TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dh86

Smackdown to leave the CW

I'll be honest, I don't ever watch anything else on the CW. I haven't been interested in anything on CW/UPN besides wrestling since Buffy was on the air.

With the network so low key, WWE may be able to pull off some more adult angles and bring Smackdown up to Raw in terms of outrageous storylines.

I'm thinking Cena may get drafted over to Smackdown in the fall. That will bring all the kiddies and females over for the extra ratings bump.

It worked for ECW in it's early days.

Thursdays has huge network competition though, I think Wednesdays would be a better move. I think TNA might actually like a move to Thursdays, because it would make it a "wrestling night" and it would be easier to lure wwe fans sitting down to watch SD! away than getting them to go out of their way to watch TNA on a seperate night. I mean if I'm sitting down to watch SD! and it's a commercial or lame storyline/match, I might just flip over to TNA sorta deal.

Thursdays has huge network competition though, I think Wednesdays would be a better move. I think TNA might actually like a move to Thursdays, because it would make it a "wrestling night" and it would be easier to lure wwe fans sitting down to watch SD! away than getting them to go out of their way to watch TNA on a seperate night. I mean if I'm sitting down to watch SD! and it's a commercial or lame storyline/match, I might just flip over to TNA sorta deal.

You mean Fridays?

You mean Fridays?

TNA is on Thursday last time I checked.

You mean Fridays?

TNA is on Thursday last time I checked.

I know..I wasn't thinking and read it as TNA would like moving itself to Thursdays to join Smackdown (which wouldn't make sense, as I pointed out). I'm an idiot.

MNTV in this market is what WB was and they don't seem to have very good production values (or an HD feed on my cable system), but that's pretty much irrelevant since I could watch it on The Score.

So, does this basically mean, that if you don't have digital cable you won't be watching Smackdown?

(I live in a dorm, and I'm pretty positive that we don't have the channel at all. Which really sucks)

Some markets do have it over the air. I know the channel's buried on my digital cable here behind all the HD channels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MNTV

"As of August 28, 2006 167 stations are affiliated with the new network, reaching approximately 106 million households and covering 96% of the US"

Looking at that schedule, there's obvious room to put the show back on Thursday since right now it's just a movie night.

http://www.mynetworktv.com/stations.php - Affiliate finder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MNTV

"As of August 28, 2006 167 stations are affiliated with the new network, reaching approximately 106 million households and covering 96% of the US"

Looking at that schedule, there's obvious room to put the show back on Thursday since right now it's just a movie night.

http://www.mynetworktv.com/stations.php - Affiliate finder.

Most people who think they don't get MyNetworkTV probably do get it but just don't know it.

Most major television markets have regular MyNetworkTV broadcast affiliates. Some of the mid-major television markets (example: Providence) have MyNet show airings during late night hours under secondary affiliations. Some other mid-major markets as mentioned (example: Richmond) carry MyNet shows only over digital subchannels. It's generally the most minor TV markets that don't get MyNet at all.

I cant get MNTV so no Smackdown for me.

BAH.

Hopefully moving to a network that can't even get Nielsen to rate their shows because viewership is so low and they end up with no ratings the first night because no one even knows about MNTV, let alone watches it, they'll recondsider at least putting Smackdown on the internet the day after it airs like they do ECW.

I just sent them a message about it..doubt it will make much difference but anyway.

The Big 3 aren't too keen on shows that do 2.7 ratings. I also don't understand how people DON'T have MNTV, but maybe this is because I'm in a market that has it. There were two channels - UPN and WB. They became "The CW" - did your other channel just stop broadcasting and leave the air? If they stayed independent maybe they'll air SmackDown somehow.

I thought for sure when I heard the rumors of NBC going to a 52 week schedule and canceling Friday Night Lights that it would be going to NBC..

I'm so happy that didn't happen. I would have been piseeeeddd.

Why do people want it to "kill" TNA? Why not want it to create a new night of wrestling competition that makes both products better? Why kill the only national alternative, no matter how ridiculous it's become under Russo?

Fanboys.

Why do people want it to "kill" TNA? Why not want it to create a new night of wrestling competition that makes both products better? Why kill the only national alternative, no matter how ridiculous it's become under Russo?

Fanboys.

well I should say if anything this would give TNA a kick in their collective butts they dearly need, but seeing that MyNetworkTV's format is similar to CW's where their programming runs 8PM to 10PM eastern, so TNA's first hour would run head to head with Smackdown's 2nd hour

The Big 3 aren't too keen on shows that do 2.7 ratings. I also don't understand how people DON'T have MNTV, but maybe this is because I'm in a market that has it. There were two channels - UPN and WB. They became "The CW" - did your other channel just stop broadcasting and leave the air? If they stayed independent maybe they'll air SmackDown somehow.

It's not like UPN and The WB were available everywhere either. Keep in mind that some smaller areas don't have lots of local broadcast channels available, leaving no conventional room for minor network affiliations.

Here the UPN Channel that was run by our local CBS affiliate and when UPN merged to become CW, it became an actual FOX affiliate since we didnt have one. I doubt we'll see MNTV here since there are probably laws that prevent the CBS station from owning 2 other network affiliates and its usually the FOX affiliate that sub channels out the MNTV channel. Our ABC affiliate runs the CW and theres no NBC affiliate here.

That's wacky, although the Detroit market had some silly stuff like that before too. The current CBS station is channel 62 - pretty high up the dial for a major network. They have no news of their own but when they did, they were using the local UPN's news team (which also no longer exists). The main issue here was over cartoons but since the era of weekday afternoon and weekend morning cartoon blocks on non-cable channels is dead, this stopped being a weird issue here (though I guess I've seen Fox cartoons airing on MNTV on Sunday mornings, but it's now the "4Kids Network" or something when that happens... I'm not paying close attention as I don't care, just something I notice).

I wouldn't mind seeing if TNA actually tries to save itself against Smackdown. Another Nitro/Raw'ish war would be kind of cool.

But that's giving TNA way too much credit in that scenario. I like TNA, but I can see its head up its own ass pretty clearly.