TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zappafrank

"Oops, I Forgot"

Right now in TNA, they're acting like Kaz's association with Tracey Brooks is out of left field, when in fact she was his valet when he tagged with Matt Bentley.

Over on SD, they're acting like Palumbo has never been on SD before. Furthermore, JBL talks about Palumbo winning gold someday as if Palumbo hadn't already held WWE gold.

Kane acting like Vince could be his dad is something I brought up elsewhere.

What about Michael Cole pulling for Heidenreich back in 05 when just a few months earlier, Heidenreich "raped" him in a bathroom. I dunno abotu you guys, but I would probably hold a grudge over something like that.

Back in 2002, on Velocity, one of the commentators stated "I don't know what this n.W.o. is, or what it means, but I can tell it's bad news". This was of course, shortly before their return/WWF debut at No Way Out, but to act like the n.W.o. is something NO ONE has ever heard of before is just plain stupid.

Another example is anytime a heel is cutting a promo, and the music of the face they are feuding with hits, most commentators tend to yell "WHAT'S THIS NOW? WHO COULD THIS BE?!"

I remember years ago...former AWA commentator Rod Trongaard had joined the WWF announcing crew...a match on Prime Time with the Rockers (aka former AWA World tag team champs the Midnight Rockers). He makes the comment, "I know absolutely nothing about the Rockers."

Shane as the face leader of WCW was a brave "stepping out of his father's shadow" kid finally doing something on his own, doing it from scratch

After the heel turn, that was forgotten in favor of Shane being an ungrateful spoiled brat who never worked a day in his life doing something just to get his daddy's attention.

When Edge and Christian teamed together 3 years ago, The Announcers forgetting that they're supposed to be brothers.

2004: Ric Flair chastises The Hurricane for his superhero gimmick.

2001: Ric Flair re-hires The Hurricane after the invasion stating "The WWE needs more superheroes."

Early-2001: After JR gets beatdown by Austin, he tells Vince Shane has offered him a job in WCW.

Mid-2001: JR is rooting for the WWF headed by Austin and Vince.

Over on SD, they're acting like Palumbo has never been on SD before. Furthermore, JBL talks about Palumbo winning gold someday as if Palumbo hadn't already held WWE gold.

Palumbo stayed at ringside when the lawyer clued is into the fact that the bastard son had won gold in the WWE before. He left when they said it was singles gold.

At the ECW episode from Philly last year, Devito (one of Da Baldies from the original ECW) hopped out of the crowd dressed like a priest and Styles and Tazz acted like they had never seen him before. This wouldn't have bothered me if it was anyone other than Styles on commentary, though.

Anytime Steph's ever taken Vince's side since that skit from a few years back where she talked about how he pimped her out to his business associates when she was younger.

The whole Katie Vick storyline, where they conveniently forgot that Kane was supposedly locked away for 20+ years.

WWE selling Ric Flair vs HBK as a FIRST TIME EVAR~ match when their original match from 91 actually factored into the break up of the Rockers. They corrected this after enough people called them on it, though.

Palumbo stayed at ringside when the lawyer clued is into the fact that the bastard son had won gold in the WWE before. He left when they said it was singles gold.

Not to nitpick, but Palumbo actually left at the blond hair clue.

Anytime Steph's ever taken Vince's side since that skit from a few years back where she talked about how he pimped her out to his business associates when she was younger.

To be fair, women often side with abusive men, especially if they're their dads.

WWE.com said that Team DX's victory at last year's Survivor Series was the first clean sweep ever at the event forgetting that Team Undertaker in '95 swept Team Mabel.

Cole and JBL putting Khali over as an unstoppable force after he moved to SD, wondering if anyone could beat him, even though Cena beat him twice within the previous 2 months. Umaga got the same treatment heading into WM.

WWE.com said that Team DX's victory at last year's Survivor Series was the first clean sweep ever at the event forgetting that Team Undertaker in '95 swept Team Mabel.

To expand upon that, there were also full-team Survivor Series victories in 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1999 (Big Show on behalf of his team) and maybe more that I can't recall off the top of my head. It seriously peeves me when WWE treats me like I'm wasting my time by remembering what has happened in their storylines (even if I probably am).

I thought I heard JR and King say during Unforgiven last night that they couldn't remember ever seeing a Diva as physically dominant as Beth Phoenix. Seeing as how Chyna is fairly prominently featured in this month's Monday Night Wars on 24/7, it struck me as being particularly off-putting.

That's a real common one. "I've never seen anyone (verb) like this (noun) is doing!" It's the old greatest-night-in-the-history-of-our-sport hyperbole, and it usually tends to be the fault of the office, not the announcers, who commonly have crap like that forced upon them to say.

When a wrestler or team wins a couple weeks in a row on TV, and the announcers say what a huge win streak they have going. The biggest example I can remember of this was when Lance Storm and William Regal started teaming, and a couple weeks later Jim Ross proclaimed them "one of the winningest teams in WWE history", or some such non-sense.

I can understand hyperbole. Would you rather they say, "in terms of our sport this ranks somewhere in the middle!"? Doesn't come off as well.

One that sticks out is Gorilla Monsoon in 1992 stating Bushwacker Luke held the record for the shortest Rumble time. The record was held by the Warlord. Given that the Warlord was #30 in this Rumble, it would not have helped to mention how easily he was once eliminated.

I can understand hyperbole. Would you rather they say, "in terms of our sport this ranks somewhere in the middle!"? Doesn't come off as well.

Or not say anything or say stuff like "This is going to be in the conversation of all-time matches/events/whatever"

Say "greatest moment/whatever" too many times, it looses all impact.

As someone who used to watch old USWA/Memphis stuff it irks me nowdays to see guys who were bitter enemies now teaming up without a reason as to why they are now friends. A big example of this was last year when Carlito and RVD teamed on Raw, with zero explanation as to why Van Dam would team with the guy who tried to injure his surgically repaired leg.

At least with USWA they would have these guys cut promos saying stuff like "Yeah I don't trust this guy but we're putting that aside for now to face so and so."

That's a real common one. "I've never seen anyone (verb) like this (noun) is doing!" It's the old greatest-night-in-the-history-of-our-sport hyperbole, and it usually tends to be the fault of the office, not the announcers, who commonly have crap like that forced upon them to say.

The worst example being whenever anyone beats down The Undertaker, of course. I can't remember off the top of my head how many times it used during the Hogan era when he was on the end of a bigman beatdown. With Taker it pretty much begins every other feud and has done since Giant Gonzalez.

The worst example being whenever anyone beats down The Undertaker, of course. I can't remember off the top of my head how many times it used during the Hogan era when he was on the end of a bigman beatdown. With Taker it pretty much begins every other feud and has done since Giant Gonzalez.

Yep, happens all the time with Undertaker. Every time he gets beat down, it's:

Cole - "NO ONE HAS EVER BEAT DOWN THE UNDERTAKER LIKE THIS!"

JBL - "THIS MAN IS A MONSTER, COLE!"

This may have been previously mentioned, but in 2005 during the Cena/Angle feud, the announcer's were determined to convince people that Angle had NEVER EVER tapped before. I guess I dreamed all the submission matches he lost to Benoit, getting choked-out by Tazz at Royal Rumble 2000, and when he tapped to The Rock's "Crapshooter" at Survivor Series 2001.

Lawler saying at the Rumble this year questioning if Shawn / Undertaker has ever happened. I chuckled at that.