TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

The Dark Knight

I'm the opposite. I quite like those types of films. Although I do agree plot twists have gotten really forced lately. M.Night Shyamalan can take the blame for that.

When you've got some monster or axe murderer going around killing random people, there's no depth there. You don't care about the people he's murdering or why he's doing it. I think for any horror film to work you have to be sympathetic to the characters, which is what asian horror does best: it doesn't treat characters like they're expendable. When they die, it makes a difference.

You can have a horror movie with a monster or killer going around killing people and have it be scary. The first Halloween and the first Nightmare on Elm Street have killers that are basically just an unstoppable force, yet they're scary films. Old Universal horror movies are great too, as they have tragic monsters in some cases like the wolf man, and the Frankenstein monster.

I didn't think Halloween was scary at all, and Nightmare was scary based on the fact that it's someone who kills you while you're asleep. I remember thinking it would be the scariest nightmare to have one about Freddy and wake up before he kills you, because there'd be the worry in the back of your mind that it wasn't just I dream. I believe I ended up having one though, and it wasn't as scary as I had thought.

I saw the film on Imax last week. I enjoyed it, but liked Batman Begins more. An issue I had was that the sound was too damn loud. Granted, that is really a problem with the industry itself, but it was so loud that it detracted from the experience. Dialogue during action scenes was particularly hard to make out due to the distortion. Sod the loudness wars.

Halloween is probably the scariest movie I've seen. Love the creepy music and atmoshpere it has. Also love that Michael Myers in that is pretty much an enigma, as in there was nothing logical behind his murders at all, and there was no reason why he became a psychopath. Thats just pure evil folks.

Michael Myers has a very clear motivation. All that junk with his sister, plus being institutionalized all those years, and going back to his home when he escaped, it's a very straightforward thing. I don't know where you get the idea he wasn't logical or motivated, unless you've been listening to Malcolm McDowell in the Rob Zombie version.

Well, what I meant was, if you pretend those sequels don't exist, thats the way Myers was in the first movie. The sequels pretty much take away everything scary about Myers in the first movie by trying to explain his motivations and such. Things are much more frightening when there is no motive.

I saw the film on Imax last week. I enjoyed it, but liked Batman Begins more. An issue I had was that the sound was too damn loud. Granted, that is really a problem with the industry itself, but it was so loud that it detracted from the experience. Dialogue during action scenes was particularly hard to make out due to the distortion. Sod the loudness wars.

I don't think I've ever heard this reasoning for liking one movie in a series over the other ever in my life.

of all the excuses, they went with THAT one?

Arnold

Batgirl

Poison Ivy

Weird sets designs

the neon gangs

nipples on suits

Bane

Clooney hamming it up

too loud?

Well Lushus, every critic dislikes that movie for all the reasons you mentioned except for maybe Clooney hamming it up. If anything, Clooney was just cashing a paycheck and didn't even try pretending that Bruce Wayne and Batman are supposed to have different personalities. But, yeah, some critics do say that the movie being too loud also hurts it.

In one of the Halloween movies, didn't Mike Meyers like break someone on a tree? Maybe they were in a tent. I want a youtube clip of that.

^ That was Jason. I couldn't find the original scene from Part 7: The New Blood, but here's the Jason X version:

Well Lushus, every critic dislikes that movie for all the reasons you mentioned except for maybe Clooney hamming it up. If anything, Clooney was just cashing a paycheck and didn't even try pretending that Bruce Wayne and Batman are supposed to have different personalities. But, yeah, some critics do say that the movie being too loud also hurts it.

I still can't believe that the douchebag who played Booker on Roseanne is some big power player in Hollywood now. Yes, I hate George Clooney. Cary Grant, he ain't. He wishes he was. But he never will be. :P

I still can't believe that the douchebag who played Booker on Roseanne is some big power player in Hollywood now. Yes, I hate George Clooney. Cary Grant, he ain't. He wishes he was. But he never will be. :P

George Clooney's awesome, one of the best out there today. The guy could've spent the rest of his career trying to make it a go of it in popcorn flicks like the Peacemaker and Batman, but he didn't, and I admire the fact that he's willing to go out there and make low budget projects that he believes in.

Hey---look the contrarian for the sake of being contrarian backlash has already started!

What well reasoned arguments put forth in this Facebook group.

Wow, I read that review, and that person has to be the biggest retard on Earth.

I wonder when people will realize, that if you want others to respect your opinion (even on the internet), then run-on sentences with bad grammar, spelling, punctuation and expletives aren't going to do the trick...

If you want contrarian, read Salon.com's review. I won't even link it, but hers was the worst, easily. The bitch didn't even get Wall-E. I have no clue how she still has a job.

I might not be reading that correctly, but did he not call Bale a fag for his Batman voice, and then mock someone else for calling HIM a fag?

Michael Myers has a very clear motivation. All that junk with his sister, plus being institutionalized all those years, and going back to his home when he escaped, it's a very straightforward thing. I don't know where you get the idea he wasn't logical or motivated, unless you've been listening to Malcolm McDowell in the Rob Zombie version.

Keep in mind that pretty much all of the stuff with Laurie being his sister and SAMHAIN and junk was in part 2, which John Carpenter himself described as a movie he wrote while he drank a six pack and tried to fight through the writers block. If you take part one and examine it as a film by itself, Myers has no motivation or logic for most of his killings. If anything, the only "logical" move he made was go back to his original home, which is how Dr. Loomis followed him.

Halloween on Blu-ray looks fucking GREAT btw. I double dipped on it and it was worth it.

Dames

I have a 2-disc Divimax DVD of Halloween, and even though its not blue-ray, I think it looks excellent on a HD TV. By the way, I was wondering how much better a blue-ray disc looks better than a standard DVD. Can anyone tell me?

If you want contrarian, read Salon.com's review. I won't even link it, but hers was the worst, easily. The bitch didn't even get Wall-E. I have no clue how she still has a job.

Nothing new there. A lot of Salon's reviews are dissents from the majority consensus, for no apparent reason other than sheer hipster snobbery.

Yeah, I see where you guys are coming from on Halloween. Still, even in the first one, you can sort of glean that he killed his sister as a kid because of some sexual trauma, and being locked up all the time would make anybody crazy.

I also use Patrick Bateman as the example of pure evil. Even say, Leatherface was raised that way and never had a chance.

For some reason, the local rock radio station in Raleigh just blasts this movie. One guy said it sucked because Christian Bale gave a terrible performance and then went back and forth impersonating Bale as Wayne and then Batman, which got annoying very quickly.

There is a female D.J. on there who slags the movie too, but it was great because a listener called into the station and proceeded to call her artistic taste out because she played the new Kid Rock song immediately after trashing the Dark Knight, which I thought was great.