TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

The sports coverage and announcing thread

"That play was BUCK. Buck is when internal artistry meets external expression."

I had the honor of hearing that Stu Scott quote after leaving ESPN on too long after Monday Night Football. That's an atrocity.

Stuart Scott looks like Cookie Monster. It's enough to detract from previous Carlton Banks comparisons.

I don't mind Jamie Campbell, even if he was an awful Jays homer during the year. But you're spot on about Don Taylor. Who the hell gets fired from a video game? He's just too over the top.

From what I hear, Chris Berman and someone Jackson (forget the first name) were chastising Philly fans, pointing their fingers, and calling them stupid for not knowing what they have in Donovan McNabb and Andy Reid. Fellas, it's been 10 years. We know what we have. Let the fans complain. It's what sports are about. Don't call us stupid and act like you're doing us a favor. Kinda embarrassing for both of these assholes.

FOX is dropping their MLB pre-game show next year.

THANK THE LORD!! Maybe we'll actually get games started at a decent time.

You mean we won't get games from last night recapped at 4 in the afternoon? Or watch Kevin Kennedy awkwardly flirt with Zelasko to the point of offering her a mustache ride? Maybe when we tune in at 335p when the damn guide says that the game starts, it'll actually start then and not at fucking 415?

Happy day. Now all I'm waiting for is "FOX is dropping the MLB next year."

For some reason I got to listen to Colin Cowherd when I was put on hold today. He kept going on about how lame Aquaman was when he wasn't underwater. How hip and original!

Guest Czecherbear

Darrin Jackson ended up staying with the White Sox to do radio commentary with Farmio. Deej is basically the same person as erstwhile Sox radio guy Chris Singleton in terms of offering bland toothless insight and getting blown off by arrogant white guys, so I can't see how this will work. If you're going to keep the same four idiots, you might as well keep the Farmer/Stone brotherhood of douchebaggery intact instead of making Stone work with Hawk. Personally, I'd launch all four of them, but Farmio and Hawk are like the horseshit owner's best buds, and more on him in a forthcoming post.

Darrin Jackson ended up staying with the White Sox to do radio commentary with Farmio. Deej is basically the same person as erstwhile Sox radio guy Chris Singleton in terms of offering bland toothless insight and getting blown off by arrogant white guys, so I can't see how this will work. If you're going to keep the same four idiots, you might as well keep the Farmer/Stone brotherhood of douchebaggery intact instead of making Stone work with Hawk. Personally, I'd launch all four of them, but Farmio and Hawk are like the horseshit owner's best buds, and more on him in a forthcoming post.

Who knows, D.J. could be a good announcer but he just kinda there for the ride working with Hawk, sometimes he'll call Hawk out on the goofy shit he says, so it'll probably be the same with Farmer. Singleton is a better baseball analyst than commentator, so it worked out for him, Farmer wasn't giving him a chance to talk. Hawk is definitely going to step it up be less of a homer now he has Stone as his partner.

Guest Czecherbear

Haha, no he's not. Hawk's old and set in his ways, dadgum it. Besides, you think Steve Stone is gonna un-homer him? Stoney is Mr. White Sox now, and not coincidentally, worse at his job. Everything is a call against the Sox, every ump is out to get them, every opposing pitcher is "looking for his next loss," he's old and bad and absolutely pathetic. You could hear his vagina bleeding when the Cubs swept them. Now he even feuds with people that don't like the White Sox, but this time it's Mike Murphy instead of Hawk vs. Jay Mariotti. I wouldn't even want him back. Can we both agree that Ed Farmer is really bad, though?

"Here's Paulie. When he homers it'll be his ninth. Crede's at first one away. I think you would agree, I think anyone would agree, for that matter, that right here, in this situation, the right thing for Crede to do right here, some would argue the only thing to do, is to steal second to stay out of the twin killing. Isn't that right Chris."

"Well,"

"Exactly. Pitch is way inside. Almost hit him but that's a strike for their guys. Look. HE GOT UP IN HIS GRILL."

I know I've mentioned before how awful Rogers Sportsnet is, and David Bastil is the worst of the bunch. He's doing a pre-game thing about the Leafs, and, granted, it sounds like there's someone running a lawnmower next to him, but I don't know how someone who can come up with a sentence like, "When takling about Ian White's season, 'rollercoaster' is one of the words that can best be described" can get regular employment on a relatively big cable channel. Especially covering the most popular team in the country.

I think that one tops my previous favourite, when he said that Toronto FC was "ridiculed with injuries" last year.

I felt a little bad ripping on this guy yesterday when I found out he was laid-off a few weeks ago.

Guest Smues

I'm late on this one, as I was out of town last week and am catching up on PTI on my Tivo. So on the December 23rd show near the end of the 2nd segment the sound cuts out, and then when it ends they go to commercial, and after TEN MINUTES of commercials we go to Sports Center 'breaking news' about the Texiera signing. PTI never came back. Good job world wide leader.

I don't care for the new redesign of espn.com at all. Supposedly this took many years and lots of money to come up with. All I see is a clunkier, less navigable version of their old site. I've already cut down my number of visits considerably in the past year due to lack of content; this may put an end to my use of the site all together.

You just gotta love Emmitt Smith on ESPN making references to "Troy Palamolu" and "Samari Rolls".

Fortunately all of these other networks have made ESPN obsolete. MLB Network and NHL Network have the formula down right. I can't say that for NFL Network and NBATV because they haven't been picked up by my cable company. Even better would be if networks like that began to broadcast ESPN games with their own announcers.

If only...

Maybe this news will bring the Fire Joe Morgan guys out of hiding.

Things like this just boggle my mind. Steve Phillips is the worst analyst they have. The worst. There is nothing redeeming about him whatsoever as a television personality or as a baseball analyst.

Bill Simmons wrote a really good piece today on his dog dying. Yes, it has nothing to do with sports and it probably isn't really 100% suitable for its prime location on ESPN.com but like all dog stories, it really hit home for me.

Clear Channel kills Fox Sports Radio

Craig Sheamon & James Washington's show has been axed, to be replaced by Dan Patrick, now a Premiere show.

Andrew Siciliano is out, replaced by something called the "PMS Show" from KLAC. I wish I was making that one up.

Chris Myers stays on, but he gets new co-hosts.

No work on "JT The Brick" or the Czabe yet.

Ben Maller is gone.

Also departing Fox Sports Radio weekends is Jorge Sedano.

WTF?

Between this and XM ditching Mark Patrick on Home Plate in the mornings...ugh..

I'd just like to mention that I would rather watch Oprah finger her own ass then watch Sportscenter on TSN with Holly Horton and Jennifer Hedger both on at the same time.

It's not like me to bitch about PTI, but Monday, the Happy Birthday segment was directed to Ellen. I have no problem with Ellen, but it was also the birthday of Chris Chelios, Bob Uecker, and Wayne Gretzky! They mentioned them, but fifteen seconds of Ellen love, a passing mention of three Hall of Famers/Future HoF's. Come on.

I'd just like to mention that I would rather watch Oprah finger her own ass then watch Sportscenter on TSN with Holly Horton and Jennifer Hedger both on at the same time.

Are you whacked?

Clear Channel kills Fox Sports Radio

Craig Sheamon & James Washington's show has been axed, to be replaced by Dan Patrick, now a Premiere show.

Andrew Siciliano is out, replaced by something called the "PMS Show" from KLAC. I wish I was making that one up.

Chris Myers stays on, but he gets new co-hosts.

No work on "JT The Brick" or the Czabe yet.

Ben Maller is gone.

Also departing Fox Sports Radio weekends is Jorge Sedano.

WTF?

Between this and XM ditching Mark Patrick on Home Plate in the mornings...ugh..

Petros & Money is actually not bad, but I am beyond pissed that they nuked Maller's show...now I'm forced to listen to goddamn George Noory and the Foil Hat brigade.

FOX should've kicked Jeanne Zelasko the curb after she disrespected Ernie Harwell at the All-Star Game several years back!