• Eli Manning
    • Plaxico Burress
    • Laurence Maroney
    • Brandon Jacobs
    • Other
    • A Patriots defensive player
    • A Giants defensive player

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Well, here's the thread for the game itself, the commercials, and the two weeks of bullshit that leads up to it.

I'd like to use this space to express my love for Eli Manning. My mocking of him has turned into genuine love over this past month or so.

Looks like the Pats are 14-point favorites.

With the Pats inability to cover their 2 touchdown spreads over the second half of the season and into the playoffs and the Giants playing them so close in week 17 that should surely come down to around 10 points give or take

How the fuck are the Pats 14-point favorites when they only beat an injury-ridden Chargers team by 9 and almost lost to the Giants already?

If I were a betting man, I'd put money on the Giants to cover unless it drops tremendously between now and then.

Realistically, it's amazing how many drama queens there are on this board.

You all know you're going to watch the damn game so quit making up shit that you're going to instead.

And if you're not going to watch the Super Bowl, do you honestly think that anybody gives a fuck what you're going to do instead? If you all want to talk about that sort of thing - start a thread about it in General Chat - but make sure you include your addresses so you can all exchange tampons ahead of time.

Well, without Farve in the Super Bowl, I can now root for the Patriots. Yes, some of the Pats fans are beyond irritating (Star Ocean-esque, really), but I have the one reason anyone who isn't from Boston to root for the Pats:

To shut Mercury Morris the fuck up. Jesus Christ, that guy is the most annoying guy I've ever had to listen to. Watching the Pats take away his claim to fame with an even more impressive undefeated season and to allow the '72 Dolphins to sink back into obscurity instead of having them be a seasonal fixture with their champagne and jackassery.

So yeah. Go Pats go.

*Goes back to watching Hockey*

How the fuck are the Pats 14-point favorites when they only beat an injury-ridden Chargers team by 9 and almost lost to the Giants already?

If I were a betting man, I'd put money on the Giants to cover unless it drops tremendously between now and then.

I'm sure the betting lines are high to make a lot of people second-guess picking the Pats, which is why they were being given the highest lines in history toward the end of the season. It's about balance.

I know that the Giants played the Patriots tough on the last game of the season, but isn't this seriously one of the biggest mismatches on paper ever in a Super Bowl?

New England (16-0) +315 vs.

New York Giants (10-6) +22

If the Giants actually somehow win this game it's got to be the biggest upset in the history of sports. Can you imagine Eli making Peyton eat crow if he was the one to take down the undefeated Pats?

Shit, I forgot NY was 10-6, I kept thinking they were 11-5 for some reason

This makes them only the third team with 6+ losses to make the SB (joining the '79 Rams and '88 49ers)

Incidentally, those two teams had very well played Super Bowls, with the '88 49ers having that memorable game-ending drive, and the '79 Rams keeping the 3-time SB champion Steelers on the ropes before finally succumbing in the 4th quarter, so this game could be more competitive than people think

Thing is though, wasn't Montana hurt quite a bit in 1988? And given that they were unstoppable in 1989 I wouldn't consider that Niners team one of the weakest SB teams. I guess maybe they are in terms of 1 year.

I think the 2003 Panthers are also one of the weakest Super Bowl teams ever. They were 11-5 and had a +21 differential. That's basically a 9-7 team that lucked out a few times. People don't think about that team as being lame though since they damn near won the Super Bowl.

Get this. I took a look on pro-football-reference.com and the Giants this year had an expected win/loss of 8.6-7.4. That's pretty horrid for a Super Bowl team. The Patriots oddly enough were 13.8-2.2.

My retarded pick that would make the universe implode

New York 38

New England 35

Eli Manning wins the Super Bowl MVP by executing a game winning TD drive in the final 2 minutes.

My real pick

New England 31

New York 21 (a late TD covers the spread and hits the over)

Tom Brady wins his 3rd Super Bowl MVP and 4th ring.

Emmitt also thinks there's a possibility that if the Pats beat the Giants they'll win the Super Bowl.

If the Giants actually somehow win this game it's got to be the biggest upset in the history of sports. Can you imagine Eli making Peyton eat crow if he was the one to take down the undefeated Pats?

The 1980 U.S. Olympic Hockey Team says hello.

18-0 or not, the Pats are not the great team people think they are. Strugglling against an injured Chargers team confirms that.

The 1980 U.S. Olympic Hockey Team says hello.

18-0 or not, the Pats are not the great team people think they are. Strugglling against an injured Chargers team confirms that.

The bigger upset would have been if San Diego defeated the Pats.

Brady had a bad game, but the Pats redzone Defense kept them in control.

G-Men, themselves, looked pretty sloppy, fumbling the ball left and right and a field goal kicker missing two times before finally getting it right.

I think the difference is Eli. He's been outstanding the last 4 1/2 weeks... after halftime of the Buffalo game until now.

And in the playoffs you can make a case that he's been the most impressive QB.

The 85 bears aren't the great people team think of because they lost to the Dolphins.

Seriously, the Pats are a great team. They've won EVERY game this season. Emitt said that if they beat the Giants in two weeks they might possibly even win all of thier games.

I think the Giants have a good chance of winning the Super Bowl. Following underdogs has worked well for me over the playoffs.

I just hope Eli doesn't blow it, or Peyton does something stupid like turning up.