TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Kamala

Terribly inaccurate wrestling predictions you made

As a 14 year old mark, I was sure Cactus Jack was going to win the title at RR2000.

And as a 14 year old mark, I was SURE that Cactus jack would win the HIAC at No Way Out 2000 thus not retiring.

And as a 14 year old mark, I was SUUURRRRREEEE that Mick Foley would win the Fatal Four Way at WM2000 thus setting up a tournament for the title with the Rock winning at Backlash.

Owen Hart will be a major player in 1988 and beyond.

The British Bulldog will be a major player in 1999 and beyond.

Harry Smith will be a major player in 2006 and beyond.

Hurricane will end up facing a super-villain style heel. (Possibly Nova)

When Helms first became The Hurricane, he was kind of a super villain. Granted, he was a goofy super villain and most everybody cheered him when I saw him team up with Hugh Morrus against Scotty 2 Hotty and Albert in a Alliance Vs WWF match at a house show but he was technically a supervillain since he was with the evil, EVIL Alliance.

I thought Jericho would wind up main eventing WrestleMania 2000 in the four-way instead of Foley.

I thought Jericho would win KOTR.

I thought Jericho would face The Rock at SummerSlam 2000 and possibly win the title.

I thought Jericho was the one who ran over Stone Cold.

I thought wrong.

I thought Lance Storm would get a main event push in WCW with Bret Hart as the commissioner who would rule all his matches as "Canadian Rules" and let him cheat as much as possible. I also believed Bret and Carl Ouellette would join Storm's Team Canada stable.

And I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I expected RVD to win the ECW and WWE Titles a lot sooner.

ouellete did join Storms team, Storm even "gave" him the hardcore title, but he was gone within a week or 2

I thought Vader was a shoo-in to win the 1996 Royal Rumble.

I thought Austin was going over HHH at No Mercy 99 for the title (unaware Austin was injured at that point).

As a 12 year old mark, I was sure Cactus Jack was going to win the title at RR2000.

And as a 12 year old mark, I was SURE that Cactus jack would win the HIAC at No Way Out 2000 thus not retiring. And I was there when he lost. And I wanted to cry.

And as a 12 year old mark, I was..ehh, not so much this one.

Here's one that I remembered based on JHawk bringing up Vader and 1996:

I was CERTAIN that Jake Roberts was going to become the 1996 King of the Ring, but if not him, it would be Vader.

I thought Jericho would wind up main eventing WrestleMania 2000 in the four-way instead of Foley.

I thought Jericho would win KOTR.

I thought Jericho would face The Rock at SummerSlam 2000 and possibly win the title.

I thought Jericho was the one who ran over Stone Cold.

I thought wrong.

I thought Lance Storm would get a main event push in WCW with Bret Hart as the commissioner who would rule all his matches as "Canadian Rules" and let him cheat as much as possible. I also believed Bret and Carl Ouellette would join Storm's Team Canada stable.

And I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I expected RVD to win the ECW and WWE Titles a lot sooner.

ouellete did join Storms team, Storm even "gave" him the hardcore title, but he was gone within a week or 2

I meant that I thought he would return.

I was CERTAIN that Jake Roberts was going to become the 1996 King of the Ring, but if not him, it would be Vader.

I figured it would be pretty much exactly the same as it ended up being in real life except with Vader in the Austin role and Mero playing Roberts.

Going back a year earlier I thought Shawn Michaels was a lock to win the tournament since the rest of the field was a bunch of jobbers and the Undertaker (who had an issue with the Corporation that would probably prevent him from winning). I never dreamed that they would go with one of the jobbers to win. I knew we were in trouble when Savio Vega beat a washed-up Yokozuna (who was still better than most of the field) in the first match.

Here's one that I remembered based on JHawk bringing up Vader and 1996:

I was certain Vader was going to be an unstoppable killing machine in the WWE.

I thought the WWA had the best shot at becoming the WWF/E's first competitor after WCW's death. I thought TNA had no shot at lasting with their newfangled weekly PPVs. Boy was I wrong. Now barely anybody but me remembers WWA!

Surely Booker T will beat Triple H at WM 19?

Surely Jericho will beat Shawn Michaels at WM 19?

I was there and watching the matches I was sure of both these outcomes. I was wrong.

And pissed.

As a 12 year old mark, I was sure Cactus Jack was going to win the title at RR2000.

And as a 12 year old mark, I was SURE that Cactus jack would win the HIAC at No Way Out 2000 thus not retiring. And I was there when he lost. And I wanted to cry.

And as a 12 year old mark, I was..ehh, not so much this one.

TBH, I didn't see the point of putting him into the match if he wasn't going to win. I can look back now and see why, but not at the time.

I thought Ric Flair would win the 1993 Royal Rumble, run Mr. Perfect out of the WWF, and put Bret Hart over at WrestleMania IX.

I also thought they'd actually blow off the Money Inc.-Nasty Boys feud.

I was never more positive in my life that Owen Hart would win the WWF Title from Bret Hart at SummerSlam 1994 and that Booker T would beat HHH at WM19.

I'm still pissed HHH beat Booker at WM19 because the booking required Booker winning it. "People like you don't become World Champion."

Bah

Lex Luger would be Hall and Nash's third man.

In fairness though, I think about 75% of the people watching WCW at the time had that as the most likely option.

Lex Luger would be Hall and Nash's third man.

In fairness though, I think about 75% of the people watching WCW at the time had that as the most likely option.

Luger was my guess as well. They also teased us when Luger got knocked out of action and had to be taken to the back for medical treatment.

I'm still pissed HHH beat Booker at WM19 because the booking required Booker winning it. "People like you don't become World Champion."

Bah

Yeah. That was pretty depressing.

I remember thinking that, for some reason, Thunder would solidify WCW as the top dog in the wrestling industry. Really, it helped to water down their product and encourage wrestling fans to look elsewhere for something fresh.

Well, these are varied and just in the order they come to be, not chronological.

- Hogan would slam Yokozuna at KOTR '93 and retain the title

- Hogan would somehow win the title at WMX8 (well, and every Wrestlemania since!)

- Shawn Michaels would be the mystery entrant in the title tournament at Survivor Series '98, only for it to be Duane Gill

- Bret Hart would not be able to make the step up to main event level

- As above for Shawn Michaels

- Undertaker would never return to the title picture after his initial success

- The Montreal Screwjob would be revealed as a work 10 years after the event

- Wrestling would collapse after Hogan left the F in 1992

- We would get to see an exploding barbed wire ring match in the F involving Foley and probably Funk

I'll think of more...

I thought latter day WCW Saturday Night mainstays "Hardwork" Bobby Walker and Kid Romeo would get bumped up to Nitro and Thunder and get sizable pushes. Romeo did have a nice, short run teaming up with Elix Skipper but they formed about a month or two before WCW closed so we all know how that turned out. IIRC, Bobby Walker was one of the guys, who along with Sonny Onoo sued WCW for racial discrimination.

Unfortunatley, I was right with my prediction that "Tarzan" Chuck Palumbo would get pushed up to the A shows and recieve a push.

I thought Butcher would beat Hogan at Starrcade 1994 since I knew they were buddies.

While somewhat on the subject, as much as most smarks hated it or didn't give a shit, I loved the Butcher heel turn at Halloween Havoc 94 and the beatdown at the Clash a month later. Good stuff. Of course, I may be a bit biased since my family got cable around that time and it was the 1st major angle I could take in on TBS.

I thought Butcher would beat Hogan at Starrcade 1994 since I knew they were buddies.

While somewhat on the subject, as much as most smarks hated it or didn't give a shit, I loved the Butcher heel turn at Halloween Havoc 94 and the beatdown at the Clash a month later. Good stuff. Of course, I may be a bit biased since my family got cable around that time and it was the 1st major angle I could take in on TBS.

I would have much, much rather seen that angle in the WWF. It was build around their "history" of which they avoided to go into detail because it all revolved around their time together in a rival company. And Ed Leslie had no business appearing on a Starrcade card, much less the main event.