TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA Playoffs 2007: Conference Semifinals

Someone doesn't remember Heat v. Knicks. The NBA will suspend whoever they want, when they want, and as randomly as they please. Especially if they don't like you.

Ron Artest is getting a game

A question for everyone, from someone who doesn't have cable anymore so I can only watch highlights: are the referees (and the NBA) showing favouritism toward San Antonio, and if so, why? Because that's what everyone is making this out to be.

No. Everyone here just hates the Spurs.

A question for everyone, from someone who doesn't have cable anymore so I can only watch highlights: are the referees (and the NBA) showing favouritism toward San Antonio, and if so, why? Because that's what everyone is making this out to be.

No.

Correction to what Alf said. Everyone here just hates greatness.

Okay, I just went to the bathroom, then came back and Kenny Smith is talking about policemen and murdering someone who's handcuffed. How did we get here.

I don't care who advances. It hurts me all the same. If one of these teams win the title, part of me will die. GO CLEVELAND

Charles said some dumb shit. Shaq called him dumb.

2Gold has it exactly right. The message this will send is terrible - flagrant fouls and attempting to injure other players is fine, but reacting is not fine.

Give me a fucking break. Purposely kneeing someone in the balls doesn't get you a suspension but stepping on the court does?

They are. Bowen and Ginobli are both despised by a lot of the NBA and are considered two of the dirtiest players in the game. Most players feel that Bowen goes out of his way to try to injure people.

I can't answer why, but look at what happened to Kobe this season. Two suspensions for essentially nothing. If he did what Bowen does on a nightly basis he'd miss 50 games a season.

They are. Bowen and Ginobli are both despised by a lot of the NBA and are considered two of the dirtiest players in the game. Most players feel that Bowen goes out of his way to try to injure people.

I can't answer why, but look at what happened to Kobe this season. Two suspensions for essentially nothing. If he did what Bowen does on a nightly basis he'd miss 50 games a season.

Kobe got what he deserved, he has no reason to swing his arms back like that

watching that last play with vince carter, this guy never fails to live up to my preconception of him as "the most talented dumb player in the league". Great talent, he just has BAD decision making abilities, I've always thought he has no idea what's a good shot and what's a bad shot, and that decision making seems reflected in his inside or outside play.

Besides Vince being dumb, so are the Nets coaching staff

It happened last year against the Heat as well. They play even for 3 1/2 quarters then for whatever reason they always decide to have Vince be the playmaker instead of Kidd and he turns it over or takes bad shots and the Nets lose the game.

All four loses to the Heat last year played out like that.

2Gold has it exactly right. The message this will send is terrible - flagrant fouls and attempting to injure other players is fine, but reacting is not fine.

Give me a fucking break. Purposely kneeing someone in the balls doesn't get you a suspension but stepping on the court does?

That's perfectly sensible logic, the only problem is that it can't really be proven that someone is trying to hurt people. That's the whole frustrating thing about Bowen. It's too many instances to be a coincidence, but obviously he's not going to admit to it.

And someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never heard another player complain about Ginobili before this series. I've heard some talk about his flopping, but nothing in regards to him being dirty.

For me I wouldn't necessarily say favortism, but the Spurs do seem to get the benefit of the whistle more often than not. Teams with defensive reps are annoying to me sometimes not only because of their chippy style, but also the way they seem to get most of the calls. That's part of the reason why Cleveland and San Antonio are two of my least favorite teams. People here probably have the same thoughts about Detroit but they're my favorite team. Plus SA doesn't have the most likable players (and coaches) in the world.

Horry should get one game for sure. There are ways to foul someone without going hockey on him. They were going to lose that game, and Horry did something stupid. Do not get me wrong. I like the Spurs and what they have accomplished, but this "physical" play is bullshit. I see what they are trying to do, which is to get into the Suns' heads and make them play in a way that the Spurs can defend better. Aside from Ginobili and Parjker, no one has much hope of keeping the Suns from running them out of the gym.

But just because I understand it does not mean I approve of it. This speak to some desperation on the Spurs part to resort to the actions of Bowen and Horry in order the get the Suns "off their game". As much as I like the Suprs and their past accomplishments, I hope it blows up in their faces.

The Spurs are hated because they win a lot. If they played exactly as they do now, but they only won 25-30 games a year, no one would give a shit.

It doesn't bother me that they win a lot. I just am tired of Ginobili playing soccer on the court, and Bruce Bowen's cheap shots, and now Horry is in on the act... what's next, Duncan with a clothesline??

No way; when you're seven feet tall, you have to have a chokeslam in your moveset... that's the rule, right?

You know you watch too much wrestling (and may have some mental issues) when you see somebody get dunked on and hope that they powerbomb the dude on the way down...

:unsure:

what's funny is that I hate the Spurs because of how they play: slow, methodical, dirty...yet my favorite team, the Knicks, were that exact same way in the 90s...weird...

I have no problem with the Spurs. I don't see how you can be a basketball fan and not appreciate Tim Ducncan and his dominance. Bruce Bowen annoys me to no end. Manu, if not for the EXTRA flopping, I would be fine with him. I mean, Raja flops, but at least he lets there be SOME contact. Manu will flop and hold his jaw if you run close enough to him.

I would say this series has been officated evenly horrible. Game one was pretty horrible for both, as was game two. Game three was really really bad in the favor of the Spurs and last night was really really bad in favor of the Suns.

I think they are trying to make a 7 game series(they being the officals and the NBA). And personally, if I were Utah, I would watch out. The crap could come down hard on them pretty soon.

That leaveing the bench rule is so bullshit. They should actually suspend Amare because he was leaving to be Mr. Tough guy, but Diaw left the bench and broke up TWO confrontations. the refs were trying to break them up, but being the little old men that they are they can't stop those huge men from going at each other if they want to. If Amare DOES get suspended, that puts the Suns in a really really tough spot. Plus, like it has been said, it will point out how ridiculous something is when Diaw will probably get suspended for breaking up a fight, but Bowen doesn't get suspended or fined for a knee to the balls and a kick to the achilles.

i think by the end of this series nash will have taken four years off his life. his sheer force of will is just amazing to watch.

my earlier thought about stopping phoenix at the 3 has been totally negated in both wins, and i'm starting to think they might actually have what it takes to beat the spurs. if i'm san antonio and amare does make it to game 5, i would start to be scared, because phoenix has shown that they can beat san antonio in ways they're not supposed to get beaten. i think the stats showed that game 2 was their second-worst blowout of their entire season, and that they've only lost like 2 games when leading into the fourth quarter by that much.

I used to never have a problem with the Spurs, since I had the utmost respect for David Robinson. But now they just seem to be a bunch of thugs and the worst aspect is that it seems to be working. Their reputation is ironically enough mirroring the Patriots in the NFL, though I haven't necessarily seen the Pats do as much cheap crap as the Spurs have done in this series (besides, that's football and is meant to be violent).

If Stoudamire and Diaw get suspended then the Suns will have gotten totally screwed in this series, since they'll obviously lose game 5 without them, and then likely be toast in 6. What's maddening is that the Suns haven't done anything dirty in the series, yet their guys might get suspended for barely reacting at all while the Spurs will end up with maybe a 1 game suspension for Horry, which is a slap on the wrist.

Lushus, the key difference between those Knicks teams and the Spurs now is that the Knicks were never really rewarded for their gooning in the end. What made them a guilty pleasure of sorts is that in the end you knew they were going to get beat anyway, so they made for a fun antagonist.

You know, even if I didn't like the Spurs, I'd still root for them in this series because... well, fuck the Suns, that's why. I hate their run and shoot style of offense, and never want to see a team that plays like that win anything.

Why do you hate a team that plays exciting basketball, in a manner that has been so effective, that its literally being copied all across the league. The trend in the NBA is to have 5-7 guys that can all run, shoot, pass and many times play multiple positions. If it weren't for the Pistons still being alive, I would be rooting for the Suns to win it all just because they play a style that is wonderful to watch for anyone who really knows basketball

I don't hate the Spurs at all, I'm just tired of the fact the officials seem to be doing a miserable job and then the NBA league office doesn't feel like correcting the problem when they look at the tape later. They just change the call after the game and do nothing additionally, which is utter crap of the highest quality. Why should I hate the Spurs? They are a good team and if you can get away with it, get away with it. Until the NBA starts cracking down on them in this series, I say go for all you can get.

Just tired of the "Our hands are tied" reaction by the NBA league office. If they are going to take that opinion, why even bother checking the tapes later?

Lushus, the key difference between those Knicks teams and the Spurs now is that the Knicks were never really rewarded for their gooning in the end. What made them a guilty pleasure of sorts is that in the end you knew they were going to get beat anyway, so they made for a fun antagonist.

oh yeah, the 90s Knicks were clearly the top heels of the NBA.

Why do you hate a team that plays exciting basketball...

Because I don't think it's exciting, that's why.

The trend in the NBA is to have 5-7 guys that can all run, shoot, pass and many times play multiple positions.

The Suns don't have 5-7 guys that can run, pass and shoot; they have 7 guys that can run and shoot, and one guy that can pass. I take nothing away from Steve Nash, as he is very good at what he does, but they can't score in the halfcourt if Nash isn't on the floor, and I don't like watching teams that can't score in the halfcourt.

And if the rest of the NBA is copying the Suns, well... the Suns are just copying the Don Nelson-coached Mavericks; run to the three-point line, and wait for Nash to pass you the ball. Gag me.

And that's all anybody on that team, with the exception of Stoudemire, ever does, run out to the three-point line and wait for Nash to pass them the ball; that's not entertaining to me. I personally think that the three-point shot is the bane of basketball. When I see a team take forty three-point shots in a game (coughwarriorscough), it makes me sick.

If it weren't for the Pistons still being alive, I would be rooting for the Suns to win it all just because they play a style that is wonderful to watch for anyone who really knows basketball.

I take great offense at this. I have been watching basketball for twenty-five years, and I consider myself an adequately knowledgeable basketball fan, so I don't appreciate the implication that the fact that I think that the style that the Suns play has anything to do with a lack of basketball acumen on my part.

Horry's been a chippy player since long before his tenure with the Spurs. And again, I'd like to be directed to any dirty play from a Spur other than Bruce Bowen.