TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RedJed

ECW/Smackdown Spoilers for this week

Just got back from the show at Target Center - pretty underwhelming all around. Will comment more later but here is the cut and dry results....

First off, no hint, suggestion, or even talk at all about the bastard child angle set for tomorrow night on either show....

New PPV matches announced: HHH v. Carlito (or was that already given away?), Deuce/Domino v. Hardy/MVP, Punk v. Burke

-Jesse & Festus over ????, two local jobbers likely, never heard of them.

-Jimmy Yang over KC James, ok match.

ECW - Overall a definate step down from last week and even pretty much a step down from the last month or two of shows:

Opens with Estrada coming out and talking about how great CM Punk is, enter Punk who gives a little speech about winning the belt and then starts pimping out his "new t-shirt" and says, if Estrada is such a Punk fan, he should put it on. He begrudedly puts it on, and then announces at the ppv Punk v. Burke. Burke comes out, and also gives Punk a bit of credit, but says it was all because of him (ala New Breed days). Really forulmatic diatribes back and forth finished by Punk knocking him out of the ring.

Miz over Tommy Dreamer, short match

Backstage segment with Balls giving Kelly a teddy bear and in the background there is a wall mural thats always at Target Center with the word "together" on it.

Striker over Nunzio in about 10 seconds, not even needing help from Big Daddy V, who was at ringside. After the match, V lays out Nunzio with various spots. Boogeyman's music plays and he's shown on the big screen, cuts some nursery rhymish promo on Big V, and then its announced next week it will be Boogeyman v. Big Daddy V on ECW TV.

Mike Knox is back and defeats Balls when Miz (w/out the chicks) comes out and stands by the entrance to distract Balls. I thought for sure we'd have Kelly run out to help Balls win and stick it to her "ex" but maybe that will be next week or something.

Main event - Richards and Punk over Thorn and Burke, Punk pins Thorn with the Go 2 Sleep. Nothing match really, Richards plays the usual role of getting his ass kicked most of the match, hot tag to Punk, etc.

Smackdown - overall a mixed bag of boring, mundane and ok stuff, all pretty much forgettable though. Not a very good lead-in to the ppv.

Michelle McCool (rides to ring w/ Palumbo on the hog) vs Victoria (w/ Dykstra) goes to a double DQ when the guys start fighting in the ring. Immediately after, its announced as a mixed tag.

Palumbo/McCool over Victoria/Dykstra when McCool pins Victoria. Not sure why we had to wait an extra 10 minutes for the same finish they could have done in the women's single match. On a side note, Taker was seen around the night before and today traveling w/ McCool but made no public appearance.

Random segments backstage all night of Teddy Long and Kristal's bachelor/bachelorette parties. Highlights (may be an oxymoron statement) are:

Butch Reed shows up as a guest to the bachelor party, as does various strippers, Sgt Slaughter, Major Brothers, and probably a few others I'm forgetting.

Festus wants to be best man or something.

Kristal gets a little teddy lingere outfit from all of the divas (for some reason, Mickie James was here with all of the ECW/Smackdown chicks) and one of them hints to have gotten her a "special toy" that was in an unopened box.

The fat oily guy appears at the bachelorette party to dance for Kristal

Last segment sees both Kristal and Teddy accidentally locked out of their respective rooms where their parties are, then everyone joins in and "parties" together.

Druid in black getup is in the ring, played off like Taker returning, then he rips the cloak off to reveal its Mark Henry. Short forgettable promo about his match w/ Taker, leading to the distorted video screen montage of Taker footage, followed by Taker over the PA talking, stating he's back on Sunday, yadayada, then pyro goes off and the Taker "symbol" is shown by the entrance on fire.

Shannon Moore over Jamie Noble, ok match, finish is Moore acting like Hornswaggle is under the ring, Noble bends over by the ropes to check, and gets rolled up.

MVP and Hardy are playing chess, Hardy is winning and MVP sneezes and "accidentally" knocks over the pieces. Hardy then tells him he got him booked in a single match with Domino which is happening immediately.

Domino over MVP, really bad match made worse by the constant mic work of Hardy trying to get MVP chants by the crowd. Hardy did this, I dunno, at least in three or four seperate times during this match. Crowd chants MVP, directed by Hardy, but then the crowd finishes by "sucks" of course. Hardy tries to help MVP out by knocking Deuce off the apron, MVP gets in Hardy's face for helping him, and MVP gets rolled up. I understand they got to give some credibility to D/D for the ppv match, but putting Domino over the US Champion is pretty bad.

Finlay over Kane in some sort of "first time ever" Belfast Brawl, which was basically a no dq/no countout match that was pretty slow and methodic, but ok. Finlay worked over Kane's shoulder the entire match, chair was used a bit on it, etc. Finish was Kane going for the ring steps to use on Finlay, but Finley blocks the move with a shilleleh (sp?) shot to the arm, and then hits his finisher on Kane for the win. Match went a good 10-15 minutes.

This probably wont be shown on TV, but as they took a pause after Kane and Finley left ringside, Hornswaggle showed up from (I believe) under the ring and jumped on the announcer table, and then briefly attacked Michael Cole. May have been some sort of rib on Cole, not sure.

Main event was Batista over Khali by DQ when Khali refused to let go of the double handed claw when Batista made the ropes. Horrid match made worse by the finish. Khali keeps the hold on Batista well after the bell rings, tons of refs run out, Khali breaks it finally and thats the show.

After the cameras cut off, it was an endless sell job by Batista of a good 10 minutes in the ring being attended to. And that was it.

No Rey Mysterio at all here tonight even though he was advertised in being in a dark main event of Batista/Rey v. Khali/MVP weeks ago. Lots of people seemed dissapointed in no Rey, especially the kiddies. Lots of people were hoping for Flair, but nothing.

May have missed something here and there but for the most part, that was the entire show. Majorly boring to see live.

Jed did you go to the show or did you get these from someone else?

Kristal gets a little teddy lingere outfit from all of the divas (for some reason, Mickie James was here with all of the ECW/Smackdown chicks) and one of them hints to have gotten her a "special toy" that was in an unopened box.

They did the same exact joke at the Lita bachelorette party back in 04 (with Jazz of all people getting the punchline)

Anyway nice to see Finlay win a "big" match clean although it's leading nowhere.

With Noble booking the cruiserweight stuff he's obviously throwing out ideas that he knows Vince will like, hence all the wackiness.

I can't believe that after nearly a full year we're *finally* getting a payoff to this Long/Krystal stuff

And Butch Reed!

Jed did you go to the show or did you get these from someone else?

I was at the show - I am just uploading some photos from it, not much well turned out but I'll have a few shots up tomorrow. See Meltz pretty much word for freakin word posted my thoughts on his site, yet I wasnt credited - I did email him the results though so whatever. Its awfully ironic though.

That show sounds like it must've been a chore to sit through, and I thought the last SD before Summerslam that I went to was rough. To this day, the best SD taping I've ever attended was the one prior to Armageddon 2004 that featured Funaki becoming #1 contender to the Cruiserweight title, RVD/Rey Mysterio beating Kenzo Suzuki/Rene Dupree for the WWE Tag Titles, and a GREAT main event of JBL's Cabinet vs Undertaker, Eddy Guerrero, and Booker T. The Dawn Marie/Jackie Gayda feuding over Charlie Haas' affections stuff was good too, in a train-wreck sort of way.

On a side note, Taker was seen around the night before and today traveling w/ McCool but made no public appearance.

Taker and McCool?

On a side note, Taker was seen around the night before and today traveling w/ McCool but made no public appearance.

Taker and McCool?

Rumors have been going around regarding the two of them for some time now. No real proof has ever been brought forth about anything going on, but people are going to talk.

Smackdown & ECW spoilers from Minneapolis

New PPV matches announced at points during the taping: HHH v. Carlito (or was that already given away?), Deuce/Domino v. Hardy/MVP, Punk v. Burke

Dark matches

-Jesse & Festus over ????, two local jobbers likely, never heard of them.

-Jimmy Yang over JC James, ok match.

ECW - Overall a definate step down from last week and even pretty much a step down from the last month or two of shows:

Opens with Estrada coming out and talking about how great CM Punk is, enter Punk who gives a little speech about winning the belt and then starts pimping out his "new t-shirt" and says, if Estrada is such a Punk fan, he should put it on. He begrudedly puts it on, and then announces at the ppv Punk v. Burke. Burke comes out, and also gives Punk a bit of credit, but says it was all because of him (ala New Breed days). Really forulmatic diatribes back and forth finished by Punk knocking him out of the ring.

Miz over Tommy Dreamer, short match

Backstage segment with Balls giving Kelly a teddy bear and in the background there is a wall mural thats always at Target Center with the word "together" on it.

Striker over Nunzio in about 10 seconds, not even needing help from Big Daddy V, who was at ringside. After the match, V lays out Nunzio with various spots. Boogeyman's music plays and he's shown on the big screen, cuts some nursery rhymish promo on Big V, and then its announced next week it will be Boogeyman v. Big Daddy V on ECW TV.

Mike Knox is back and defeats Balls when Miz (w/out the chicks) comes out and stands by the entrance to distract Balls. I thought for sure we'd have Kelly run out to help Balls win and stick it to her "ex" but maybe that will be next week or something.

Main event - Richards and Punk over Thorn and Burke, Punk pins Thorn with the Go 2 Sleep. Nothing match really, Richards plays the usual role of getting his ass kicked most of the match, hot tag to Punk, etc.

Smackdown - overall a mixed bag of boring, mundane and ok stuff, all pretty much forgettable though. Not a very good lead-in to the ppv.

Michelle McCool (rides to ring w/ Palumbo on the hog) vs Victoria (w/ Dykstra) goes to a double DQ when the guys start fighting in the ring. Immediately after, its announced as a mixed tag.

Palumbo/McCool over Victoria/Dykstra when McCool pins Victoria. Not sure why we had to wait an extra 10 minutes for the same finish they could have done in the women's single match.

Random segments backstage all night of Teddy Long and Kristal's bachelor/bachelorette parties. Highlights (may be an oxymoron statement) are:

Butch Reed shows up as a guest to the bachelor party, as does various strippers, Sgt Slaughter, Major Brothers, Jesse and Festus and probably a few others I'm forgetting.

The fat oily guy appears at the bachelorette party to dance for Kristal

Last segment sees both Kristal and Teddy run into each other when they are accidentally locked out of their respective rooms where their parties are, then everyone just joins in outside the rooms and "parties" together.

Druid in black getup is in the ring, played off like Taker returning, then he rips the cloak off to reveal its Mark Henry. Short forgettable promo about his match w/ Taker, leading to the distorted video screen montage of Taker footage, followed by Taker over the PA talking, stating he's back on Sunday, yadayada, then pyro goes off and the Taker "symbol" is shown by the entrance on fire.

Shannon Moore over Jamie Noble, ok match, finish is Moore acting like Hornswaggle is under the ring, Noble bends over by the ropes to check, and gets rolled up.

MVP and Hardy are playing chess, Hardy is winning and MVP sneezes and "accidentally" knocks over the pieces. Hardy then tells him he got him booked in a single match with Domino which is happening immediately.

Domino over MVP, really bad match made worse by the constant mic work of Hardy trying to get MVP chants by the crowd. Hardy did this, I dunno, at least in three or four seperate times during this match. Crowd chants MVP, directed by Hardy, but then the crowd finishes by "sucks" of course. Hardy tries to help MVP out by knocking Deuce off the apron, MVP gets in Hardy's face for helping him, and MVP gets rolled up. I understand they got to give some credibility to D/D for the ppv match, but putting Domino over the US Champion is pretty bad.

Finlay over Kane in some sort of "first time ever" Belfast Brawl, which was basically a no dq/no countout match that was pretty slow and methodic, but ok. Finlay worked over Kane's shoulder the entire match, chair was used a bit on it, etc. Finish was Kane going for the ring steps to use on Finlay, but Finley blocks the move with a shilleleh shot to the arm, and then hits his finisher on Kane for the win. Match went a good 10-15 minutes.

This probably wont be shown on TV, but as they took a pause after Kane and Finley left ringside, Hornswaggle showed up from (I believe) under the ring and jumped on the announcer table, and then briefly attacked Michael Cole. May have been some sort of rib on Cole, not sure.

Main event was Batista over Khali by DQ when Khali refused to let go of the double handed claw when Batista made the ropes. Horrid match made worse by the finish. Khali keeps the hold on Batista well after the bell rings, tons of refs run out, Khali breaks it finally and thats the show.

After the cameras cut off, it was an endless sell job by Batista of a good 10 minutes in the ring being attended to. And that was it.

No Rey Mysterio at all here tonight even though he was advertised in being in a dark main event of Batista/Rey v. Khali/MVP weeks ago. Lots of people seemed dissapointed in no Rey, especially the kiddies. Lots of people were hoping for Flair, but nothing.

May have missed something here and there but for the most part, that was the entire show. Majorly boring to see live.

Pretty much word for word the same.

Taker and McCool?

Rumors have been going around regarding the two of them for some time now. No real proof has ever been brought forth about anything going on, but people are going to talk.

I bet SaraTaker ain't feelin' THAT.

IIRC, McCool's married with children as well. Meltzer used to think it was odd that someone so grounded and family oriented wound up wanting to be in the wrestling business given its treatment of women.

I'm shocked they didn't just go straight to Big V and Punk although with the PPV next week, they were wise to just give Punk a meaningless match with a guy he already has a history with.

why was this taped yesterday and not tuesday?

Smackdown/ECW roster is going overseas, actually right now.

This is really the only good pic from the taping I took.....Taker symbol el fuego....

DSCF0173.jpg

God I hate when John Cena screams when he hooks in that weak looking STFU. It looks so ridiculous.

I love it, but probably not for the right reasons. It never fails to make me laugh.

God I hate when John Cena screams when he hooks in that weak looking STFU. It looks so ridiculous.

I love it, but probably not for the right reasons. It never fails to make me laugh.

Well that's true. I remember laughing hysterically at WM 22 when he has HHH in that weak hold and he's just screaming "AHHHHHH AHHHHHH AHHHHH" and JR is selling the hold like its death.

Good booking for Big Daddy V in squashing all the smaller guys. Makes him look like an unstoppable force. I just started rewatching ECW last week and this isn't too bad of a show. I'll keep up my boycott of RAW.

Why am I looking forward to Big Daddy V-Boogeyman next week?

Well that's true. I remember laughing hysterically at WM 22 when he has HHH in that weak hold and he's just screaming "AHHHHHH AHHHHHH AHHHHH" and JR is selling the hold like its death.

JR really hammed that shit up at WM 23 when he had Michaels "locked" in.

I love that not only is Stevie Richards on TV, but that he seems to be getting a decent sized push.

As is Balls. I can't believe a show with Balls as the #3 face can be the best brand in the WWE but it happened.

Not only is Balls on TV a lot, but he's also in a "romance" angle. I have to admit I never saw that shit coming.

Not only is Balls on TV a lot, but he's also in a "romance" angle. I have to admit I never saw that shit coming.

Not just that, but it isn't that bad. Miz is a good dick heel, Kelly is decent enough to come off sweet and confused, Balls is the perfect "beast" and I love how Leyla is a complete bitch now. Wrestling romance angles generally suck with a couple big exceptions and this isn't rocking the boat either but kudos to WWE for pulling it off without being a complete abomination.