TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tominator89

Arkansas couple welcomes 17th child

Arkansas couple welcomes 17th child

By JILL ZEMAN, Associated Press Writer

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - It's a girl — again — for the Duggars. Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar welcomed their 17th child, and seventh daughter, into the world Thursday.

Jennifer Danielle was born at 10:01 a.m. at Saint Mary's Hospital in Rogers, Ark., the Duggars said in an interview. Jennifer weighed 8 pounds, 8 ounces and arrived five days after Michelle's due date.

Less than 30 minutes after giving birth, the Duggars already were talking of having more.

"We'd love to have more," Michelle said, adding that the girls are outnumbered seven to 10 in the family. "We love the ruffles and lace."

Jennifer joins the fast-growing Duggar brood, who live in Tontitown in a 7,000-square-foot home. All the children — whose names start with the letter J — are home-schooled.

The oldest is 19 and the youngest, before Jennifer, is almost 2 years old.

"We are just so grateful to God for another gift from him," said Jim Bob Duggar, 42, a former state representative. "We are just so thankful to him that everything went just very well."

Jennifer joins siblings Joshua, 19; John David, 17; Janna, 17; Jill, 16; Jessa, 14; Jinger, 13; Joseph, 12; Josiah, 11; Joy-Anna, 9; Jedidiah, 8; Jeremiah, 8; Jason 7; James 6; Justin, 4; Jackson, 3; Johannah, almost 2.

The family includes two sets of twins.

Michelle Duggar said that Joshua, Janna, Jill and Jessa were at the hospital, but that the rest of the family planned to visit their new sister later Thursday.

Michelle Duggar said she started feeling contractions Wednesday night and went to the hospital at about 5 a.m. Thursday.

"It actually went fast," she said. "I guess once I started progressing, it went within 30 minutes."

Jennifer was born via a VBAC — or vaginal birth after Caesarean, Jim Bob Duggar said.

The Duggars have been featured on several programs on cable's Discovery Health Network. The next special, the Duggar Family Album, is scheduled to air next month, Jim Bob Duggar said.

Among the "fun facts" listed on Discovery Health's Web page devoted to the Duggars: A baby has been born in every month except June; the Duggars have gone through an estimated 90,000 diapers, and Michelle, 40, has been pregnant for 126 months — or 10.5 years — of her life.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070803/ap_on_fe_st/17_kids

Can I just openly say I hope a piece of falling satellite falls on the house and kills every one of them? That doesn't make me evil, does it?

Ha, Jim Bob.

And some of those names are too similar. I guess you limit yourself when all the names start with the same letter, but Joy-Anna and Johanna. Not to mention Jedidiah and Jeremiah being only a year apart. At least none of the names are stupid, except maybe Jinger.

Well, it sounds like they have money and are living well (7000 sq. ft. house), so I don't see a big problem. It would be different if the father was jobless, and they were living in a slum apartment or something.

Big families used to be much more common in the US, as most of you probably are forgetting. My dad is one of thirteen kids...but that was pretty common with farm families back in the day. Cheap labor and all.

They got the house for free over this sick compulsion society has to reward people for breeding, I'm sure. We're not repopulating after the Flood anymore, keep your god damn legs together.

I saw this family on a Discovery show a year or two ago. I think the dad works in real estate.

I think his plan is to cash in on his self-built customer base. Seventeen children = seventeen customers!

Don't we have satelites in space that can sterilize these people with their lazers or something? Or like a guy with a microwave or something?

I saw this family on a Discovery show a year or two ago. I think the dad works in real estate.

I think his plan is to cash in on his self-built customer base. Seventeen children = seventeen customers!

You're on the right track.

His plan is to build his own voting bloc. From May of last year. And since all the kids are from one dad and not 17, it's not hard to figure out which political party he's representing. Gee, the article says he was a supporter of "family values." Ya think?

Former state Rep. Jim Bob Duggar of Tontitown will run for the Republican nomination to the District 35 state Senate seat, he announced Tuesday...

...As a lawmaker, Duggar is known for being one of only two members of the Arkansas House who voted against electric utility deregulation in 1999. After scandals in deregulated California in which energy provider Enron Inc. was accused of shutting down power plants to boost income to the company, the legislature put a hold on deregulation in the 2001 session.

"The same thing is going on today in natural gas and in fuel," Duggar said Tuesday. "Until and unless natural gas companies can curb their greed, there's a need for government regulation. Then there's gasoline prices. People can't pay three times what they used to pay for gasoline. When I went into the legislature in 1999, gas was 69 cents a gallon, and half of that was state and federal taxes. Now it's $2.50 a gallon, with oil companies making 20 times the profit."

Duggar was also known as an opponent of tax increases and a conservative vote on family values.

He introduced a bill to outlaw abortion in Arkansas during his first term. Fellow lawmakers rejected the bill as unconstitutional.

He also made repeated attempts to repeal the state sales tax on low-value used cars, saying it was wrong of the state to add hundreds of dollars of sales tax to vehicles needed by the working poor.

Duggar is a real estate developer who served two terms in the House before running against incumbent Republican U.S. Sen. Tim Hutchinson of Bella Vista in 2002. After that race, Duggar and his family built a new home in the Tontitown area.

Also from the article.

Although the Duggar family is known for its size, it is not the largest family in Arkansas, according to the state Department of Health. At least one woman in Arkansas gave birth to a 17th child, and that child was born since 2001, according to a check with the department. The department would not release the name of the woman or other information, citing a state law that keeps such details confidential.

I'm sure the Duggar family's Web site might be an interesting visit.

Wasn't this family on Oprah a few years ago, and got a lot of stuff from being on her show?

I've never watched an Oprah show in my life, but I think this was another family that used drugs to get 6-7 kids they couldn't afford.

249270409_664e6841fa.jpg

another note, i have two kids and i've been through a combined nine days of labour. let's average this out for seventeen kids. averaged 4 days of labour per child, times 17 kids... 68 days of contractions. i don't fucking think so. and people enjoying having children make me fucking sick. it's not a fucking miracle, it's hard work and punishment for having sex.

...not that i'm bitter about the subject or anything.

edit: when i was pregnant with my oldest, my fiance and i went to a Chilli's resturaunt. the place had just opened for the day, it was noonish. the only two families were us... and this other family that i swear had twelve kids. the oldest seemed to be an older teenager, then there were kids representative of every age group of child, from teen to tween to older kids to little kids to toddlers to infants... and the woman was pregnant. they all came in this huge passanger van. the van had all these pro-life stickers on the back. this made me laugh for about a week. still amuses me when i think about it.

FOUR Days!?!

Shit, I was born in, like, 16 hours or something.

and HA! Jim Bob. Why do hicks always name their kids with same letter names? Bastards.

Actually, I guess they're not. They'll WISH they were.

Never saw a picture before but knew that was the hairstyle the women were going to have.

So this chick has spent more than ELEVEN YEARS of her life being pregnant. Half of her brood hasn't even been alive that long. Just another reason to hate hillbillies.

Another note, I have two kids and I've been through a combined nine days of labour. Let's average this out for seventeen kids. Averaged 4 days of labour per child, times 17 kids... 68 days of contractions. I don't fucking think so. And people enjoying having children make me fucking sick. It's not a fucking miracle, it's hard work and punishment for having sex.

...not that i'm bitter about the subject or anything.

It doesn't take everyone four days of labour to give birth to a kid. In fact, that sounds kind of insane. I only took a couple of hours.

it is insane, and i am aware that i do not repersent the average time of most women to have a baby.

Jinger, 13;

Gimmick-stealing motherfucker.

But seriously, at least most of the other ones on the list are ordinary English names. What the hell is a Jinger? Their retarded way of wanting to name a girl "Ginger" but still keep the egomaniacal retention of the father's first initial?

I can't help but think about Jim Gaffigan's bit where he wonders how parents come up with names after so many children

First kid, you were named after Grandma

Second kid, you were named after my uncle

Tenth kid, you were named after a sandwich

I can't help but think about Jim Gaffigan's bit where he wonders how parents come up with names after so many children

First kid, you were named after Grandma

Second kid, you were named after my uncle

Tenth kid, you were named after a sandwich

Good old Pastrami, he was a good kid.

Fucker could coach an entire baseball team made up of just his sons, and have his daughters play cheerleaders. A few more years and some more boys and he could have a respectable bench and pitching rotation.