TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vanhalen

OMG Terminator 4 is definetly going ahead

As others have said, the ending of Terminator 3 knocked me on my ass. For everything the Connors tried to do for the previous 20 years, Judgement Day was going to happen and there was nothing anyone could do to stop it. I just mark out for nuclear attacks, and the end of T3 did not disappoint in that area. I'm interested in where they will go with Terminator 4.

Bad news for T4:

Supposedly, going with the trend of all R rated movies being edited down to PG-13 teenfests, T4 is going for a PG-13 rating in an attempt to sell more action figures towards children. (my friend sent me the link to this story last week, I believe it may have been from aintitcoolnews).

Here's my main problem with this: Look at T2, that movie had no problems whatsoever making money off of merchandise. Kids still bought the video games and they still bought the toys. It'll make major box office regardless (obviously) but I don't understand editing it down for that reason alone.

T-2 basically got a R for a couple of shots. Watch the movie and you would be hard pressed to find the R rating. A few fucks and a quick boob shot in metal at the end and you have a R Rating. the rest of it could have pulled a PG-13. Its not a series that needs gore or language to make it a good movie(like, say that bastardized version of Live Free Die Hard that went to the theaters over the awesome real version).

And you...I wills say it now....

There was nothing fucking wrong with Charlies Angels (okay the second one sucked). The first one was good for what it was. I don't get the bitching.

PG-13 is just fine...I don't see John Connor being a foul mouthed little punk anymore.

It's Terminator- it should be R. I don't like the thought of them holding back on anything.

I loved Live Free or Die Hard, but the PG-13 rating was distracting

Yeah, but...this just means they can't show all of the violence that could with an R rating. T3 suffered mostly because of an overly rushed pace (it should have never been made without Cameron, who knows how to pace an action film) and an inferior villain (after T-1000, why should we fear any other Terminator, especially when she doesn't seem as able to blend like T-1000 could).

PG-13 is just fine...I don't see John Connor being a foul mouthed little punk anymore.

It's Terminator- it should be R. I don't like the thought of them holding back on anything.

I loved Live Free or Die Hard, but the PG-13 rating was distracting

I didn't even notice it was PG-13. It didn't seem really toned down compared to the other films, except no racial humor from the thrid, but it's not like the story in this one needed any.

How did you NOT notice it was PG-13?

I watched about 20 minutes of the theater version and decided to just wait till the uncut dvd came out to buy it and that one just felt...right.

I look at Terminator 3 as a good What If? story. I mean seriously, they only came up with that "Judgment Day got delayed" crap just so a Terminator sequel was possible.

At first, I didn't give a crap about T4, but Christian Bale as John Connor is fucking awesome so I'll definitely check it out.

admittedly, I haven't watched the theatrical version of Live Free yet...I don't think I ever will either.

I haven't either. Just can't stand to watch 2 hours of John McClane kicking ass without any casual F-bombs. Cussing isn't a big part of movies for me, but not making a fowl mouthed sailor like McClane cuss just sounds a little off putting to me.

How did you NOT notice it was PG-13?

I watched about 20 minutes of the theater version and decided to just wait till the uncut dvd came out to buy it and that one just felt...right.

I don't care about swearing, I just love the ridiculous action movie elements of the Die Hard movies.

Apparently, this film is budgeted at $200 million, even more than rise of the machines. Throw in advertising costs, and its going to have to do incredibly well just to break even, which probably explains the PG13 rating.

Aren't advertising costs included in the budget?

I don't think so. I remember hearing Superman returns cost $260 million, and after they threw in advertising it was $310 million. I think they might decide how much to spend on adverstising depending on whether they think it'll be a hit or not once they've seen the film.

Personally I think its ridiculous the amount of money people spend on movies now. I remember when it was rare for a film to go over $100 million its budget, and now that seems to be the case for every other movie. I don't think films have gotten any better, so I don't see what the point is. You're telling me they need $200 million to make a good terminator film?

I have a feeling this Terminator movie might flop. With a budget that big, and the mainstream will complain about no Arnold, I just don't know how it will make money. I don't think it will be a bad movie, since I've always been kinda interested in seeing a whole movie of John Connor fighting the machines, and not just in prologues. I am worried about the choice of director though. McG? WTF? It seems like when a director only has one name, the movie ends up being terrible.

Yeah...because after Friday...no one will ever think of Christian Bale as a guy who can carry a huge budget summer blockbuster....

I think the teaser just peaked my interest. Alot.

I don't think the film will flop. It's a Terminator movie. Hell even the third one did well.

Yeah...because after Friday...no one will ever think of Christian Bale as a guy who can carry a huge budget summer blockbuster....

I think Bale's a good actor and can draw money, but I still think there is people who will ignore this movie because Arnold isn't in it. It really depends on what the movie's word of mouth is.

I don't think the film will flop. It's a Terminator movie. Hell even the third one did well.

The third one also had Arnold in it. ;)

As much as people probably don't want to admit it, Arnold is the Terminator now. No one really gives a damn about John Conner and Christian Bale as a draw can't be proven since Batman is Batman. A Terminator movie without Arnold really would be like seeing a Beverly Hills Cop movie without Eddie or Die Hard without Bruce Willis.

200 million for a film about the T-future could go either really good or really bad. Counting on Christian Bale to throw it on his back and carry it home might be reaching for Bale. Plus from the things I've been hearing about the plot, it all sounds like a really bad disaster of a film.

It'll barely break even in theaters, McG will probably receive most if not all of the blame and Arnold will be out of office and back for five if it even gets the greenlight.

Shouldn't Arnold, technically at SOME POINT show up in one or two of the three movies anyway? What about Robert Patrick and Kristanna Lokin? What is this new triology supposed to cover exactly? The war itself? Events leading up to the original trilogy?

These new Terminator movies are sort of a waste of time really, since we know from the other movies what happens in the future. We know John Connor is going to end up winning in the end, and then the series starts itself over, by having the cyborgs go back in time from the first 3 movies. So in the end, the series is going to end up being a big loop.

Shouldn't Arnold, technically at SOME POINT show up in one or two of the three movies anyway? What about Robert Patrick and Kristanna Lokin? What is this new triology supposed to cover exactly? The war itself? Events leading up to the original trilogy?

Since he actually is the one who KILLS John, I'm not sure how you can't. And Michael Biehn should tech show up too since they sent him back in time to protect Sarah.

However, isn't the timeline changed now that Loken killed all those top resistance people before hunting John? She dropped quite a few of the big dogs, I would think that would change the outcome. I really don't know, the more I think about it the more I realize it's just one big mess.