TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

The Dark Knight

I don't know. People with casual interest in it might be waiting it out for a few more days for the crowds to thin out a bit. If I hadn't been invited to see this, I probably would have waited until Tuesday ($5 night at one of the local theaters) to see this.

And the last scheme of evacuating the city worked because otherwise we wouldn't have gotten a cameo from Tiny Lister dammit! I marked just a tiny bit when Z Gangsta showed up!

this really hurt the structure of the movie when

the joker got caught, and they still had 10+ more minutes to wrap up with two-face. it ended with a whimper, and it shouldn't have. and they did so little with two-face that there didn't even seem to be any point in showing him. why not just have him disappear after the hospital, to come back in the next movie? this was the same problem that 'spider-man 3' had with venom.

I agree. I don't think the ending was as played out as it should've been.

According to the AP and Variety "The Dark Knight" broke the record for best opening day with $66.4 million on Friday.

I saw the movie and loved it. Heath Ledger was beyond awesome and now joins Christopher Reeve as Superman as the second iconic performance of a comic book character.

I do agree with some that the ending did leave an empty feeling, but I think that for me personally it had alot to do with how the final scene between Batman and Joker played out and realizing that Heath isn't around anymore to play the Joker again if they wanted to bring the Joker back. Seriously I was more bummed than excited after the film ended.

I saw the movie today and LOVED IT. Ledger's Joker in this is seriously the best villain I've seen in a movie. What a sick and twisted fuck The Joker was in this, and I thought his humor was the best sick humor I've seen in a movie (especially the pencil trick!).

I thought Harvey Dent's character was great in this movie as well. They captured his story arc very well, with him going from D.A. to transforming into Two-Face. Loved the Two-Face makeup too, very disgusting.

I really have no idea how a third movie could even take place though, considering the ending. By the way can someone explain to me what the Riddler is like in the current comics? He's the villain I would have in the next movie. Just imagine the viral marketing that movie could have!

I'm trying to think of who'd be a good Riddler and my mind is drawing a blank. I think The Riddler should probably be played by a comic actor or at the very least, an actor who has the capacity to do comedy but obviously not someone as wildly over the top as Frank Gorshin or Jim Carrey.

Okay here are my thoughts in some amount of detail, some of which may counter my brother's opinion (DarKnight).

Pros:

Obviously Ledger is amazing. We knew this going in and it's been obvious for months. I love his take on The Joker, though to me the definitive Joker is always going to be the animated version voiced by Mark Hamill. I particularly loved his scene with the various crime bosses and in my view his best scene in the movie was when he set fire to the millions of dollars because "it's not about the money." Truly a man of principles, whatever those may be.

Some have said the Dent subplot wasn't delved into enough. Personally I thought it was delved into more than I actually expected. This was far from some lame crap like Venom just showing up the last 15 mins. of the movie. In fact I think in some ways Harvey Dent carried this movie.

Incredible tension. This is easily the scariest, most vicious Batman movie ever. It was also cool to see the generally useless female lead get whacked...that was just ballsy as hell.

As expected guys like Caine, Freeman, and Oldman did excellent character work. Alfred had his moments, such as the speech about the dude in Burma. Lucius Fox stood up to Batman's use of technology that invaded people's privacy. But it was really Gordon that got the most screen time here, regardless of him being "killed" for a while.

Cons:

No batcave? WTF??? I know that Wayne Manor was burned down in Batman Begins, but seriously just rebuild it and let's have a decent mansion and hideout. Bruce Wayne's penthouse with the weapons room and all the stuff just wasn't doing it for me in this one.

The Lao subplot. In fact the entire Hong Kong episode in the film could have (and should have) been jettisoned in favor of a crisper narrative. I knew this accountant guy wouldn't end up mattering in the end since it would come down to Batman/Joker, so a lot of time was spent on a nothing character.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but Christian Bale as Batman. I usually like the guy, and his Bruce Wayne is probably the best take I've seen on that character, but the dude just isn't that good as Batman. I think it's his "I'm trying WAY too hard to be gruff" voice. It wasn't that bothersome in the previous movie and what little of it there was could be chalked up to Batman's own inexperience and trying too hard to sound tough, but in this one it became distracting.

In the end I think The Dark Knight is easier to admire than it is to really love. In comparison to this year's other superhero films it's probably a better actual movie than say Iron Man or Hellboy 2, but I can't really say it's as much fun. I think there's some ultra definitive Batman movie that could be put together from everything in all the movies. Maybe take Nolan's actual script and actors and Burton's flair for visual design and art direction, then you'd really have something.

I enjoyed Bale as Batman. The whole role. I think he's great at it. The growl is hard to do, and I can't think of anyone who could do Bruce Wayne as well as he could plus the growl.

Although the whole time, when everyone was guessing his identity, I was like "JUST LOOK AT HIS PERFECT TEETH."

Woo, 1000th post in this thread.

Does anyone have a digital copy of The Long Halloween they can send me?

Jim Carrey might not be a bad idea for The Riddler now that I think about it. He's certainly a much better actor now than he was in '95. I don't know if he could be sinister enough though.

Robin Williams is probably a bit too old for the part but he can dial it down when he has to and he can play sinister. And he's already worked with Nolan.

I saw the movie today and LOVED IT. Ledger's Joker in this is seriously the best villain I've seen in a movie. What a sick and twisted fuck The Joker was in this, and I thought his humor was the best sick humor I've seen in a movie (especially the pencil trick!).

I thought Harvey Dent's character was great in this movie as well. They captured his story arc very well, with him going from D.A. to transforming into Two-Face. Loved the Two-Face makeup too, very disgusting.

I really have no idea how a third movie could even take place though, considering the ending. By the way can someone explain to me what the Riddler is like in the current comics? He's the villain I would have in the next movie. Just imagine the viral marketing that movie could have!

In the comics, Riddler has gone legit and is now working as a Private Eye. He's also a bit of a media hound, and like to let others do his work and take the credit.

Just saw the movie, and loved it. Took a few hours to process it and get my thoughts together, but upon reflection I still loved LEdger's Joker (my favorite scene of his, hands down, is the entire hospital bit). Bale was great again as Batman, and Oldman was perfect as Gordon. But my favorite part of the movie was Eckhart's Harvey Dent. He was just great- I just wish he'd had more face time as Two Face.

Yes, I made the joke. Sorry.

Won't say it's the best movie ever, or even the best superhero movie (Iron Man still holds that spot in my heart), but it was probably one of the best movies I've seen in a long, long time.

Truth be told would we really care about a huge Two Face plot late in the film?

Once The Joker is apprehended the movie needs to end fairly soon after that. We don't really care about Two Face THAT much for this particular film. In fact I would have brought back Two Face for the 3rd film. Is Dent 100% dead and all? It seemed to suggest he was.

The amazing aspect of the ending now that I think about it is that The Joker basically wins. Other than being captured of course. Batman is now a wanted outlaw, Lucius Fox has quit, Dent went insane and was killed, Rachel Dawes is dead, Gotham is in chaos.

In the end the film will be remembered for Ledger basically showing these nothing villains like the Sandman "You want a villain? Here's how to be a friggin villain!"

In the comics, Riddler has gone legit and is now working as a Private Eye. He's also a bit of a media hound, and like to let others do his work and take the credit.

Hmmm, The Riddler's character sounds really strange in comics today. Still think they should base his characterization on the Animated Series though.

I doubt this movie is the last we see of the Joker, since we all know that he is supposed to be in the next movie. The actor I would cast as The Joker now is Johnny Depp, since he is the only person I can imagine doing the role now, after Ledger's death. I wonder if we will see Hannibal Lector type scenes with him in Arkham in the next movie?

Once The Joker is apprehended the movie needs to end fairly soon after that. We don't really care about Two Face THAT much for this particular film. In fact I would have brought back Two Face for the 3rd film. Is Dent 100% dead and all? It seemed to suggest he was.

The amazing aspect of the ending now that I think about it is that The Joker basically wins. Other than being captured of course. Batman is now a wanted outlaw, Lucius Fox has quit, Dent went insane and was killed, Rachel Dawes is dead, Gotham is in chaos.

In the end the film will be remembered for Ledger basically showing these nothing villains like the Sandman "You want a villain? Here's how to be a friggin villain!"

It never really was said if Fox had actually quit or not. Fox said as long as the machine was around, he wouldn't be employed at Wayne Enterprises. The machine is gone but so I'm assuming Fox still works there.

I enjoyed Bale as Batman. The whole role. I think he's great at it. The growl is hard to do, and I can't think of anyone who could do Bruce Wayne as well as he could plus the growl.

Although the whole time, when everyone was guessing his identity, I was like "JUST LOOK AT HIS PERFECT TEETH."

Woo, 1000th post in this thread.

Does anyone have a digital copy of The Long Halloween they can send me?

Kimbo, I've got Long Halloween- and most every other comic you could wnat- in digital format. Send me your email address, and I'll shoot them over to you.

Or just e-mail me at [email protected].

IT's confirmed in the novelization that he was.

Excellent movie. Joker was amazing but Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent deserves some outstanding praise too. What I also love is that now no one knows what's coming for the third movie.

Why does it have to be two villains? People are way too stuck on that formula from the last franchise, and look how those always turned out. The thing I loved so much about this film was that

Two-Face wasn't even a full fledged villain at all. He was merely Harvey Dent, half-burnt up, going absolutely insane due to the loss of Rachel for the last 25 minutes of the movie. I'm also under the impression that Dent isn't ACTUALLY dead. More like he's now in Arkham and they've gone ahead with a huge cover-up so that the citizens wouldn't lose that last ray of hope over their White Knight going bad.

So if there is a third film, I'd like to see that explored a little more.. and if not, then Fries, because his story.. (well, the animated series' version of the story) ..behind Victor Fries and why he loses it and becomes Mr. Zero/Freeze is truly tragic and I think could make for an awesome arc if done in this darker tone that Nolan has set for the franchise.

I'd be happy if we never see the Riddler or Catwoman or Penguin as villains in this version of the franchise. I'm not sure what it is, but I almost think that they're too obvious as choices. I think they had to do the Joker because he's just as iconic to the Batman franchise as Batman himself is to comics in general...

Edit: Im reading a couple fanboy of the comic reviews..Im not a big fan of the comic itself so I had no idea that there was a villian named

the Calculator

and that

Lau saying he's good at calculations and him being a manipulator like Calculator in the comics has people thinking hes set up for the next villian since he probably got away at the end

uh..huh

Nope.

Lau didn't get away, from what I saw. He was tied up, on top of the mountain of money as Joker set it aflame.

For those who would like, I've got The Long HAlloween, Year One and The Killing Joke on Mediafire, and I have pretty much all of the major comic storylines for the past twenty years on my computer.

I really liked the whole "rabid dog" motif they had for the Joker throughout the movie. Batman seemed kinda confused when attacked by the dogs in the movie(like he was with the Joker not wanting the money) and the end with Joker and the dogs togeher seemed to symbolize something.

In joker's speech at the hospital he talks about being like a dog chasing a car and "not knowing what to do with one if he caught it".

I just thought it was a cool subtle touch.

I'd be happy if we never see the Riddler or Catwoman or Penguin as villains in this version of the franchise. I'm not sure what it is, but I almost think that they're too obvious as choices. I think they had to do the Joker because he's just as iconic to the Batman franchise as Batman himself is to comics in general...

These other villains are very well known though, so in a way the studio would probably make Nolan include them. There also Batman's only other realistic villains that would draw money too. People keep thinking that Bane, Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze, etc. will show up in this series, even though it makes no sense for them to, since they're such far fetched characters. Unlike Spider-Man 3 though, if the studio made Nolan include famous villains, I don't think Nolan would complain about it, like Sam Raimi did. Instead Nolan would probably get more familiar with these characters and make a killer movie.