TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Kamala

Terribly inaccurate wrestling predictions you made

Title Mania:

Goldust will dethrone Jericho to once again become IC champion in 2002.

Booker T and Goldust will have a great tag title run, delighting the fans.

Now that the IC title is back, The Hurricane's career would take off in 2003 after he capitalized with an IC title run.

People will still love Eugene, especially after his career takes off in the 2004 with an IC title run.

Batista will hit his career high in 2005 with an IC title run, MAYBE going further much later.

Chris Masters and Carlito will co-exist and have a run as world tag team champions following Mania 22.

People are tired of John Cena and HHH is taking back his title at Mania 22.

Carlito will capitalize on his new found facedom in 2006 by having a successful IC title run.

Shawn Michaels will hold the world title again in 2004/2007 (Winning the belt at the Royal Rumble (setting up a Benoit/Michaels singles main event for Mania XX) / WrestleMania 23 / Backlash 07 / Summer of 07 before he left with injury).

Every time a title was defended on a WWF weekend morning show, I predicted a new champion. Here's a shortlist:

- Tugboat over Mr Perfect to win the IC Title

- Virgil over Bret Hart to win the WWF Title

- Orient Express over Hart Foundation to win the Tag Titles

- Money Inc over Natural Disasters to win the Tag Titles (well, this actually happened, go figure)

My logic at the time: Why would the WWF give Virgil (or any challenger) a title shot if they didn't have something special planned for him? I mean if Virgil wins the WWF Championship, he'll be a HUGE star. Obviously, it's Virgil so his reign would most likely be short so whoever beats him, will also be a HUGE star, ect.

As soon as John Cena turned rapper in late 2002, I didn't think he was going to amount to anything with such a lame gimmick, especially with Bull Buchanan.

First one that comes to mind was that Sunny was going to turn on LOD and join DX in the Spring of 1998. As an off shoot Chyna would turn face and manage LOD

Looking back that was pretty stupid as Tammy was out of the company by June or so.

Plus Hunter would have never allowed that to happen.

Owen was so beating Bret at Summerslam 94.

IIRC, I thought Crush was going to win the world title around 1994 or so.

Guest TheFabulousJakey

Billy and Chuck were gonna last.

Trish Stratus winning the reinstated WWE Women's Title at Surv Series '01 meant that they really weren't serious about the division after all, and it was gonna go back to being all about the T & A (no pun intended).

1999-2007: "Jake the Snake kicks it this year..."

I give up in '08. That man will not be killed by any conventional means.

I really thought (in 1999) that by 2003, ECW would be the #1 promotion.

I thought Foley was going to win at WM 2000 and set up a one-month tournament for the WWF Title, culminating in HHH/Rock at Backlash (which, realistically, could have happened).

I thought TNA would be the #1 promotion by 2006 (I thought this during their first year, when the shows were compelling enough and the wrestling was great).

I thought Raven was going to beat Goldberg the Nitro after Spring Stampede '98 to retain the US Heavyweight title he just won off DDP the night before.

Every time a title was defended on a WWF weekend morning show, I predicted a new champion. Here's a shortlist:

- Tugboat over Mr Perfect to win the IC Title

- Virgil over Bret Hart to win the WWF Title

- Orient Express over Hart Foundation to win the Tag Titles

- Money Inc over Natural Disasters to win the Tag Titles (well, this actually happened, go figure)

My logic at the time: Why would the WWF give Virgil (or any challenger) a title shot if they didn't have something special planned for him? I mean if Virgil wins the WWF Championship, he'll be a HUGE star. Obviously, it's Virgil so his reign would most likely be short so whoever beats him, will also be a HUGE star, ect.

In fairness, I assumed the same thing, mostly because the WWF never gave away title matches on free TV, particularly in the 80s. The key though was when Challenge and Superstars advertised the same title match. If the match was advertised for Superstars only, I gave the champion even odds to retain (and he usually did).

Guest CorporateMankind

As a kid growing up watching Florida Wrestling with Grodon Solie , I was always fascinated by demonic reign of Kevin Sullivan. I remember always predicting that someday he'll unleash the fireballs & golden spikes on the superstars of the WWF.

Boy was I wrong! :angry:

Bret Hart would lead the InVasion!

Ok, now so actual predictions I made (back when I was markish)

Kane was going to be revealed as the Fake Undertaker

Test was going to be an IC champ by 2000.

D'Lo having a main event run.

I don't know why anyone thought Owen would beat Bret at SS 94. I gave him zero shot in that match, since there was no way Bret would lose to him again after WM X.

Here's a fun inaccurate thought I had, though I wouldn't say it was an outright prediction:

I thought Test was winning the world title at Survivor Series 1999, once it was announced that Austin was injured due to the limo angle. In fact Test actually made more sense being in the match than The Big Show.

Check me off as one of those guys who thought D Lo Brown would get a bigger push than he did. Maybe not main event but I definitely thought he'd be an upper mid-card guy who made an occasional appearence in the main event.

I also thought Rikishi would be a World Champ within a year or two after he fought Triple H in a competitive (and damn good) match on an episode of Smackdown! Boy that heel turn killed whatever momentum his career had, even if it did get him into the main events for a bit.

I remember hearing talk that Owen WAS going to beat Bret then they would do a WM IX repeat of Owen making an open challenge and Sid (!) beating him. I have no idea how half of the stuff I heard in the early 90s (via the Detroit News and "free" (long distance) hotlines associated with it) even started but it sounded like some of it was from the Torch.

If reruns of Impact aren't on 24/7 by the end of 2009, I'll have to add that to this thread in what would end up being some hugely unnecessary Vanhalen like thread bump. Of course, from what I gather, they can book 2008 to be 3 times as bad as 2007 and still get their Panda money.

You and your silly predictions!

I predicted back in 1994 that Bret and Owen would reunite after Wrestlemania, and guess what?! IT HAPPENED!!!!!!

Took a couple of years, but still...I CALLED IT!!!!

Thought for sure Foley would return as Dude Love in some capacity after No Way Out 2000.

Booker would form a new Court on Raw with the likes of Shelton and Haas and challenge Cena one on one before the end of the year.

Evolution would get involved in a War Games style match against the Raw babyfaces in either 2003 or 2004.

Hurricane will end up facing a super-villain style heel. (Possibly Nova)

Cena would turn heel in late 2006/early 2007.

Kane's rampage in 2003 leads to him becoming World Heavyweight Champion.

Guest korndogg123
I was a 10-year-old mark when I said it, but I once said Aldo Montoya and Duke Droese were going to beat Jeff Jarrett in consecutive weeks on Superstars to win the IC title.

When I was a kid I used to use G.I. Joe figurines as wrestlers and book my own cards. I once had Aldo Montoya beat Jarrett for the title and have Jarrett injure him after the match, forcing him to vacate the title. Then I had Droese win the tournament to crown the new champion.

I thought Foley and Booker T were going to go over Triple H at RR2000 and WM19 respectively. Oh, how stupid I am.

Then when I was using my figurines to play the real life cards, I made Cactus Jack beat Triple H at RR. Three years later when I started reading the insider news online I became a little bit smarter and had Trips win at WM, but by interference from Scott Steiner turning heel.

Surely the crowd will turn on Austin now he's Stunnered Stacy for no good reason?

Surely Booker T will beat Triple H at WM 19?

Surely Jericho will beat Shawn Michaels at WM 19?

Surely TNA will realise how utterly, thoroughly sick their fans are of Jeff Jarrett?

Surely it's impossible to fuck up a Samoa Joe main event push? All you have to do is put him in the ring and let him hit people, and greatness ensues.

-Low Ki isn't losing the ROH title to Xavier. I mean come on it's XAVIER. He lost to Scoot Andrews for Christ's sake.

-Austin Aries is not beating Samoa Joe for the ROH title. Aries isn't even the leader of Generation Next.

-The Spirit Squad were going to comeback with a gimmick similar to Generation Next, with Doane in the role of Aries and Jeter in the role of Shelley.

I've mentioned this recently, but during Rumble '91 I thought Shane Douglas was winning it and would be elevated by it.

I also thought Test would be put in the WWF Title match/win the belt at the Survivor Series in 1999.

In all truth, Test coming out during the Six-Pack Challenge to beat HHH and win the championship would have been the most sensical booking of '99. In hindsight, 'tis a good thing it didn't happen.

Kurt Angle would never be a big star.

Christian would be WWE Champion.

Batista would be gone fired after Evolution splits up.

John Cena would be forgotten in a few months.

1-2-3 Kid was the future of the WWF.

Jake Roberts as the Higher Power would've made for some of the most compelling Raws of all time.

I also wish Jake would've shown up as part of the Raven-DDP feud as was teased.

I thought Jericho would wind up main eventing WrestleMania 2000 in the four-way instead of Foley.

I thought Jericho would win KOTR.

I thought Jericho would face The Rock at SummerSlam 2000 and possibly win the title.

I thought Jericho was the one who ran over Stone Cold.

I thought wrong.

I thought Lance Storm would get a main event push in WCW with Bret Hart as the commissioner who would rule all his matches as "Canadian Rules" and let him cheat as much as possible. I also believed Bret and Carl Ouellette would join Storm's Team Canada stable.

And I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I expected RVD to win the ECW and WWE Titles a lot sooner.

During his evolution days, I remember calling Batista a guy who would never be nothing more then an enforcer/ part of a tag team. Fuck, I wish I was right.

Guest CorporateMankind
1999-2007: "Jake the Snake kicks it this year..."

I give up in '08. That man will not be killed by any conventional means.

Don't you realize that Jake sold his soul to the devil , years ago? That man will seriously outlive us all!

Our kids will be watching Jake Roberts wrestle!