TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
milliondollarchamp

RVD released early?

I'm not sure if RVD being released early is true yet. Nothing has been annouced on WWE.com or ECW.com all day long. You would think WWE would want to be the first one to break that big of news..or at least confirm it. We'll see tomorrow I guess.

Perhaps they don't WANT to break the news?

A lot of people tune into ECW for RVD IMO. They'd rather have RVD phased out quietly than announce his departure outright.

I don't think Vince is really worried about anyone jumping to TNA at this point (unless it was an upper tier main eventer like Cena or Edge). Even if someone like that did somehow jump, TNA has shown they don't know what they're doing, as shown by how they've used Kurt Angle so far.

Basically WWE wants guys working only on their terms, which is why RVD was let go.

Once TNA signed Angle they no doubt had to realize the enigma of booking Angle. Angle has never had a character that ever totally gelled, and this is WWE. Excellent wrestler, but Angle was always either a goofy dork that drew no serious heel heat, or he was a smarmy and unsympathetic hero, and now he's doing this "I'm a real wrestler, dammit!" gimmick in TNA that's getting over like a lead balloon.

Regardless of how RVD has been used in ECW and WWE, at least his character and persona were over with viewers. If TNA can't figure out how to use RVD--a guy who can fit into the world title division, X division, or tag division--then they truly are incompetent.

He's been using it for years, even before his stint in WCW in '93. He mentions on a DVD that he was called Robbie V in WCW because he didn't want to give up the rights to his name, so I guess made sure he had them afterwords.

I recall reading an interview with him from early 2006 when he came back from injury and he said that he did in fact get to keep the name Rob Van Dam if he left WWE. I dont think he'd seriously entertain the notion of TNA if he would lose his ring name.

I don't think Vince is really worried about anyone jumping to TNA at this point (unless it was an upper tier main eventer like Cena or Edge). Even if someone like that did somehow jump, TNA has shown they don't know what they're doing, as shown by how they've used Kurt Angle so far.

Basically WWE wants guys working only on their terms, which is why RVD was let go.

Other than the WWE caved to every single one of RVD's demands except the extended time off one............I will seriously laugh at anyone who blames the WWE for this......when a guy asks for 10 things and they agree to 9 and he still refuses to sign, guess who that's on.

Yeah, but the issue is RVD was supposedly released early, not that his contract ran out. That was WWE's decision.

It doesn't really matter.........it just invokes a 90 day no compete clause that wouldn't have been invoked if he had worked till the end of his deal.

RVD likely wanted to take the summer off anyway, no harm no foul.

RVD to ROH. Nuff said.

Would be interesting to see what Danielson could get out of him too.

Danielson, if healthy, would get something good to great out of Van Dam, providing he can reign in Van Dam's crazier stuff until the final stretch.

There is one huge problem I have with the RVD to ROH idea. Namely that I'd never get to see him unless ROH suddenly got a TV deal. I guess there's always buying a bunch of DVDs, but there's only a certain amount of $$ I'm willing to spend on wrestling.

RVD to ROH. Nuff said.

Would be interesting to see what Danielson could get out of him too.

Danielson, if healthy, would get something good to great out of Van Dam, providing he can reign in Van Dam's crazier stuff until the final stretch.

As long as he works the arms and not the legs.

Anyway, a little bit of a reality check. RVD in a promotion like TNA or ROH would have been huge 8 years ago. If he goes to either now, his whole drawing power of being this amazing daredevil who can pull off moves nobody else can is going to blown out of the water by the Jack Evanses and the Matt Sydals and the Sonjay Dutts of the world. And all he'll have left to fall back on is the whole 'I was great in ECW in 1999, huh?' shtick. He should go back to Japan instead, his current style would work a lot better there, plus he'd stand himself in much better stead if he ever wants to come back to WWE in the future.

And Styles. Who can do everything RVD can do but crisper, cleaner, and can do actual wrestling better. But then again, I guess Styles can make pretty much anyone look bad.

There is one huge problem I have with the RVD to ROH idea. Namely that I'd never get to see him unless ROH suddenly got a TV deal. I guess there's always buying a bunch of DVDs, but there's only a certain amount of $$ I'm willing to spend on wrestling.

I'm assuming you know about the new PPV deal?

Again with the $$ though, KC. Remember, they have to pay for PPVs in America.

*looks smug*

If Van Dam were in ROH, as long as he can do what the fans want him to do, it won't matter what he can't do. He'd probably only be able to do a shot here and there, because they might want him to do more, but as long as he gives the fans the RVD show they want, they'll be happy.

And Styles. Who can do everything RVD can do but crisper, cleaner, and can do actual wrestling better. But then again, I guess Styles can make pretty much anyone look bad.

Styles can also match, or even surpass, RVD in terms of botched spots.

Ok I'm calling "RVD being released early" bogus. WWE.com still hasn't reported it, RVD is still on the ECW roster page, and someone already said that they didn't see anything on PWI. So I'm saying this is bogus until something changes or someone has actual proof.

If Van Dam were in ROH, as long as he can do what the fans want him to do, it won't matter what he can't do. He'd probably only be able to do a shot here and there, because they might want him to do more, but as long as he gives the fans the RVD show they want, they'll be happy.

I'm sure he'd work well for a few shots, much like Christian. I don't think any of what I said would be a major problem unless he were to sign as a regular, which is doubtful anyway.

He wouldn't be the draw of 1999 some people seem to think he still is and I don't think he's the kind of worker that'd draw the ROH fanbase's interests like Kobashi or Liger have. Looking over the roster, I can't see a real 'money' match involving him. Everything seems like more of a 'curiousity' than a legitmate big match.

Do any of the big indy promotions regularly book ECW style hardcore matches? By that I mean tables ladders and chairs, not flourescent tubes and weed whackers like CZW seems to offer. I think RVD would be best booked in those kind of matches, partly because it was add to his drawing power with some ECW nostalgia, and partly because of the chair surfing, Van Terminator spots are the best RVD has to offer.

Yes I know about ROH coming to PPV but there's only a finite amount of $$ to be spent on PPVs.

Besides booking RVD in TNA is a lot easier. Let's face it, RVD has worked a proto X division style for years. Hell, I bet half the guys in the division got into wrestling due to RVD (those in the business less than 8 years). The fact that there are guys out there doing wilder spots these days isn't all that important when those guys for the most part lack RVD's charisma, popular spots, or overness.

Only a complete retard would book RVD wrong in TNA. It's too easy. Provided Van Dam stays healthy here is what I'd do that could flat out draw TNA some money. What has TNA lacked since its inception? Strong champions. Guys who you can put a belt on and say "This is our guy." I'd do the following:

--Samoa Joe needs to win the KOTM match at the next PPV. If not, then at some point during the year from whoever wins that match. Keep Joe strong for a long time with the belt, have him feud with Christian, Sting, Angle again, maybe Daniels or Roode even.

--Give Lethal his X division title win over Sabin, but then put it on Jerry Lynn soon after. Obviously once RVD debuted in TNA, who does he go after? Old rival Lynn, X division title. Maybe have it be a 2 PPV feud. Then RVD can go into the obvious Styles feud, fend off Lethal, Sabin, Shelley, and so on.

--After about 9 months TNA would have two very dominant champions in Joe and RVD. So that is the big money match, title vs. title. It'd be the sort of money drawing match that Heyman was hoping RVD vs. Taz would be before Taz signed with the WWF and Heyman panicked.

I think this scenario would be a big draw for TNA and would certainly end up giving them their biggest buyrate to date.

All this bickering about it being RVD's fault is really nonsense. It seems quite clear RVD wanted out and was just a matter of time. If his demands were ludicrous then maybe he knew that was the way to get out, as we all know from history Vince hates giving guys time off, especially extended time off, which makes it kind of curious as to why RVD kept insisting on it.

RVD being released early or not is a moot point anyway, because the sheer stupidity of not using the most OVER worker on your card to put someone like CM Punk, or hell even give Lashley another rub was surely the way to go if you are serious about not only the ECW Brand, but the workers themselves. To act like RVD had nothing left to offer before his contract was up, or that they couldn't simply "find something for him to do" is probably the most ingenuine statement made about this whole situation.

Oh sure they could use RVD to put Punk over in an Extreme Rules match on PPV. But they'll give that RVD "last match" rub to Gene Snitsky. I'm glad I'm going on vacation and won't be tempted to order that PPV.

If this is true then I don'thave any reason to watch ECW anymore since he was the only entertaining thing on that show.

Elijah Burke disagrees with you but hey...

You are kidding right? RVD has been the only worth watching thing on that show since day one, the only thing memorable about Burke is that Elijah express he did to Sabu onto a table.

I'll put it this way regarding Burke: He's improved enough to be a valuable addition to an already decent roster, but he's not remotely anyone worth going out of your way to see. RVD is someone I might consider going out of my way to see, even if it meant buying ROH DVDs or whatever.