TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA Playoffs 2007: Conference Finals

I'm not much of a fan of the Spurs but you have to admit that they are one great basketball team. I don't even get the whole boring tag either anymore because they're actually a fun team to watch. They can adapt to play just about any style... and succeed at it.

I have to say the combination of Jeff Van Gundy and Mark Jackson in the booth is highly entertaining.

I find Mark Jackson to be atrocious myself. JVG had me cracking up with his idea for a new rule that if you hit a shot from half court the game is automatically tied. Now if you put Bill Walton in Jackson's place, that would be amazing.

And whose idea was it to put Screamin' A on the halftime show?

Oh yeah, there was a game too. Um, the Jazz looked pretty terrible, but I can't say I'm surprised after the Game 4 collapse. In some ways, I'm glad the Jazz got annihilated, but at the same time, it leaves me depressed about the first round. Man if that ESPN color guy made some simple adjustments in Game 7, he's probably spending tomorrow getting ready to coach Game 6 of the WCF instead of playing golf or whatever. Fuckin' Jazz ruined the playoffs for me this year.

It's kind of hard to blame JVG for the Rockets losing in the first round. That series may have gone seven games, but there was no doubt that the Jazz were a much better team. They had mismatches all over the floor.

On paper maybe, but the Rockets had a very realistic chance to win that series. I don't really feel like re-visiting that first round pain again, and I know I've made these points already, but basically, if...

1. JVG used the small lineup more than 2 minutes a game

2. Hayes guarded Boozer instead of Yao

3. T-Mac controlled the ball down the stretch in Game 7 instead of Yao

Houston probably wins the series.

Eh. I didn't watch a single game of this series.

I watched some 4th quarters of some of the Detroit/Cleveland games, but I am really disinterested in the playoffs right now. Still bitter I guess.

And that interview with Bruce Bowen the other day just pissed me off any more. Him explaining why he isn't a dirty player while they showed 7-8 times in the Suns series where he clearly took cheap shots (the ones of him "accidentally" kicking Nash in the head 3 times was funny) and the other cheap shots against Vince, Ray, Finley, and other was bad enough. But then after that video aired, where they clearly showed at least a dozen dirty plays from the last 2 years, the announcers STILL say he isn't dirty.

I like most of the spurs. I really do. I like Tony Parker. I like Tim Duncan. I like Michael Finley and Brent Barry and Ubrich, and Oberto, and Elson. Despite his faking injury after flopping, I like Manu. But Bruce Bowen's dirty ass can fucking bite me and I can't root for a team that has a player that dirty on it.

What about Horry?

If he gets another ring this year, he'll be the most ringed player outside of the Russell-era Celtics

Eh, I have been ignoring Robert Horry since I was growing up in Alabama and playing Andalusia in basketball. I have over 15 years of experience when it comes to ignoring Robert Horry and it will continue now.

Too enthralled watching Lebron Jordan up while Detroit looks on helplessly. Those dunks were all awesome and the no-angle shot from nearly 3 point range was absurd.

LeBron in this series has really shown he can play defense too, just taking tayshaun prince out of the game entirely.

Notice both regulation and OT1 ended with horrible coaching. That was a horrendous final play of regulation for the Pistons and now the Cavs with the timeouts. I'm reminded of Bill Simmons' recent column/blog/whatever, where he's comparing the coaching of mike brown and flip saunders and how they're trying to outdo each other in suckage. This game makes me think of that column.

LeBron is unreal tonight.

Really a legendary game...glad I got to watch it...insanity.

Jesus Christ is LeBron ridiculous. He basically just beat the best team in the Eastern Conference 1-on-5. I think the probability that he finishes with a better career than Jordan is now definitely over 50%.

He's gonna get all this praise for this game...and he deserves every bit of it, because he was truly beyond real tonight.

He's freaking 22 years old...and he decimated 5 players at once for the last 20 minutes of that game. Just surreal.

Jesus Christ is LeBron ridiculous. He basically just beat the best team in the Eastern Conference 1-on-5. I think the probability that he finishes with a better career than Jordan is now definitely over 50%.

Easy, tiger. LeBron is great, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

wow, Lebron. damn.

It's over for the Pistons I think, I dont see yet another 3-2 comeback. Ironically it was defense that failed them, I think Lebron had like 3 open dunks in regulation and OTs.

Plan B, Billups + Hamilton + young guy or draft pick for Kobe!!! What, a guy can dream, right?

I have to say, this game tonight was perhaps the first time in a long while I've been pumped over an NBA game. LeBron tonight may well have gotten to that next level. I'm thinking Cleveland now can win game 6 to get to the Finals, but realistically I don't know how much of a shot they have vs. the Spurs. I'm not 100% sure they'll get past Detroit yet, but it seems hard for a team to come back from a loss like this one tonight.

Easy, tiger. LeBron is great, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

He's 22 though! At 22, he's carrying a worse team to the Finals then Jordan ever took there. Jordan didn't get to the Finals until he was 29 years old and he had Scottie Pippen and Horace Grant. Can you even imagine what LeBron would be like 7 years from now with some good teammates? It would be "hand out the trophy in October, no one else has a chance".