TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

UFC 81: Breaking Point

I'm not trying to diss or mock Brock Lesnar at all. The pro wrestling fanboy side of me wants me to see Brock destroy the living shit out of Frank Mir. I'm just trying to have fun, stop being a killjoy, fag.

I don't think Lesnar becoming a good MMA fighter is impossible he has some legit credentials. It is more the way Dana White promotes Lesnar as if it is foregone conclusion that he is the next big thing in MMA, that kind of irritates me.

On a more frustrating note: I just realized I am attending something on Feb 2nd in which they tickets have already been purchased for and are non-refundable for. So I will be unable to host the show at my house.....sorry to those who usually come out. I will definately be hosting the March PPV though....

And in doing so, would have rocked the foundations of MGM Grand and turned the oasis of Las Vegas back into the desert. But that's alright, cause all the hundreds of thousands of lil Hulkamaniacs, and the tens of ones of Timaine-iacs, could jump up on the largest back in the world and Hulk would travel through the desert for 40 years carrying all those maniacs on his back till they reached water, brother. SO WHATCHA GONNA DO TIM SYLVIA?! WHEN THE LARGEST ARMS IN THE WORLD DESTROY YOOOOUUU!!!?

*Flexes*

*Does backstroke*

"Brock has all the credentials in the world to be a great MMA fighter. Discounting, or mocking him and those that think he can win because he was a pro-wrestler is elitist, and quite frankly a little idiotic."

And seeing "NCAA National HW Champion" as having "all the credentials in the world to be a great MMA fighter" is what?

You really have to wonder.

... If Hulk Hogan started in MMA, he'd probably crush everyone. Dude slammed Andre.

BROCK LESNAR SUPERPLEXING BIG SHOW >>>>>>>> HOGAN'S BODYSLAM ON ANDRE

Yeah, but can they GOGOPLATA A 500 POUND BLACK MAN LIKE THE UNDERTAKER??!!

I think this is smart booking by the UFC.

If Lesnar wins he goes over a former champion. If he loses , well, the guy just started and has one previous MMA fight. Losing to a former champ ain't bad. I assume if he loses he will stick around and fight a total can next.

This is so hard to call. Lesnar is a total question mark and Mir has looked bad against bad competition.

Of all the people to use BJJ based submission moves, they have an undead guy who otherwises chokeslams guys?

I'm not sure how I ever understood pro wrestling logic.

Sure. You could even have a long term growth angle, starting out with him competing at the Music City Grappling Championsips, then NAGA, etc. Kissing ugly babies and shaking dirty hands the whole time.

I have a feeling this card is going to get the most mainstream media attention since 61, so hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

I don't think they are banking on mainstream attention, I'd say by advertising on both TNA and WWE, they are trying to get the wrestling fan. I imagine they've done some research that states a lot of wrestling fans are not buying UFC PPVs and they see that as a prospective market to gain a couple hundred thousand extra buys with Lesnar in the lead role.

ESPN.com, NBCSports.com, Sympatico MSN, Yahoo!Sports.com and FoxSports.com will air the weigh-in for UFC 81 on their Web sites this Friday, according to UFC.com.

I just had a feeling that Brock would bring in the mainstream media and it would appear that is correct.

I'm not an avid MMA fan in anyway but I am interested in ordering this show(because I want to get more into MMA and UFC is very accessible and because I'd like to see the Lesnar fight). Anyway, im assuming everyone else in this thread would be better informed than myself so I was just curious if the rest of this card looks good to you guys? Is it worth buying??

To be quite honest, the vast majority of the matches could be amazing but if Tim Sylvia has a Monson/Vera/Arlovski III fight, then it could very well negate it all. His fights suck that much. However, he is fighting Nog, who tends to bring it even when he shouldn't, so it could be more than Tim trying desperately not to lose by staying behind his reach, it might actually end up being a fight.

Nate Marquardt vs. Jeremy Horn could be good, or it could suck. Marquardt had a terrible, terrible fight against Ivan Salaverry where he was way too tentative and this could be a similar scenario where he feels he needs the win and will pick his spots to earn points rather than go and finish a very durable Horn. I don't think Horn and Dean Lister are too dissimilar, and I enjoyed Nate spitting in Deans food, so if that Nate shows up it could be a good, if not one-sided, fight.

What I am looking forward to the most is the return of Ricardo Almeida, but that's cause I'm a Big Dog mark. I don't know the dude he is facing, and the ring rust will probably be great, but Almeida seemed like such a natural for the sport where he pretty much got no easy fights from the start of his career and seemed to handle it impressively well, and really came into his own during the last half of his career fighting in Japan, that part of me hopes that it's like riding a bike for him and he returns in impressive fashion.

Griffin vs. Tibau is a Tyson Griffin fight, and in 2007 Griffin had 3 show stealing fights that all were candidates for fight of the year. I can't guarantee an exciting fight, but I can't see this being boring. Since this is a swing bout, and since there is a title fight with Tim Sylvia in it (who has gone the full five rounds 3 times so far in the UFC), there is a possibility that this may not be shown, given the way the UFC structures their time.

To be honest, I wouldn't pay 40 bucks to see this. There is a greater chance that it could suck than for it to be really good. Tim Sylvia is truly the black hole of MMA. Why, oh why, couldn't Brandon Vera stomped him so we wouldn't have to go through Tim Sylvia for 5 fucking rounds ever again.

Is the Lesnar fight the main event? If so, does the UFC ppvs go past 10 o'clock?

If you're on the west coast and they start at 7 there then it shouldn't. They usually last 2:30-2:40 of the main card. I also think the title match will be last.

I'd mark out if Lesnar incorporated any of his wrestling moves in the fight, especially the Yamada Legbreaker, but that's just me being the Brock mark.

Hope everything works out for Lesnar, this should be a fun fight since Frank Mir is no pushover.

In the same vein, does anyone read anything into Kurt Angle's heavy involvement in the UFC 81 countdown show? He was all over the Lesnar/Mir buildup.

With the WWE it's a win/win situation. Lesnar wins, they can say that WWE guys can fight for real. If he loses, well, he's not with them any more cause he's a loser. Plus, I imagine there is a deal worked out with Zuffa and the WWE, even if it's just Zuffa paying the WWE to do it, rather than co-promotion.