TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Banter

Speed Racer movie

Matthew Fox? The Wachowski Brothers? I'm wondering how I never heard of this until now.

I was never a fan of the cartoon, but this looks like a fun summer movie.

I thought the race scenes looked like F=Zero...almost identical, really, except for, you know..the wheels.

There's a shot that looks like a hotel lobby where these chicks that are dressed kind of like stewardesses look like they were green screened. It looks unfinished. My guess is things like that and the final look of the races will probably be a lot better.

Looks fun to me. Looks like Speed Racer. I mean, how do you translate Speed Racer? You can't be too serious, but you can't just paste everything into live action copies. So you just push everything to absurdity and hope the emotional core evens it out. I think it might.

I'll never see Emile Hirsch as anything more than a skater kid or a short drug dealing thug....

probably because I haven't seen much of Emile Hirsch...but hey whatever.

Speed Racer was always crap, so it's no surprise that the movie looks like garbage. The old cartoon was badly animated with generic plots and had the absolute fucking dirt worst dubbed dialogue and voice acting that has ever been spoken in the history of the English language. The only positive it had going was that, unlike American cartoons, people actually got killed.

Speed Racer was always crap, so it's no surprise that the movie looks like garbage. The old cartoon was badly animated with generic plots and had the absolute fucking dirt worst dubbed dialogue and voice acting that has ever been spoken in the history of the English language. The only positive it had going was that, unlike American cartoons, people actually got killed.

That's my sentiment. I don't like crappy movies based on TV shows but I hate people who complain about movies based on TV shows that weren't that good to begin (Charlie's Angels, Dukes of Hazzard) with almost as much.

If you look at all the shows that have paid homage to Speed Racer, you realize that it was campy as all hell. Long winded monologues of exposition, the same freakout animation whenever Speed lost control of his car, and a friggin' monkey; how do you not make a movie that doesn't have a cheesy feel to it and in the same spirit of the show?

I'm gonna go against the grain. It's perfect Speed Racer. Like someone said, how do you translate something like that while keeping the old feel? This is what Speed Racer always was and it's way too silly of a concept to play realistically. This will bomb huge, though.