TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RonL21

The OAO Thread For The Twentieth Annual SummerSlam Games

So just when the hell is Cena gonna drop the belt? I was REALLY hoping they'd follow through and put Orton over. After he hit the RKO, I thought there was a big chance WWE would do it. Orton was way over with the crowd. Bottom line is, Orton should have won.

Rey's return was virtually heatless. I wasn't even excited about it anyway, especially given that he that one-off comeback to put over Vince/ Trump at Mania.

I like the way the did Triple H's entrance. The crowd reaction was great. I actually marked-out. The match was way too short though. It felt like the specific purpose was to bury King Booker. Yes, we all knew HHH was going over, but they could have at least made Booker a threat.

Khali/Batista was pointless.

Khali/Batista was pointless.

I feel that everything that either man has done is pointless. Maybe I'm just bitter that all my favorite workers are either no longer with the company (Jericho, RVD, Angle, etc.) or becoming Lex Luger 2.0 (CM Punk).

Nick Hogan was just in a real bad car accident according to Alvarez and Rajah

From TMZ:

Hulk Hogan's son Nick was seriously injured in a car accident tonight in Clearwater, Fl.

Law enforcement tells TMZ the accident occurred around 7:31 p.m. ET tonight. According to police, a Toyota Supra, driven by Nick Bollea (Hogan's real name), was traveling at a very high rate of speed when it lost control and hit a raised median. The car was flipped around and the back end hit a palm tree. The impact, we're told, "destroyed the entire car." The two male occupants were flown by Medivac helicopter from the accident scene to a hospital in St Petersburg. We're told both injuries are "very very serious."

The accident happened on Court Street, a main drag in downtown Clearwater, causing the entire street to be shut down for hours.

No 911 call was made to police. The accident was actually called in by an officer who rolled up right after the crash happened.

Oh my.

UPDATE, from PerezHilton:

A male passenger was critically injured in the awful accident, but police are saying that it was not Nick Hogan.

We all saw this coming, didn't we?

Cnn says nick is in serious condition.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/08/26/h...rash/index.html

Perez has pics of the car:

nick5.jpg

That CNN link has footage of Hogan at the scene. I'm not surprised at all that this happened.

Is Nick a fuck up or something? I don't watch Hogan Knows Best so why isn't this surprising?

Guest jonnymack

Ugh, what a crappy PPV. I want my money and time back. The only good parts were a decent Punk/Morrison match (up until the botched wtf finish), the return of HHH (looking real good) but the match was merely meh, and the main event was interesting only due to the crowd. Orton doesn't deserve the strap if he's going to resthold his way through life.

I will say one thing, watching that match and the reaction where I was watching it, there is no way the strap comes off Cena. Cena fans are cheering their hero to "overcome the odds" and everyone else is going nuts praying he finally loses the strap. That was the only time the crowd was seriously hot all night. It's the only reason to even bother with these crappy PPV's.

Khali retaining is a crime against humanity.

Khali retaining is a crime against humanity.

I've just got a really bad feeling that this is going to lead to Khali vs Batisita in a Punjabi Prison match at Unforgiven. OH HAPPY DAY!

Randy Orton's restholds make sense though...he knows he can't overpower Cena. If Umaga and Khali couldn't do it, how can he do it? He has to wear him down, soften him up, then go for the kill. Makes sense to me. It's boring, but it makes sense.

Question: Did Orton's magical ability to give concussions come in to play at all during the match?

Black Lushus, Orton tried to give Cena the "concussion kick" late in the match, but Cena moved out of the way. When Orton immediately tried to do it again, Cena dropped him into the STFU. Orton then made the ropes, both got to their feet, and Orton hit the RKO. Orton's knee had been hurt by the STFU though, and he couldnt make an immediate cover. Cena kicked out, and when Orton went for another RKO, Cena was magically fine, and FUed him for the win. Lame finish.

Randy Orton's restholds make sense though...he knows he can't overpower Cena. If Umaga and Khali couldn't do it, how can he do it? He has to wear him down, soften him up, then go for the kill. Makes sense to me. It's boring, but it makes sense.

Question: Did Orton's magical ability to give concussions come in to play at all during the match?

He tried to kick Cena in the head but Cena moved out of the way.

Black Lushus, Orton tried to give Cena the "concussion kick" late in the match, but Cena moved out of the way. When Orton immediately tried to do it again, Cena dropped him into the STFU. Orton then made the ropes, both got to their feet, and Orton hit the RKO. Orton's knee had been hurt by the STFU though, and he couldnt make an immediate cover. Cena kicked out, and when Orton went for another RKO, Cena was magically fine, and FUed him for the win. Lame finish.

man...that IS a bad finish. Remind you of any other big orange champions you know and his finishes?

man...that IS a bad finish. Remind you of any other big orange champions you know and his finishes?

HAHA yea. Long live the Orange Goblin!

Nick Hogan was just in a real bad car accident according to Alvarez and Rajah

From TMZ:

Hulk Hogan's son Nick was seriously injured in a car accident tonight in Clearwater, Fl.

Law enforcement tells TMZ the accident occurred around 7:31 p.m. ET tonight. According to police, a Toyota Supra, driven by Nick Bollea (Hogan's real name), was traveling at a very high rate of speed when it lost control and hit a raised median. The car was flipped around and the back end hit a palm tree. The impact, we're told, "destroyed the entire car." The two male occupants were flown by Medivac helicopter from the accident scene to a hospital in St Petersburg. We're told both injuries are "very very serious."

The accident happened on Court Street, a main drag in downtown Clearwater, causing the entire street to be shut down for hours.

No 911 call was made to police. The accident was actually called in by an officer who rolled up right after the crash happened.

Oh my.

UPDATE, from PerezHilton:

A male passenger was critically injured in the awful accident, but police are saying that it was not Nick Hogan.

We all saw this coming, didn't we?

Cnn says nick is in serious condition.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/08/26/h...rash/index.html

Perez has pics of the car:

nick5.jpg

That CNN link has footage of Hogan at the scene. I'm not surprised at all that this happened.

Is Nick a fuck up or something? I don't watch Hogan Knows Best so why isn't this surprising?

Wow. Car looks like Bumblebee, mid transformation.

Glad I splitted the bill with 3 others people because that wasn't worth $40. Thumb in the middle at best.

I liked Orton/Cena despite the first half having 4 Orton Chinlock Spots. Batista/Khali was god-awful but all of us who watched the shows rooted for Khali just for shits and giggles. HHH's physique looked more of HHH 2000-01 than roided-upp 2002-03, which is a good thing.

As far as the best thing of the night goes, I'd say it's a tie between Regal dancing or Austin running the ropes in preparation to the beer drinking contest.

You know...I like how Orton's chinlocks are nothing more than restholds, but HBK's legwork at 'Mania is "beautiful psychology." To rate the HBK/Cena WM match higher than this one is pure ignorance, plain and simple, and I have a feeling most people will do that.

HBK is more guilty of doing pointless headlocks and chinlocks than Orton is and he's called a wonderful worker. Angle's the same way. When they do that, it's called pure wrestling at it's best, but when Orton does that it's a boring resthold and they call him cliche names like Blandy Boreton.

I'll go ahead with what some of you have said and call Punk vs Morrison in Extreme Rules at Unforgiven.

In regards to Orton's headlocks though. HBK and Angle at least toss it up a little between the headlocks. They have some high impact moves and whatnot that wear down their opponent. I'll go ahead and say Orton is starting to grow on me with his brain damage gimmick, but what else does he do? He has his headlocks, Mike Sanders' old finisher, RKO, and DDT off the middle rope. He also occasionally tosses-in a dropkick and his snap powerslam. That's where a lot of the Orton hate comes from. If he would vary his moveset a little, I'll gladly admit he would be seen in a better light. For all the mean faces he was making last night, Orton had Cena in a headlock for about 75% of the match.

Guest jonnymack

I don't mind the occasional headlock but it came early and seemed way too often early in the match for my taste. Just my opinion, I think Orton's way to talented to be relying on headlocks that often.

I actually thought the main event provided me with something I haven't felt watching a WWE main event in quite awhile, even though the HBK/Cena Wrestlemania match did a little. That's provide excitement and make me feel like anything could happen in that match. I'm not a fan of Orton, but citing the fact that his move set is small doesn't mean he's a bad worker. It's not how big the moveset is, it's how you use it.

I'm not a fan of Orton, but citing the fact that his move set is small doesn't mean he's a bad worker. It's not how big the moveset is, it's how you use it.

True. I'm not a huge fan either, but atleast he can execute the moves with some sort of... style, if you will, Unlike Cena, who has SLOP written all over him.

But the headlocks made sense in the context of the match. Leading up to SSlam, Orton attacked Cena's head, trying to give him a concussion (ESPECIALLY the RKO on the chair at SNME). It didn't work, but it did hurt Cena. Orton found the opening. So he goes after Cena's head in every way possible: headlocks, chinlocks, stomps, knees, DDTs...it all made sense for Orton to work the head. The rear naked choke he did was VICIOUS, so I don't know why everybody's giving him shit. It was a simple match, and both men worked it well (and I fucking hate Cena, but I'll agree he worked well). Orton working the head at the beginning of the match still had the crowd eating out of the palm of his hand, and his body language and facial expressions when he was in control made the holds more than just restholds, but rather actual elements to the story. The three moves he's used as finishers - the RKO, hangman's DDT, and the recent addition of the Concussion Kick - work on the head, so why not soften Cena's head up to make it work better?

I watched this a bar w/o any sound. Without the crowd reactions, I couldn't rate Orton-Cena above ***1/2, and that's being pretty generous.

It was far from a Smarky crowd, but 80% of the pepole there were pissed as hell Cena retained, and it was X-Pac heat, not I can't wait to see Cena get his ass kicked heat.

Guest Ghetto Bird

The only result that I *really* didn't like was the IC title match; I like the way that Summerslam has had a "tradition" of the Intercontinental Title changing hands... In fact, in the twenty year history of this event, I think that this was only the third successful defense?

The only result that I *really* didn't like was the IC title match; I like the way that Summerslam has had a "tradition" of the Intercontinental Title changing hands... In fact, in the twenty year history of this event, I think that this was only the third successful defense?

It would be the fourth. I had no problem with Umaga retaining. I just thought it was odd that Kennedy took the fall instead of Carlito.

This Kennedy thing is like with Angle in 2000 where they basically jobbed the piss out of him to Big Show, UT, and HHH before main eventing him. It gives us the thought that he's a vulnerable champion that can lose at any time.

I'm still calling it: Kennedy will be revealed as the bastard son on that Oct. 3 hour Raw, then Vince will be a proud dad and give him a title shot at Survivor Series. I wonder if Kennedy knows how to apply a Sharpshooter? Or at least a camel clutch so that someone can throw in the towel for Cena?

Cena is like a more charismatic Bob Backlund, that face champ that isn't all that popular and the more he holds the belt the more people just stop caring.

This Kennedy thing is like with Angle in 2000 where they basically jobbed the piss out of him to Big Show, UT, and HHH before main eventing him. It gives us the thought that he's a vulnerable champion that can lose at any time.

A vulnerable champion isn't one that tends to mean much. Ask Chris Jericho.

It's a good idea in theory to have a guy you're going to make champion do a few jobs beforehand to set up challengers, but generally not with a guy who who already isn't seen at that top level. Sure, if Kennedy does wind up being Vince's bastard seed, then that part might be overlooked, but if the jobs keep coming, there's always the risk that Kennedy being revealed as the bastard doesn't boost his standing like is hoped. After all, if Vince's bastard son has been losing left and right, why should we care that much about him? Sure, it might make for some great comedy, but it won't make for one half of the Wrestlemania main event, which is where he's intended to go.

Leaving the match analysis and such to others, what I noticed was that a lot of people, including Kennedy, have shrunk a great deal in recent weeks. Kennedy was looking less muscular on Raw last week, and he looked even more natural last night. The change in his body is remarkable over the last month or so. Khali has also shrunk. Hunter looked more natural than he has in a a while. Which is good for his career, because I think he's about reached his limit on quad tears.

Apparently, after reading the DVDVR thread for the PPV, Cena held up someone's "If Cena Wins, We Riot" sign post-match, and dared everyone to do just that. AWESOME.

That's truly awesome.

I also read that the dark match between Cade & Murdock and London & Kendrick was better that most matches on the PPV. Hopefully that'll be included as an extra on the DVD?