TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Human Fly

Chris Benoit Dead - Toxicology results released

There is absolutely NO excuse for killing your family. I see alot of comments saying "well, maybe he was mentally ill" "maybe it was the roids" "maybe it was post concussion dementia".........it doesn't matter. If the guy actually killed his family then there is no excuse or any way to make him seem better or forgivable in any light.

I think you should speak with a professional about it.......these are serious problems alot of people aren't aware of the severity of them......it causes normal people to do something that Benoit has likely done here....It's far more serious an issue than you make it out to be here where you are basically like "fuck him he should be able to control that" It's akin to being normal for the most part but blacking out like being drunk and waking up.....

Do you understand what clinical depression and dementia are?

This is more a general post than a comment on Benoit, Like I was saying earlier it seems people have very little sympathy for these people like they all should be able to control these problems and they're just fuck ups and it's nothing serious.......it's really not like that at all.

I understand what you're saying,b ut I also don't need a lecture on mental illness. I'm a psychology major and one of my good friends is a diagnosed schizophrenic so I know a good amount of mental illness.

I'm not ssaying to dismiss his illness IF there is in fact one. I'm saying let us not use that as a crutch to sort of give him a pass on why this was done. The man did a terrible thing plain and simple. Illness or not.

Damn...at first you feel sad for Chris, being that he's someone that all of us respected, now the idea that he kills his wife and son. I don't know what to think now.

I agree with that. I have been watching him for 15 years now and he was my all-time favorite wrestler. I was really sad and ever put up wallpaper on my desktop with his picture. After I found out about the double-murder/suicide thing it has been replaced by a picture of Michael Myers from the new Halloween movie. I'm filled with mixed emotions right now.

From PWInsider:

WWE YANKS ALL CHRIS BENOIT MERCHANDISE FROM SHOPZONE WEBSITE

by Mike Johnson @ 10:42:00 AM on 6/26/2007

In light of the Benoit family tragedy, WWE's Shopzone merchandise website has pulled all merchandise related to Chris Benoit. Searches for Benoit's name in the website's search engine are returned "discontinued."

Benoit's name has been removed to the degree that the listing for the DVD of Wrestlemania XX now reads, "Triple H defends his World Heavyweight Championship against Shawn Michaels."

I'd hate to be the guy that has to blur him out of WWE history.

From the WO update, this makes me really worried:

ABC has reported that “instruments of death” were found at the scene and that the wrestling industry itself is about to come under heavy media scrutiny.

The report is from a video that aired on "Good Morning America", and the update from Marvez is just worded wrong. The reporter on the scene broke that sentence up into two statements. He said something to the effect of "...but they [the "instruments of death"] haven't been disclosed yet. Nevertheless, the wrestling industry itself is about to come under heavy scrutiny".

There is absolutely NO excuse for killing your family. I see alot of comments saying "well, maybe he was mentally ill" "maybe it was the roids" "maybe it was post concussion dementia".........it doesn't matter. If the guy actually killed his family then there is no excuse or any way to make him seem better or forgivable in any light.

I think you should speak with a professional about it.......these are serious problems alot of people aren't aware of the severity of them......it causes normal people to do something that Benoit has likely done here....It's far more serious an issue than you make it out to be here where you are basically like "fuck him he should be able to control that" It's akin to being normal for the most part but blacking out like being drunk and waking up.....

Do you understand what clinical depression and dementia are?

This is more a general post than a comment on Benoit, Like I was saying earlier it seems people have very little sympathy for these people like they all should be able to control these problems and they're just fuck ups and it's nothing serious.......it's really not like that at all.

I understand what you're saying,b ut I also don't need a lecture on mental illness. I'm a psychology major and one of my good friends is a diagnosed schizophrenic so I know a good amount of mental illness.

I'm not ssaying to dismiss his illness IF there is in fact one. I'm saying let us not use that as a crutch to sort of give him a pass on why this was done. The man did a terrible thing plain and simple. Illness or not.

Ok we can agree on this.....

Also for the guy offended by my pics I already explained I have seperated the wrestler and the person here.......Chris Benoit the wrestler meant tons to me growing up as I explained a few pages back I can't just.....drop that with the snap of my fingers. I'll always have good memories of him as a wrestler because I seperate what he does on screen from what he does at home.

If the worst case scenario is true, WWE will indeed have to take extreme measures to remove Benoit from their history. Even a minute long highlight clip within proper context will be seen as glorifying a murderer.

From PWInsider:

In light of the Benoit family tragedy, WWE's Shopzone merchandise website has pulled all merchandise related to Chris Benoit. Searches for Benoit's name in the website's search engine are returned "discontinued."

Benoit's name has been removed to the degree that the listing for the DVD of Wrestlemania XX now reads, "Triple H defends his World Heavyweight Championship against Shawn Michaels."

I wonder if he's still in the title history?

crap wwe.com is down

Well the autopsy won't be revealed for two weeks, and WWE is teasing they know more details, but the police don't want them to say anything until further notice.

If the worst case scenario is true, WWE will indeed have to take extreme measures to remove Benoit from their history. Even a minute long highlight clip within proper context will be seen as glorifying a murderer.

They can't just take him out of the DVD sets of like Mania unless they take the matches off........it's impossible to edit a man out of a match like that....

still in the title history

holy crap. did they drop the price of the Mania XX DVD to $11 after this happened?

From PWInsider:

I wonder if he's still in the title history?

crap wwe.com is down

It's up for me. And yes, he's still in all the title histories and stuff, and will probably continue to be. The NFL didn't erase all mention of OJ from the record books in 1995.

What a turn of events.

One day Chris Benoit is an internet wrestling god, and one of my favorites ever.

The next he's a child murderer who is going to be purged form WWE history.

The whole thing is still hard to wrap your head around.

Benoit the wrestler was the best ever and he has been one of my favorite pro-wrestlers since I first saw him in an old New Japan tape against Jericho, but as of right now the man is in the same category as an O.J. Simpson (if the allegations are true) and the only smart thing he did this weekend is take himself out too. Murdering a defenseless child is the lowest thing a human can ever do regardless of "mental illness" and "roids".

They can't just take him out of the DVD sets of like Mania unless they take the matches off........it's impossible to edit a man out of a match like that....

It wouldn't be removing him, or even removing matches, as much as would be not addressing him or making direct matches he did have. No retrospectives, no highlights, his matches included only on old PPVs because he was part of the card, and for the sake of his opponents. If the situation is indeed what's feared, I can't see a Benoit match on a highlight DVD for long time if ever.

From WO:

by Dave Meltzer

[email protected]

The lack of an understandable explanation to the circumstances of the death of Chris, Nancy and Daniel Benoit has left virtually the entire wrestling community reeling.

Within WWE, the obvious questions and lack of answers are no different from fans and most of his long-time friends.

Vince McMahon was the inspiring general both to the wrestlers as well as the office staff all day yesterday. He held it together and was a rock of strength for much of the talent, which because of their admiration and in many cases love for Benoit, were saddened, perplexed and having an incredibly difficult time dealing with it.

Vince made the decision to run Smackdown and ECW tapings tonight without any angles or backstage storylines. The show will consist of straight wrestling matches and like last night, the original shows were scrapped. The attempt to put together a show was difficult because the crew and creative staff were said to be both emotionally and physically wrecked after yesterday.

The belief is they will brief viewers on what happened early in the show, and then product two low key shows of nothing but matches.

I'd say it's just that WWE doesn't want to be seen as profiting from him at all right now. He's still mentioned on the site, still in title histories, etc...

Quick look through some of the DVDs at Shopzone and his matches have been removed from the lists. His matches against M.V.P. at WrestleMania and Backlash are no longer listed.

From WO:

by Dave Meltzer

[email protected]

The lack of an understandable explanation to the circumstances of the death of Chris, Nancy and Daniel Benoit has left virtually the entire wrestling community reeling.

Within WWE, the obvious questions and lack of answers are no different from fans and most of his long-time friends.

Vince McMahon was the inspiring general both to the wrestlers as well as the office staff all day yesterday. He held it together and was a rock of strength for much of the talent, which because of their admiration and in many cases love for Benoit, were saddened, perplexed and having an incredibly difficult time dealing with it.

Vince made the decision to run Smackdown and ECW tapings tonight without any angles or backstage storylines. The show will consist of straight wrestling matches and like last night, the original shows were scrapped. The attempt to put together a show was difficult because the crew and creative staff were said to be both emotionally and physically wrecked after yesterday.

The belief is they will brief viewers on what happened early in the show, and then product two low key shows of nothing but matches.

I know I'm probably going against popular opinion, but I think this is the right thing to do. The longer they wait to get back to business, the harder it's going to be.

Benoit the wrestler was the best ever and he has been one of my favorite pro-wrestlers since I first saw him in an old New Japan tape against Jericho, but as of right now the man is in the same category as an O.J. Simpson (if the allegations are true) and the only smart thing he did this weekend is take himself out too. Murdering a defenseless child is the lowest thing a human can ever do regardless of "mental illness" and "roids".

I understand your stance, I do however think our country is behind alot of others in understanding mental illness.

It's a tragic event that won't change no matter what they find but at this point I think I'd just like to remember the wrestler and not the person who apparently had more issues than anyone us ever knew.

They can't or won't erase history imo but they will not advertise or try to promote anything with his name it would appear. I still can't believe this is happening and I can't imagine how awful the wrestlers feel about the situation. To think a few days ago that not only would Benoit be dead but that he killed his own family, and the wwe essentially will disown him is just mind blowing. quite easily the darkest day(s) in wrestling history.

I'd say it's just that WWE doesn't want to be seen as profiting from him at all right now. He's still mentioned on the site, still in title histories, etc...

So basically you think in a few months.........he'll be added back to everything.

From WO:

by Dave Meltzer

[email protected]

What will be interesting, given the sinister turn this has taken, will be if upclose shots of signs in the crowd regarding Benoit, even if positive, are shown.

Its ironic that with all the criticism WWE has gotten over the Vince death angle, that they've handled this situation likely as tastefully and classy as they could have.

With Vengeance, they're lucky that all they have to do is edit out commentary regarding Benoit and Vince, and not more.

I just checked SummerSlam 2004 DVD on WWESHOP and the Benoit/Orton Match isnt even listed anymore

I Check all the PPVs Benoit headlined or had a major match...All Mention of his name are gone..

WOW...just wow

*edit* Just saw JustJoe's post

They can't or won't erase history imo but they will not advertise or try to promote anything with his name it would appear. I still can't believe this is happening and I can't imagine how awful the wrestlers feel about the situation. To think a few days ago that not only would Benoit be dead but that he killed his own family, and the wwe essentially will disown him is just mind blowing. quite easily the darkest day(s) in wrestling history.

A few days ago we'd have all thought Benoit was an example of what wrestling should be.....a great of all time. Someone that was the business and lived for it.......now he's a guy that is going to be disowned from it and never remembered........

Just thinking. What does this mean for ECW? He was, I'm assuming supposed to be their "big" piece that gave some credibility. Who gets traded to ECW? Punk vs. Nitro (though i like it) will not sell anything in the main event scene.

So basically you think in a few months.........he'll be added back to everything.

I didn't really say that. It more than likely depends on what the final facts of the case are. I could see them keeping mentions of him in the title histories and the such, but not mentioning him in DVD listings.

Does it make me a morbid asshole that I'm not throwing away any of my Benoit DVDs/tapes merch and the like......like so many people seem to claim they are?