TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

WWE Permanently Cuts Ties with OVW

I think this deserves it's own thread.

WWE® To Cease Affiliation With Ohio Valley Wrestling

February 7, 2008 World Wrestling Entertainment® announced today that Ohio Valley Wrestling (OVW) will no longer be affiliated with World Wrestling Entertainment as an official developmental territory, making Florida Championship Wrestling™ (FCW™) WWE's official development training facility for talent around the globe.

"Ohio Valley Wrestling has been a tremendous partner with World Wrestling Entertainment through the years, and we thank them for their work in developing many of today's WWE Superstars," said John Laurinaitis, Senior Vice President of Talent Relations. "We look forward to Florida Championship Wrestling playing host to the next generation of WWE Superstars recruited from around the world."

Last November, WWE announced the formation of Florida Championship Wrestling, a new training center for future WWE Superstars. The facility has four wrestling rings and approximately 35 contracted athletes, with plans to increase that number to more than 70 in the near future. The facility is now fully operational, as WWE undertook large-scale renovations to FCW in order to accommodate its training needs. The finished training facility is more than 10,000 square feet, including an arena that will seat nearly 300 fans. The new training facility will also host a weekly show in front of a live audience, to be broadcast for regional television.

FCW is owned and operated by Steve Keirn, a former professional wrestler and producer for WWE. WWE trainer Tom Prichard oversees all talent training at the facility.

Additional information on World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: WWE) can be found at wwe.com and corporate.wwe.com. For information on our global activities, go to http://www.wwe.com/worldwide/ -30-

Media Contact: Gary Davis, 203-353-5066

Investor Contact: Michael Weitz, 203-352-8642

Trademarks: All WWE programming, talent names, images, likenesses, slogans, wrestling moves, and logos are the exclusive property of World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. ECW is a trademark of WWE Libraries, Inc. All other trademarks, logos and copyrights are the property of their respective owners.

Forward-Looking Statements: This news release contains forward-looking statements pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, which are subject to various risks and uncertainties. These risks and uncertainties include the conditions of the markets for live events, broadcast television, cable television, pay-per-view, Internet, feature films, entertainment, professional sports, and licensed merchandise; acceptance of the Company's brands, media and merchandise within those markets; uncertainties relating to litigation; risks associated with producing live events both domestically and internationally; uncertainties associated with international markets; risks relating to maintaining and renewing key agreements, including television distribution agreements; and other risks and factors set forth from time to time in Company filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Actual results could differ materially from those currently expected or anticipated. In addition to these risks and uncertainties, our dividend is based on a number of factors, including our liquidity and historical and projected cash flow, strategic plan, our financial results and condition, contractual and legal restrictions on the payment of dividends and such other factors as our board of directors may consider relevant.

Trademarks: All WWE programming, talent names, images, likenesses, slogans, wrestling moves, and logos are the exclusive property of World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc.

Wrestling moves?

They own names like Stone Cold Stunner and Pedigree.

But I wouldn't put it pass them to claim they own the piledriver.

Yeah, it's been in their copyright notice since at least 2004, maybe 2003. Someone asked about it way back then and it was assumed it referred to the names.

Yeah, I would assume it would be the names of the moves. All the same, it would be pretty weird if the WWE owned the rights for a punch and a kick.

i lol'd at the comment about the punch and kick...

it almost seems like WWE is becoming more of a monopoly than they already are with the whole... moves thing.

at least we have tenay to call the closeline a lariat.

Oh, the names of wreslting moves. That makes more sense.

I believe they owned/own "Angle Slam"

which is why he changed it back to Olympic Slam(Which I still called it anyways)

when he went to TNA. I don't know if the copyright ran out and they changed it

back though..

Oh, the names of wreslting moves. That makes more sense.

I believe they owned/own "Angle Slam"

which is why he changed it back to Olympic Slam(Which I still called it anyways)

when he went to TNA. I don't know if the copyright ran out and they changed it

back though..

Probably putting too much thought into this but speaking of Angle Slam, I have a question about the name of the move. I seem to remember it being changed from Olympic Slam to Angle Slam, because WWE was coming under fire from the Olympics. (?) Does the Olympic Committee not really care about TNA enough to create a fuss over it, or did WWE simply change it to Angle Slam so they could copyright the name?

There was something similar with WWE making Rhino go by "Rhyno" because Marvel Comics was making a fuss over it, but may it have been because WWE knew they could copyright "Rhyno"?

Joe E. Legend claims they were worried about Marvel and were going to call Rhino "Mary". When he called Joe all concerned, he said "why don't you suggest they use a "y", like Chyna?".

...Mary?

I guess someone was a Johnny Cash fan...

A guy named Mary has to be one tough hombre, just like a boy named Sue.

I am deeply ashamed that nobody has mentioned what is obviously thr most important part of this whole situation: they fired Al Snow too.

I think that was discussed briefly when this was originally (and still, because people like ignoring created threads so they can prattle on in general discussion - note people constantly posting and discussing DVD release dates in December despite a thread devoted to just that...) brought up in February's GD.

I think that was discussed briefly when this was originally (and still, because people like ignoring created threads so they can prattle on in general discussion - note people constantly posting and discussing DVD release dates in December despite a thread devoted to just that...) brought up in February's GD.

I like you, dude, really. But, do you really have to be such a wet blanket sometimes?