TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

NFL Offseason Thread

NFL.com reporting Hester gets his extension:

Hester, Bears agree on four-year extension

Associated Press

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. -- Kick returner Devin Hester has signed a new four-year contract with the Chicago Bears.

Devin Hester, KR/WR

Chicago Bears

2007 statistics:

Receptions: 20

Yards: 299

Touchdowns: 2

The team announced the deal Sunday. Hester skipped the first two days of training camp because he wanted to renegotiate his contract, which had two years left. Hester returned to camp Friday, saying there was progress in the negotiations.

He said he skipped practices to make a statement that he was serious about a new deal.

Hester's previous contract was for $445,000 for the 2008 season.

The terms of the new deal have not yet been announced. Hester is scheduled to speak to the media Sunday afternoon.

I heard someone on either ESPN or NBC say that Hester's deal was worth at LEAST $30 million and that $15 million is guaranteed. I guess the Bears think that having a quality QB is a luxury and not a necessity.

I heard someone on either ESPN or NBC say that Hester's deal was worth at LEAST $30 million and that $15 million is guaranteed. I guess the Bears think that having a quality QB is a luxury and not a necessity.

I think it's more that they realize having one of the best returners in history ALREADY in his only third season and that scores half the team's touchdowns in that span, is the luxury that they can't let get unhappy. What would you have the Bears do about the quarterback situation? None of the quarterbacks in the draft really impressed people in Chicago. What good free agent QBs are out there? What good quarterbacks are available in trade (meaning, no Favre)? They are screwed either way. Just keep the guy who's doing something for your team happy and worry about QB when better options come along.

Packers RB Ryan Grant is holding out.

I don't say this often but he deserves a better contract. He's a starting back, not a practice squad guy anymore.

The Bears can't score points and spent a whole lot of money keeping the defense intact and just put about $4 million a year guaranteed on a kick returner. You need money to be able to pay guys when they come along and if the Bears keep spending it on one side of the ball they'll never have a competent offense. Basically they'll be the Ravens.

Guest The Elements of Style

hm..heh..I dont think so..heh.

Yeah, I don't expect the Bears to be very good. I'm not sure why Angelo can't scout and draft offensive talent, but he's able to get away with it because nobody holds the Bears accountable for putting together a real offense. Oh well. Maybe they'll win ten games with a smoke-and-mirrors offense of Kyle Orton and Garrett Wolfe.

I find it hard to believe that out of Joe Flacco (who did end up getting picked earlier than expected but still...), Chad Henne, and Brian Brohm, the Bears weren't impressed with at least one of them. They could've got a QB in the 2nd round and picked up a good RB with their next pick. Next year's QB class doesn't look all that impressive IMO.

hm..heh..I dont think so..heh.

Yeah, I don't expect the Bears to be very good. I'm not sure why Angelo can't scout and draft offensive talent, but he's able to get away with it because nobody holds the Bears accountable for putting together a real offense. Oh well. Maybe they'll win ten games with a smoke-and-mirrors offense of Kyle Orton and Garrett Wolfe.

Maybe that's the whole plan. Build a three-and-out-inducing defense, hire really good punt rushers for both sides of the rush to try to force straight punts, and let Hester return you to a bunch of 14-10, 10-7 wins.

Guest Vitamin X
Packers RB Ryan Grant is holding out.

I don't say this often but he deserves a better contract. He's a starting back, not a practice squad guy anymore.

I totally agree. It's really stupid that they haven't been able to work something out with Grant this late in the process. The last thing we need is a training camp holdout by the only proven running back the Packers have- especially when going into the season with an unproven quarterback.

At least Favre didn't show up to camp, either.

Has there been any talk about the numbers Grant is looking for? It could be a situation like Westbrook's, where by all accounts the team wants to do something for him, but Westbrook seems to be negotiating like he is a UFA and not a guy with 3 years still left on his deal.

Guest Vitamin X

I haven't heard about what Grant was looking for, all I know is that he IS a RFA unlike Westbrook, and so he has the right to do this, but he hasn't signed and by all accounts, the Packers' front office just pissed him off outright.

Link

Agent: Grant 'livid' about Packers' contract offer

By Jason Wilde / Wisconsin State Journal

GREEN BAY — Not only is Ryan Grant not reporting to camp for today's first practice, the Green Bay Packers' unsigned starting running back is ''livid,'' over the club's initial contract offer, his agent said.

''It's a joke. It's an absolute joke,'' agent Alan Herman said Sunday night, roughly 24 hours after receiving what he said was an offer from Packers negotiator Russ Ball of a six-year deal that included just $1.75 million in guaranteed money. ''It's insulting. I don't believe it.

''Ryan's feelings about the Green Bay Packers at this point are not very good. He is livid. He is very angry.''

Midway through last season, Grant brought the Packers' going-nowhere running game to life, rushing for 956 yards in the second half of the season before adding a 201-yard effort against Seattle in the NFC divisional playoffs.

Herman said Grant's frustration comes from knowing that linebacker Brady Poppinga received a $3 million signing bonus as part of his extension last week - even though Poppinga might not keep his starting job in camp after the signing of Brandon Chillar.

The Packers' offer to Grant also pales in comparison to the four-year, $40 million extension the Chicago Bears gave return man Devin Hester, who like Grant was two years away from unrestricted free agency.

Herman said Hester received $10 million in guaranteed money even though he's yet to prove himself as a receiver.

According to Herman, Grant's 2008 pay in signing bonus and salary would be just more than $2 million. While Herman wouldn't say what he was seeking, he was believed to be asking for a signing bonus in the $5 million range, with Grant's raises tied to performance-based incentive clauses.

''After 5 1/2 months of asking to negotiate with these guys, I finally got a formal proposal at 5 o'clock. The frustration of dealing with these guys is, with all their rhetoric about how they take care of their own, the guy proved himself. And this is what you're offering?'' Herman said. ''I said to Russ, 'You've got to be kidding me. This is such a ridiculous proposal, we have nothing to talk about.' ''

Asked if he would request a trade in light of the Packers' offer, Herman said, ''I'm going to do nothing right now. Ryan is clearly not coming (to camp). If (the Packers) get past the point of unfairness, if they want to bargain in good faith, then we'll do that. But this is an abusive position the team has decided to take.

''There's nothing to talk about. I have nothing to say to them at this point. The proposal is that absurd - the day before the first practice training camp. In 24 years of me being an agent, I've never seen anything like it. There's nothing to negotiate.''

Meanwhile, the Packers announced the signings of wide receiver Jordy Nelson, quarterback Brian Brohm and cornerback Pat Lee, meaning all nine draft picks will be at practice this morning.

You know, the most important thing- especially since Favre is definitely not coming back to the team- is to throw whatever cash Grant is demanding at him and get him into camp NOW. This team is such a mess right now, I can only hope the Favre and Grant messes get straightened out before the first preseason game at the most.

If that article is accurate (given that it is all from the agent, there has to be a grain of salt aspect to it) or even halfway accurate, that is pretty terrible. It certainly doesn't look like they are taking the Westbrook stance of wanting to be treated like a UFA.

Has the front office completely forgotten how awful the running game was at the start of last season? Fucking dumb.

Guest Vitamin X
I can't see this happening, but apparently Rush Limbaugh is interested in buying the Rams.

Link

Jesus, I'd hate to be a black player on that team.

Herman said Hester received $10 million in guaranteed money even though he's yet to prove himself as a receiver.

I do think Ryan Grant deserves better, but let's not compare the two. Hester has had TWO seasons in which he proved his worth as a returner. He did not get the contract extension for his receiving. He got it for his feet.

If I were the Packers, I'd tell Grant to just STFU and earn the contract first.

Argument: "He had a great season!"

Guess what this guy did in games 1-5? 6 Carries!

From Week 6 - 16 (11 games): 176 carries for 872 yards.

Week 17: 6 carries for 57 yards.

So he essentially played well for 11 games... and topped 100 yards in only 5 of those. Hell, he only had 6 games where he topped more than 18 carries.

Brandon Jackson had a pretty good Week 17 against an out of it Detroit team (20 for 113).

Argument: "He blew up against Seattle!!!!"

Yeah? 13 carries for 29 yards against the New York Giants in the NFC Championship.

He basically put up similar numbers to Laurence Maroney... while being 25 years old and already whining about a contract.

The agent sounds like a moron if he could only get Grant a contract with $10,280 in bonus money for 2007 ($310,000 base salary). DeShawn Wynn was making almost $51,000 in bonus money and Vernand Morency was making almost $573,000 in bonus money. Some guy named Ryan Powdrell was making $285,000 base with a $15,000 bonus.

The entire Ryan Grant situation is so weird to me. I'd have to see more before giving him a big contract though.

I have no idea how he did what he did last season because the guy was absolutely TERRIBLE at Notre Dame.

Guest Vitamin X

A lot of players that are great in college do terrible in the pros as well. The two games are very different from one another; Ryan Grant was just able to do a great job of picking up the zone-blocking scheme the Packers run and has great vision. You're not going to see the same level of talent on the offensive line at Notre Dame as you would at any team in the pros, for one, and for another thing, the system may not just fit Ryan Grant as well on another team. He was on, like, the New York Giants' practice squad when he got traded to Green Bay, and he had the same role in Green Bay before injuries and ineptitude in the running game forced them to move Grant to the active roster, then starting.

What would have me leery is that Grant could be a one time wonder who was completely off the radar and only started due to injuries.

Here are the final end of year rankings of his opponents in Run D (Yards)

Denver: 30

Kansas City: 28

Minnesota: 1 (Ran for 119 Yards on 25 Carries) Would've needed at least 21 carries to break 100 yards.

Carolina: 18

Detroit: 23

Dallas: 6 (Ran for 94 yards on 14 carries)

Oakland: 31

St. Louis: 20 (Only ran for 55 Yards)

Chicago: 24

Seattle: 12

Wow... I didn't realize just how easy his schedule had been. Only 3 teams inside the Top 18(!) He also played against 3 of the last 5 teams in the NFL in rushing yards allowed.

Brandon Jackson/DeShawn Wynn/Vernand Morency

Week 1: Philadelphia (7)

Week 2: New York Giants (8)

Week 3: San Diego (16)

Week 4: Minnesota (1)

Week 5: Chicago (24) DeShawn Wynn had 13 carries for 78 yards and Vernand Morency had 9 carries for 43 yards (22 for 121)

Week 6: Washington (4)

Jeff Garcia carted off the practice field today

From a Bucs Blog

Quarterback Jeff Garcia was injured Thursday during a non-contact passing drill. The extent of his right leg injury is unknown.

Garcia seemed to be in some discomfort after rolling out and throwing a pass during a non-contact receiving drill.

He was carted off the field and limped precariously to the locker room.

Guest Vitamin X

Ha, I wonder how interested the Bucs are interested in getting Favre now.