TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Craig Th

Smackdown going HD in January...

(If this has already been posted, just close it HTQ, but I didn't see it)

http://www.prowrestling.com/article/news/5492

The CW Network has announced that all of its broadcasts except for SmackDown will be broadcasted in High Definition this season. SmackDown is scheduled to follow the rest of the network this coming January. WWE has been experimenting with High Definition in the previous months, but don't want to make the leap until they are positive that the product won't lose anything in the translation.

To follow up on an earlier report, the WWE RAW vs. SmackDown video game is scheduled to be released on November 12th.

It makes sense for Smackdown to go HD over Raw, because the taped nature of Smackdown allows for WWE to edit around any of the feared mistakes that HD would spotlight. And if Raw ever goes HD, WWE might be able to work out some camera tricks they can use to avoid the same problems.

Would HD really show more mistakes? If anything, it would show a lot more of the wrestlers' scars and possibly them blading. If SD is going to HD, they can just edit out all the bad parts.

and backne *shudders*

If anything, it would show a lot more of the wrestlers' scars and possibly them blading.

If wrestlers would pause a few seconds and let the camera pan away we would never see them blade.

I think they're more worried about HD showing stuff like punches not making contact and such. Personally, I don't think HD is THAT much clearer that they really need to worry.

Torrie Wilson up close won't be a pretty sight. I've spoke to people that have met her and they all agree she looks about 45 when you see her in person.

I saw Torrie Wilson in person in 2004, and she was absolutely phenomenal.

As for the HD, I'm all for it. I'm really surprised USA hasn't gone to HD yet, especially considering their competition - TNT (already has it) and TBS (will have it Sept. 1).

I don't know if that's good or bad, considering the production quality of Smackdown always looks consistently terrible to me versus most other channels. And I'm on SDTV and standard-def broadcasts.

Screw HD, I want WWE to adopt those beautiful slow-mo replays NOAH occasionally do (Watch Misawa vs Kawada 2005, best taped match ever in my book (as in the way it was shot)).

I miss the slow motion replays.

Cool, my local CW network is in HD so it will be nice to see SD in HD next year. Bear in mind that WWE will still consider Smackdown to be the B grade show, even though the A show (Raw) won't be in HD at all.

I was actually in attendance for the oft-forgotten one and only WWE taping in HD in September 2006. It was a Smackdown House Show that was set up like a TV taping, and included backstage promos and all that, but I don't think they ever used the footage for anything. They displayed the HD picture on the video monitors, and it really didn't look half bad, I'd be interested to see more.

i wonder what that WWE:HD logo is gonna look like in the bottom left corner of the screen

I can hear Michael Cole Now...

MC: WWE HD: World Wrestling Entertainment broadcast in High Definition, Exclusive only to Friday Night SmackDown! on the CW....What about it John

JBL: Whoa, Michael!! The light are own Bright and SmackDown! proves once again why we are the Premiere brand of the WWE..Reminds me of when the APA

won the World Tag Titles for the 3rd time

I am pretty sure they are going HD in September, but I could be wrong.

Marv?

At some point by the end of the year supposedly..

Although if WWF wanted to put RAW in HD on, Im sure they could simulcast it on Universal HD just the same until USA goes HD.

It'd be interesting to see if they letterbox SD on non-HD feeds to keep it widescreen or not..