TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tzar Lysergic

NFL Discussion Forumtable: 2007

You'd think the Raiders would just give by this point. I mean he clearly doesn't want to play for them and they'll look like pussies after this. If Russell does sign there's no way the locker room will accept him. They should try and make the most of it by offering another team the chance to sign him for a player or a draft pick. Depending on the team/ player, maybe both.

You'd think the Raiders would just give by this point. I mean he clearly doesn't want to play for them and they'll look like pussies after this. If Russell does sign there's no way the locker room will accept him. They should try and make the most of it by offering another team the chance to sign him for a player or a draft pick. Depending on the team/ player, maybe both.

So they retain his rights for a full calendar year, right? I'd just let him sit at home and watch his stock fall while he does absolutely nothing for months on end. At some point, another team might try to trade for him or he'll cave in and sign with Raiders. I'm still baffled that they chose him 1st overall, especially with no deal in place.

Why? edit: this why is to why the hell did the Titans sign Corey Simon

Oh and maybe someone should have told the Raiders when you draft number one over all, you can't pay him like a late first rounder.

Guest Vitamin X
I still think the Raiders should not have passed on a talent the level of Calvin Johnson.

I agree, especially with the departure of a Randy Moss, and the fact that they just recently acquired Daunte Culpepper, who is pretty much exactly the same QB that you'd get with Russell anyways.

I would probably just try trading the rights to him now, which is what they should've done a while ago. I never understood why teams that are rebuilding and have holes EVERYWHERE on their team always draft QB first, and the rest of the team afterwards. A QB best succeeds if he has something around him with which to succeed.

I can see drafting a QB first when's he's a special talent that you can rebuild the franchise around (Manning, Palmer). However, Russell is not that type of quarterback. He has a big arm and a nice Fiesta Bowl appearance on his resume and... well, that's about it. I don't think he solves any of the Raiders innumerable problems.

Why? edit: this why is to why the hell did the Titans sign Corey Simon

Oh and maybe someone should have told the Raiders when you draft number one over all, you can't pay him like a late first rounder.

I think Al Davis has this crazed notion in his head that when you are drafted by the Raiders, you are supposed to be honored the Silver and Black wanted you and you should immediately sign for the lowest money possible. Course why they didn't try and get him signed or find out if they had a chance to get him signed before they drafted him is beyond me.

I think you guys are overreacting here. It's clear Russell isn't going to start over McCown or Culpepper, especially now. The guy is just going to hold a clipboard this season, so signing him isn't some giant priority. May as well play hardball with his agents.

Of course, you don't want to get the kid to get shell-shocked, but he seems like the kind of confident, cocky type that won't fall apart with a few bad performances.

I don't see him as that... guy looks like he's really sensitive.

He either has two ways to go for his career. He'll be the next Tim Couch, or a highly successful 2 time super bowl winning QB. There is no middle ground with the guy. He's not just going to be some mediocre journeyman QB, as I don't see his ego allowing this if he does end up failing.

Baltimore and New England in back to back weeks? I'm starting to see your point now. Schedule aside though, I still think he should start.

Speaking of the ravens (and NE), the Ravens play SD, NE and IND in consecutive weeks.

and I was right about Drew Olson getting cut! So ha!

BOSTON (AP) -- New England quarterback Tom Brady's newborn son has the initials JET.

Actress Bridget Moynahan announced Tuesday the name of their son -- John Edward Thomas Moynahan -- saying Brady arrived in Los Angeles in time for the child's birth last week.

PFT is reporting that the Jags are going to cut or trade Byron Leftwich. That's just bizarre.

The Vikings should jump all over Leftwich.

The falcons should kill anyone that tries to step in first and get leftwich.

Ryan Leaf

Joey Harrington.

Chris Simms.

Aaron Brooks

Yes I know Brooks and SImms had been in the league a while before they started, but both clearly weren't ready and only got the starting positions because of injuries to Jeff Blake and...um...who ever the fuck the QB was in Tampa.

Although you could argue that their career was destroyed due to them just sucking.

Ryan Leaf

Joey Harrington.

Chris Simms.

Aaron Brooks

Chris Simms still has a chance to be something. The other guys just weren't that good. It had nothing to do with them starting too early.

By the way, cutting Byron Leftwich is just stupid unless they know something that we don't. He's by far the best QB they have and him being healthy this year is one of the reasons I thought they might usurp Indy in that division.

Although you could argue that their career was destroyed due to them just sucking.

Exactly. How is it that starting too soon ruined Ryan Leaf but not Peyton Manning who started his first game the same day that Leaf did?

he conducted a very proffesional interview via telephone and I thought he actually came out of this not looking too bad at all. Evidently the doctors prescribed him the HGH because it would help heal injuries from the past couple seasons. Rodney's name surfaced in the investigation of that internet based thing (one that ended up getting the wrestlers suspended) and he came clean to the commish before things got out of hand and what-not. HGH's original use was for curing musle injuries and helping people who didn't produce those kinds of hormones, so hell...he used it for what its for.

It's still a banned substance, so he still deserves any and all ridicule.

This may be the only time you'll ever see Rodney Harrison and Umaga linked together unless Rodney really needs some cash down the line.

Edited by KingPK

Guest Soriano's Torn Quad

Even when the Patriots get busted for illegal substances, I feel like I'm disrespecting somebody.

Yes "The Patriots" got busted :)

One player gets caught and actually admits to it, whatever. 75% of the NFL uses this stuff and everyone has known this for years. Same with all sports. Rodney wanted to heal from his injuries quicker and did what he and everyone else in his situation would do to help their team. Doesn't make it right but lets not be stupid about attacking him or the Patriots organization when there are hundreds of other guilty athletes in every sports organization.

Guest Soriano's Torn Quad

Would you like to brag about who Tom Brady has sex with, you know, while you're here?