TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

UFC 81: Breaking Point

I would say a more overlooked fact is that Mir has been punched in the face, while Brock hasn't. I doubt Brock is training with people fully punching him in the face, and one's reaction to getting hit like that is always an x-factor in a fight.

It's a win/win situation for the UFC, if you really look at it.

If Brock loses, they can use the it was only his 2nd fight excuse and then build him up from there giving him easier opponets. Losing to Mir in his 2nd career MMA fight won't hurt Brock, but will be able to see what kind of level he is at. The potential is there... He's extremely athletic, and has an amazing amatuer wrestling background. But there is still a lot of questions about him like people have pointed out in this thread.

If Brock wins, then they can make big $$$ fights with him. Give him an even tougher fighter for his next fight... A possible title contender like Cheick Kongo, or even have him take on Mirko Cro Cop.

WON reported UFC bought rights to WWE Brock clips to push the PPV

Aside from the Super-Plex on Show and the Shooting Star press gone bad, it's not like Vince was using any of the clips anyway

Yes, but, different environment, and Brock was prepared for it. Despite knowing slightly less than Jack Shit about MMA (except that the African Assassin was totally out of his depth on 79, even I could see that), I'm willing to bet that you don't stand in the octagon going "well this guy's going to hit me in a second, I'd best brace for it". You try and AVOID getting hit. Also, Brock would have known that two chairshots and then he rolls out of the ring. It's a bit different to the factor of getting hit in the face and starting to stagger and realising that now you're off-balance you're going to get pounded into fertiliser until the referee calls a stop to it.

As much as I <3 Dana and tend to defend most of his business decisions.... his preoccupation with the heavyweight division is bordering on insanity. Time after time after time, the heavyweight division puts on the most boring fights of the night and to fill a card with them is pretty much the opposite of filling a card with 55'ers. I can see where they are going with this; the idea being that Brock Lesnar will draw in a big audience of wrestling fans, so to get over guys like Kongo and Sylvia - two monsters of men - could potentially "hook" those new fans into watching other ppvs that those guys are on... but it's ignoring the fact that the matches could suck and turn those fans equally off.

Not to mention there's a huge difference between the forehead and jawline.

Yup, forehead has a lot more "padding" if you will.

I agree with the different area regarding the jawline and the forehead, but that first one was pretty much square in the mush. No forehead, no jaw....pretty much mashed his face front on.

I'm not arguing that I think Lesnar will be a killer in the ring, I just don't think he should be counted out so easily.

I disagree, Horn is a tough guy to KO, and Nate's striking is very rigid. I think Nate will win a hard-fought decision, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Horn pull it off.

This is a past his prime(if he ever really had a prime) Jeremy Horn we are talking about...

Nathan should be able to keep the fight on his feet and batter Horn until eventually stopping him. This shouldn't be a tough fight at all for Nate, especially since he's had more time to prepare.

I disagree, Horn is a tough guy to KO, and Nate's striking is very rigid. I think Nate will win a hard-fought decision, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Horn pull it off.

This is the same Jeremy Horn that got laid out by Lindland, right?

Is there a website where I can try to locate a hooters or a bar airing the UFC ppv near me? I need to be in a local area to watch the fight.

Is there a website where I can try to locate a hooters or a bar airing the UFC ppv near me? I need to be in a local area to watch the fight.

I just distance search the closest Hooters if I'm out of town and ask them. Usually if you are in a decent sized city, they are showing it.

I think I'm anticipating Lesnar/Mir more than any fight I can remember simply because I, along with just about everyone, has no idea how it's going to go. People make arguments that Mir's jitz is too strong and Lesnar is tapping immediately and I can totally see that happening. On the other side of the coin, Brock is too strong, his GnP will crush Mir, who still isn't the same, which I can also buy.

Naturally, I lean towards Mir but when you have guys like Militech saying that Lesnar can be the best HW in all of MMA within a few years I question my original thought process. I hate MFS fighters, for the most part, but I respect the man's opinion.

I just can't wait to see what happens.

If Brock doesn't get submitted, or gasses (Which I went on record earlier about) he'll win the fight. I seriously doubt a Frank Mir punch is going to KO Brock, unless he's drastically upped his power and technique. Maybe if he caught Brock shooting in, but I think he'd be much more worried about stopping the 265+ pound bullet shooting at him then trying to knee him.

I can see Brock immediately shooting in, taking Mir down, and Mir getting an armbar...but at the same time, Brock has serious power and could pull a Sapp and just slam his way out of it. Who knows? Brock's been training for some time now...by now he HAS to know how to escape submissions, and how to box at the very least a defensive level.

Brock is easily the biggest X factor in MMA. What if Brock knows how to strike now? How many people could stand up to a Brock Lesnar cross? What if he knows how to get submissions? Could you imagine trying to break free of a Brock Lesnar Kimura or Keylock? How the hell would you escape with his power combined with his ground positioning?

I still think it's most likely that Mir wins the fight due to experience, but if he doesn't get Brock quick, who knows what'll happen. I can't see Mir not gassing from Brock on top of him for three rounds though. The longer Brock has top position, the quicker Mir gasses. Mir's never had a good gas tank, and having a gigantic fucking 265 (He'll probably fight around 270 or so, since he cuts) laying on him for a round will kill his cardio fast.

I'm gonna put it this way:

Mir had trouble with WES SIMS, and lost to Ian Freeman, and most importantly, a debuting-to-MMA Pe De Pano. So it's not out of the realm of possibility that he gets smashed against Lesnar. Cause, well, he got smashed against Pe De Pano.

But.

If Mir gets a hold of Lesnar, if Mir gets position on Lesnar. There's no way he F-5's his way out of it. It's a completely different mix when there's a guy who's 260 and has position on you - I don't think anyone can muscle that.

F-5 ON THE BIG SHOW, RIKISHI, AND MARK HENRY... NO WAY IS LESNAR LOSING.

Brock rubbing Hulk Hogan's blood on his chest >>>>>>>> Frank Mir breaking Sylvia's arm.

You really have to wonder.

... If Hulk Hogan started in MMA, he'd probably crush everyone. Dude slammed Andre.

BROCK LESNAR SUPERPLEXING BIG SHOW >>>>>>>> HOGAN'S BODYSLAM ON ANDRE

I love the strawman argument here.

You are discounting Brock because he's a pro-wrestler, while at the same time mocking those who think he can win.

The fact is, you *CAN* be a pro-wrestler and have a successful MMA career. Most Pro-Wrestlers try to do both in Japan and fail. But at the same time, are we forgetting that the legendary Kazushi Sakuraba was a pro-wrestler first, MMA fighter second? It can be done with enough time, training, and effort.

Brock has all the credentials in the world to be a great MMA fighter. Discounting, or mocking him and those that think he can win because he was a pro-wrestler is elitist, and quite frankly a little idiotic.