TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smues

MLB Off-season Thread

Would Jay Bruce get it done? If so hopefully the reds offer him up.

Hell no. I'd rather have Bruce than Lincecum.

Just curious why I post a new thread about the A-Rod news that just broke a few hours ago and within minutes some thread-Nazi locks it. Is it because I'm supposed to post in this thread?

Just curious why I post a new thread about the A-Rod news that just broke a few hours ago and within minutes some thread-Nazi locks it. Is it because I'm supposed to post in this thread?

I didn't close it, but we already have a thread regarding Rodriguez opting out of his contract.

Guest Smues

I didn't close it, but we already have a thread regarding Rodriguez opting out of his contract.

Despite my reputation as a thread consolidation nazi I didn't close it either, but besides having the A-rod thread, someone already posted what you posted in that thread long before your thread.

The Reds should not offer up Jay Bruce right now. I really like Lincecum, but Jay Bruce is a 5 tool player. Years down the road, it could be proven that I am wrong, but I think Bruce will be a perennial All-Star banging out big numbers.

Meh. It's just that there's been a few instances on this board where I've started a new thread and it has immediately been locked because it apparently should have been posted in one of the generic 100 page all-encompassing threads instead. I mean I would rather there be several different threads about baseball issues so I can pick the ones I want to read rather than reading through the whole "MLB offseason thread" to find something of interest.

I closed it, and it was for this reason. We already have a thread that is specifically about A-Rod opting out of his contract.

I sort of like this seemingly agressive approach that new GM Ed Wade is taking the first few days of the Hot Stove season. In addition to contacting the agents for Rowand and Hunter, it's been confirmed that he's contacted Curt Schilling (even though Houston wasn't on 'the list') and today it was confirmed that the Astros plan to agressively pursue Luis Castillo. The only other team I've heard of being interested in Castillo is the Mets, and they just signed Damion Easly, so if the Astros can get Castillo to be a slap-hitting, high-OBP leadoff man in front of Pence, Berkman, and Lee, that would be an upgrade. And then they could shop Burke and Scott for pitching.

Andy McPhail is blowing up the Os organization getting rid of coaches left and right trying to bring in guys who fit his vision for the Orioles franchise..however he keeps being mentioned as the front runner to take over as Commissioner of baseball soon..so i wonder if we'll be seeing the same thing in a few years from a new GM.

Anybody got information on these 2 guys? GM Jim Hendry said that the Cubs definitely discussed going after Japanese free agents Kosuke Fukudome and Hiroki Kuroda.

- Marlon Anderson is expected to get a one-year deal with a 2009 option to remain with the Mets.

- The Nationals have initiated contact with the agents for Torii Hunter and Aaron Rowand.

- Under the terms of his new contract, Matt Stairs will make $2.25 million next year and $1 million in 2009 for Toronto.

- Cubs exercised first baseman Daryle Ward's $1.2 million contract for 2008.

- According to the Beaver County Times, the Pirates could name Triple-A Ottawa manager John Russell their replacement for Jim Tracy as soon as Monday.

Russell, 46, was on the Pirates staff in 2003-05. He's reportedly being picked over White Sox bench coach Joey Cora, Dodgers bench coach Dave Jauss, Triple-A Indianapolis manager Trent Jewitt and Cleveland third base coach Joel Skinner.

So I guess Joe Torre to LA is now official: 3 years, $13 million.

Also, the Pirates announced they have hired John Russell as their new manager. He comes from the Phillies minor league system, but previously worked as the Pirates third base coach. I know little to nothing about him.

Schilling and the Red Sox are close to finalising a one year deal

ESPN.com has it at $8 million with $2 million in incentives. If that's the case, that's a good deal.

Pettitte declined his $16 million option.

This sucks.

It doesn't mean that Pettitte is gone. Not even close.

I know it doesn't. He is probably looking for one more contract so he can retire in 2 or 3 years. But it's just another thing to deal with, on top of the Posada and Rivera free agencies. Thankfully they picked up Abreu's option in the mean time.

ORLANDO - Curt Schilling's new 1-year, $8 million deal with the Red Sox (which is pending results of a physical) will include $2 million worth of incentives if he meets weight requirements. The team hopes to insure that Schilling will be fit when he comes to spring training, a source close to the negotiations said moments ago.

Schilling can earn an additional $3 million in performance bonues, making his total incentive package at a possible $5 million. According to the Associated Press, the performance bonuses are based on innings pitched.