TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

The Dark Knight

"My whole thing is that that I saw 'The Dark Knight'. I feel like I'm dumb because I feel like I don't get many things that are so smart. It's like a Ferrari engine of storytelling and script writing and I'm like, 'That's not my idea of what I want to see in a movie.' I loved 'The Prestige' but didn't understand 'The Dark Knight'. Didn't get it, still can't tell you what happened in the movie, what happened to the character and in the end they need him to be a bad guy. I'm like, 'I get it. This is so high brow and so f--king smart, I clearly need a college education to understand this movie.' You know what? F-ck DC comics. That's all I have to say and that's where I'm really coming from
-Robert Downey Jr.

I don't understand how someone couldn't "get" this movie, and why Batman had to "be a bad guy" in the end. I mean, especially when it's stated why on-screen by at least three of the main characters... geez.

These comments sound more like bitterness than anything else, IMO. Maybe he's pissed that someone elses superhero movie beat out his.. which we all knew would happen anyway. There was no way that Batman wasn't going to bludgeon Iron Man at the box office. Even though Iron Man has been my favourite of the Marvel crop for my entire life, there's no way he'll ever be as iconic as Batman.

Batman is fucking god, there's no way around it.

Iron Man? Iron Man is shit, Iron Man is nothing... and I love Iron Man, but compared to Batman, that's just true. You just gotta deal with that.

...do we really need the spoiler tags anymore? I mean, if you're in this thread and haven't seen it by now...

whaaaaaaat? This is coming from YOU???

Well, it's different from a "What Movies Have You Seen Today" type thread. In that one, in theory any given movie from Birth of a Nation to Tropic Thunder might be discussed, so it's not fair to just randomly spring spoilers on people who possibly haven't seen that movie. But in a thread like this, a sixty-page monster devoted to just one movie which we've almost certainly all seen by now, not the same thing. If you click on a thread which is specifically about one particular movie and it came out several weeks ago, you should expect that people are, y'know, talking about shit that happened in the movie. Same reason I haven't ventured into the Metal Gear Solid 4 thread: I haven't played the game yet, and don't want any surprises ruined, so I stay away from the one place where spoilers are guaranteed.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_25791.aspx

Dark Knight Star Won't Face Charges In Alleged Family Assault

Thursday August 14, 2008

By Raphael G. Satter The Associated Press

aug1408-balegetty.jpg

Batman star Christian Bale will not face charges relating to an alleged assault on his mother and sister last month, prosecutors said Thursday, suggesting their decision was based in part on the family members' wishes.

Britain's Crown Prosecution Service said there was insufficient evidence to afford a "realistic prospect of conviction," and ordered police not to take any further action in the case.

The service said in a statement that while it "treats all incidents which take place in a domestic context seriously, it is important that the views of complainants are also taken into account when making decisions in such cases."

Bale has repeatedly refused to comment on the alleged incident beyond a statement denying the allegation. His family has also declined to comment, saying the issue was a personal matter.

British media had reported that Bale's mother and sister told police he assaulted them at the Dorchester Hotel on July 20, a day before attending the European premiere of his film "The Dark Knight." Bale has denied the accusation.

The Sun tabloid reported that police waited a day to arrest Bale to allow the actor time to attend the film's premiere in London's Leicester Square. He was questioned for several hours at a police station before being released on bail.

The Wales-born actor first made a splash as the child star of Steven Spielberg's "Empire of the Sun" in 1987. He has played dark and sometimes sinister roles in "American Psycho," "The Machinist" and "Batman Begins."

In "The Dark Knight," Bale reprises the role of wealthy playboy Bruce Wayne and his crime-fighting alter-ego Batman, a brooding vigilante superhero still scarred by the murder of his parents.

Bale, 34, lives in the Los Angeles area with his wife, Sibi Blazic, and their young daughter.

Photo credit: Akihiro I/Getty Images

For what its worth, Downey's comments are supposedly given in a much lighter tone than that article suggests (according to a different article).

But Dark Knight was better than Iron Man (which was also good) so, in the words of 14 year old girls on AIM... whatevs.

I was thinking about the movie, and one of the best moments was Joker hanging out the cop car. What made it so awesome was, the lead-up to this sequence was pretty rapid fire, all the way from the Loeb funeral to that point, it was relentless...just before then, you had this high stakes race against time... two big explosions, one person dead the other's face blown off, Gordon's line, its like EVERYTHING has gone to hell... then the scene comes, and the music just STOPS, there's only like this atmospheric heartbeat thing, and the camera stays with him, doesn't rapid ADHD cut away. I think that's the moment where the movie's "gravitas" really hits the audience. Everybody hushed during that sequence in the theater, you could hear a pin drop, as in, like, the audience collectively realized, at that moment, that this movie was fucking amazing.

I've seen it 3 times and would gladly see it a 4th, it was AWESOME!

I saw both Dark Knight and Iron Man twice at the theater and I'll say this: The Dark Knight is probably a better movie, but Iron Man is certainly more enjoyable and is likely going to end up something I could just put on and watch when it comes out on DVD.

The only time the Joker ever shows any vulnerability whatsoever is when he's explaining how he got his scars, and since he tells multiple contradictory versions of that story, I tend to think he's just being manipulative.

Oh by the way, he tells two versions, not that many. I would have preferred more, but I guess they didn't want to make a gag of it.

If I need to have a past, I would prefer it to be in multiple choice.

QUOTE (The Joker @ The Killing Joke)

If I need to have a past, I would prefer it to be in multiple choice.

I too, thought of this same line when I heard the Joker telling people different versions of his past. Downey's comments are obviously bitter towards TDK, since it has completely overshadowed Iron Man at this point. Both are great films though, and I will watch these a lot when they come out on DVD.

For what its worth, Downey's comments are supposedly given in a much lighter tone than that article suggests (according to a different article).

But Dark Knight was better than Iron Man (which was also good) so, in the words of 14 year old girls on AIM... whatevs.

I was thinking about the movie, and one of the best moments was Joker hanging out the cop car. What made it so awesome was, the lead-up to this sequence was pretty rapid fire, all the way from the Loeb funeral to that point, it was relentless...just before then, you had this high stakes race against time... two big explosions, one person dead the other's face blown off, Gordon's line, its like EVERYTHING has gone to hell... then the scene comes, and the music just STOPS, there's only like this atmospheric heartbeat thing, and the camera stays with him, doesn't rapid ADHD cut away. I think that's the moment where the movie's "gravitas" really hits the audience. Everybody hushed during that sequence in the theater, you could hear a pin drop, as in, like, the audience collectively realized, at that moment, that this movie was fucking amazing.

I've seen it 3 times and would gladly see it a 4th, it was AWESOME!

Indeed. I think my favorite part and visual in the movie comes when they are moving Dent and see the flaming road block. The subtle lead-in by the music (I believe on the soundtrack it is the track "I am the Batman") just starts the dread, and when they finally pass the flames and find out that it's a fire engine, it just gives me goosebumps. Lack of visual imagery my ass; that shot alone says so much about the hell that Gotham is going into and I just love it. A small moment, but it continues to stick with me.

I wouldn't be suprised it Downey's comics were more of a joking 'Marvel vs DC' type deal. He had to stick up for his book, you know? Fuck DC.

Slightly off topic- who would win in a fight- Iron Man or Batman?

Iron Man and Batman would be the two easiest things to crossover in any comic book realm. I'm not even a big comic geek but I've had visions of Bruce Wayne teaming up with Stark for business enterprises, and it leads to some awesome bat suit that shoots purple lasers.

While I usually don't care for fan made posters, this mock up for The Dark Knight Returns keeps the tone set by The Dark Knight, particularly the final poster with the playing cards.

I'd hang it on my wall.

2eezadv.jpg

Yeah, the hands and different layers of paper look really cut and pasted together, and the question mark scribble doesn't look quite right. Other than that, solid work.

I like and dislike the poster. I love the presentation (And I did notice the Vicky Vale reference :D ), but it feels way too "Jokerish" for me. If they do the Riddler, I'd hope he'd be less schizophrenic and more measured. But the concept of the Riddler trying to find out who Batman is isn't a bad idea at all. Perhaps the reverse of the comics; A "too-clever-for-his-own-good" private detective takes up the case and uses crimes so he can analyze him and piece together who he might be.

Does anyone really know what Nolan's plans are for the 3rd movie? He said himself that he thought of the series as a trilogy, but we don't know who the next villain will be. Most signs point to the Riddler, but David Goyer keeps saying that he wants to write a script with villains that haven't made the big screen yet. If they go that direction, I vote for the Ventriloquist, since he's about the only villain you can follow the Joker up with, since he is very twisted and psychological.

A full fledged characterization of Zsasz would pretty much have to be in an R-rated Batman movie, and we know thats not happening. Same thing for Black Mask. Thats why I think the Ventriloquist would be a good idea for a villain in a future movie, since he's disturbing and twisted, but doesn't require an R rating.

I was listening to a podcast from Creating Screenwriting Magazine when they interviewed Jonathan Nolan. He stated that Chris hadn't even had an idea for the Dark Knight after Batman Begins, and he had to be talked into doing it. He also stated that there was no definite plan for a third movie.