TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zappafrank

"Oops, I Forgot"

During the whole "Rock has never beaten Austin at Wrestlemania." thing, noone (not even The Rock) bothered to mention that Austin cheated outragously and stole the the second match.

He didn't cheat. It was no DQ.

But he sold his soul to bah God Satan himself!!

Guest Hasbeen2

Jesse Ventura once said something to the effect of not remembering who the champ was a few years earlier, but he couldn't have been anyone important, even though he faced Backlund for the belt. WWF calling guys like Terry Funk and Blackjack Mulligan newcomers during their cartoon era runs.

Yeah, that's pretty annoying, looking back at how WWF wouldn't acknoweldge that guys like Dusty Rhodes and Harley Race were established veterans when they had their runs after leaving the NWA.

During the whole "Rock has never beaten Austin at Wrestlemania." thing, noone (not even The Rock) bothered to mention that Austin cheated outragously and stole the the second match.

Leave noone out of this

Guest Hasbeen2
Yeah, that's pretty annoying, looking back at how WWF wouldn't acknoweldge that guys like Dusty Rhodes and Harley Race were established veterans when they had their runs after leaving the NWA.

Yeah that was stupid and insulting, but when Heenan brought out Ric Flair's world title all the previous BS made that moment even more amazing.

Leave noone out of this

There's a registered user named "Noone" on the board. I saw him lurking a few weeks back. You wonder why he doesn't show his face when his name is slandered like this.

It's funny watching Heenan debut the Big Gold Belt on Fed television (I recently watched the clip on youtube). Monsoon acts like he has no idea what that belt is but Bobby makes his usual "ice cream to hose manure" analogy, putting the belt over big.

Of course that's fine, because in the WWE Canon of being in their own bubble, Monsoon would have no knowledge of what that belt is.

Already mentioned, but fake win-loss (most cases lack of loss) records are annoying. Yes, "The Undefeated Snitsky" was hilarious and I think he should always be called that, but even at 10 years old and watching wrestling for no more than 6 months (7 tops), I questioned why Undertaker was being called "undefeated" in the build-up to his match with Hogan. Watching the syndies on both Canadian and American TV, I had seen more than one advertisement for Undertaker vs Ultimate Warrior in bodybag matches. People in my class had been to one of these and told me Taker lost. Keep in mind as kids in 1991 we thought these house shows were important stuff (I actually thought Warrior was going to beat Flair for the title in 1992 - I remember the Monday after that show asking a classmate if Warrior won the title and he excitedly told me "almost!" and explained how Perfect screwed him over).

Anyone know exactly when that practice of forgeting everyone's past started? As I said up thread there is a backstage promo on the Hulk Still Rules DVD sometime around Hogan's title win (don't recall if it was before or after winning) where Bob Backlund flat out confront's Hogan on his heel past.

I even remember reading a WWF kids book around the same time that even mentioned Hogan's past WWWF run, even saying that Hogan was managed by Freddie Blassie!

Another great one is that Ted DiBiase's past (which included an IC title run) in the Fed so when "The Million Dollar Man" came in, it was like some complete new person.

To clarify, DiBiase held the WWF North American title, which predated the current IC title. He lost it to Pat Patterson, who later on won the fictional IC tournament.

EDIT: In fact, I can clearly remember them showing footage of that title change on TV, and claiming it was the final match of the IC tournament.

Edited by alfdogg

To clarify, DiBiase held the WWF North American title, which predated the current IC title. He lost it to Pat Patterson, who later on won the fictional IC tournament.

EDIT: In fact, I can clearly remember them showing footage of that title change on TV, and claiming it was the final match of the IC tournament.

Right. For some reason I thought it was the other way around. The IC's history starts at Patterson, but it is rooted in that NA title.

I wonder why they didn't just go with that title change rather than going with the tourny that never happened in Rio de Janero? Just to whitewash DiBiase's past?

Have they ever kayfabed someone who Patterson BEAT in the final of that tourny that never happened in Rio?

The NA title was still recognized outside of the states. He actually did job that title, according to cawthon's site.

NJPW @ Otaru, Japan - November 8, 1979

Seiji Sakaguchi defeated WWF North American Champion Pat Patterson to win the title; the title change was never recognized in the U.S., where the North American title had already been replaced in favor of the Intercontinental Championship; the title was defended in Japan until it was abandoned in 1981

Speaking of treating so and so like a totally new person, how about Ricky Steamboat coming back as The Dragon in 91 and everyone treated him like a new star. I don't they once ever referred to him as Rick Steamboat or Former IC Champ Ricky Steamboat...just Dragon.

Speaking of treating so and so like a totally new person, how about Ricky Steamboat coming back as The Dragon in 91 and everyone treated him like a new star. I don't they once ever referred to him as Rick Steamboat or Former IC Champ Ricky Steamboat...just Dragon.

That was the one I was waiting for. Even as a 7 year old, I was totally perplexed as to why they were pretending that he was a new person.

It's been touched on before, but the younger fans today have no idea how bad the WWF used to treat workers that they stole from other companies. Guys like Barry Windham, Harley Race, Terry Funk, JYD and Dusty Rhodes were some of the biggest stars on the US wrestling scene and their history was totally ignored as they were booted to the fed's crowded mid-card.

I recall watching a house show on 24/7 when Monsoon kept calling Steamboat a new sensation in the wrestling world, never seen anyone like him, etc. etc. He even called him "exciting youngster"! I know he IS a youngster compared to Monsoon, but come ON!

Actually at SS 91 I recall Piper just saying he was Steamboat. I wasn't sure exactly what they were trying to go for with Steamboat back then.

It was a punishment.

It's been touched on before, but the younger fans today have no idea how bad the WWF used to treat workers that they stole from other companies. Guys like Barry Windham, Harley Race, Terry Funk, JYD and Dusty Rhodes were some of the biggest stars on the US wrestling scene and their history was totally ignored as they were booted to the fed's crowded mid-card.

And yeah, that shit makes me real mad. I don't care for Dusty, but it was sad to see him in the polkadots, blithering about Sapphire and the like. At least they used Tully and Arn right.

It was just really fucking annoying, especially as a fan of all wrestling and not just WWE. I just remember the disappointment I had when Barry F'n Windham showed up on television and they called him "The Widowmaker" and acted like he was some rookie.

I wonder how much money they blew by avoiding things like Hogan v. Rhodes. You would think they could've drawn a decent amount and gotten Hogan over to a more legendary degree by having him squash former NWA champs.

Also, "The Stalker" Barry Windham and "Blackjack Windham". That guy sure debuted a lot, eh?

In fairness, Monsoon called everyone a youngster. I believe Monsoon is one of the few that actually called him Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat too just because he could.

The irony is that Windham's only decent WWF run was in that 1985 era when he was teaming with Rotundo and he was just himself. Even more amusing is that Rotundo found greater fame later with a goofy gimmick as IRS.

I questioned why Undertaker was being called "undefeated" in the build-up to his match with Hogan.

Funny enough, it was Hogan who ended the Undertaker's undefeated streak (as seen on Hulkamania 6 VHS taped on July 1991) before he officially ended it at This Tuesday In Texas in December of the same year.

If its a house show that's fine since those didn't happen unless there was a title change, but I love how WWE ignores event that were seen on TV such as Undertaker's losses to Warrior and Santana.

I'm noticing on these 1987 Prime Time Wrestling episodes on 24/7, they're making reference to Mr. Fuji's "recent discovery Killer Khan". Wasn't he part of a big feud with Andre the Giant under that same name not that many years prior in the Fed?

I'm almost positive I've seen bleach blonde Sting force Stunning Steve Austin to submit to the Scorpion Deathlock. Maybe not?

I only vaguely remember the match, but yeah I remember Sting making Austin submit around 94 or so on some random Saturday Night episode. I can't remember a thing about it otherwise, but I used to toss it back in my friends' faces whenever they'd mention how he'd never given up.

Even though I'm a Shawn mark, I had to laugh once they started applying all that "HE'S NEVER GIVEN UP" talk to him during his face run in 95/96 considering all the time's he'd gotten himself DQ'd or flat out RUN AWAY from matches to keep his belt.

I'm noticing on these 1987 Prime Time Wrestling episodes on 24/7, they're making reference to Mr. Fuji's "recent discovery Killer Khan". Wasn't he part of a big feud with Andre the Giant under that same name not that many years prior in the Fed?

Yes, yes he was.

Even though I'm a Shawn mark, I had to laugh once they started applying all that "HE'S NEVER GIVEN UP" talk to him during his face run in 95/96 considering all the time's he'd gotten himself DQ'd or flat out RUN AWAY from matches to keep his belt.

Not to mention submitting to the sharpshooter in his match against Bret at Survivor Series '92.

I recall watching a house show on 24/7 when Monsoon kept calling Steamboat a new sensation in the wrestling world, never seen anyone like him, etc. etc. He even called him "exciting youngster"! I know he IS a youngster compared to Monsoon, but come ON!

Everyone was "literally" a youngster to Monsoon, as he used to say.

The irony is that Windham's only decent WWF run was in that 1985 era when he was teaming with Rotundo and he was just himself. Even more amusing is that Rotundo found greater fame later with a goofy gimmick as IRS.

My dad, every time he saw IRS on WWF TV during his stint:

"Hey, isn't that Mike Rotundo?"

He never did ask how Rotundo went from the Varsity Club to a boat captain to a dickish tax collector. I still think my dad remembered Rotundo the best from the Varsity Club, though, which isn't bad at all.

I don't mind the old WWF stuff where they ignore a guy's previous run in the federation. Do you have any idea how much their audience had changed from 1981 to 1987? Only people in the northeast had seen that Killer Khan run vs. Andre, so to the vast majority of the audience circa 1987 they wouldn't necessarily know who Killer Khan was. Or that Ted DiBiase had a fairly mundane run in 1980.

The problem I would have is the stuff like Windham and Steamboat, where everyone obviously knew who the guy was.

That's not true - watch this Steamboat match from 91 I put on Youtube and listen to the commentary - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5WYDCYy6i7M

I just think WWE likes the perception that their is no other wrestling but them. They occasionally change that mindset when it's convenient to their pockets, and even then most of the time they miss the boat. It's kind of like how we know WWE bought WCW, and their had to be atleast a decent amount of WWE fans who were also WCW fans, and their had to be a decent amount of WCW fans who were going to check out WWE if they weren't already fans, and they bring DDP in as a stalker? Even for the heel DDP that character change was so out of left field.

I guess the biggest pet peeve of mine with WWE as far as forgetting if when two guys had a really hot feud years earlier that resulted in a couple matches, and then 2 years later if they have been reasonably seperated it's suddenly a first time match.