't even fathom such ignorance. have you even listened to the doctors advocate? it was all game. it was all his fierocity. there was no hype men. just hard beats. club tracks. not sing-a-long g unit bullshit with 50 getting all puffified by talking in the background while others rap. this is probably as close to the west coast glory days as we've gotten since about '93. just listened to its ok. i think that says it all. come on.

Ok, you got me. I totally made that post without listening to Doctors Advocate. Good call!

"Church For Thugs" slays anything you'd care to name on DA.