TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
haws bah gawd

Smackdown *Spoilers* 2/19/08

credit: wrestlingobserver.com

Smackdown Spoilers

2-19-2008 San Diego, CA

Dark match: McCool beat Victoria with a very nice looking Angel's Wings.

ECW notes: After their match CM Punk got on the mat and bowed to Flair. Flair told him to get up and they hugged. Flair got a good reception walking up the ramp to the back.

Edge comes out for a promo with his two buddies. He basically says that he, unlike most the crowd full of people who are scared of failing, is an opportunist. He said he's going to use the opportunity at Wrestlemania to end Undertaker's streak. Very good promo, Edge is awesome. Lights go out. Lights come back on and Undertaker has his hand around Edge's throat. The lackeys attack Taker, and they get beat up for it but Edge escapes.

Shelton Benjamin beat Jimmy Wang Yang in a MITB Qualifying match with his jumping faceplant finisher. Yang looked good and got the crowd into the match a bit near the end.

Teddy runs into Maryse backstage and she asks for a private meeting.

Jesse and Festus beat Deuce and Domino with a Festus aided top rope splash. The Greasers get the heat on Jesse by using Cherry as a shield on the outside and jump kicking him in the face. He was bleeding from the nose, so it looks like it was a real stiff kick.

Big Daddy V beat Shannon Moore via the fat elbow. Went too long for a squash match.

Batista beat MVP after 3 spinebusters and a Batista bomb. MVP was selling his back from the Chamber match, so Dave thought it would be fun to give him three spinebusters. During the match MVP got the heat on Dave by working over his head (front face locks) after MVP's big boot on the outside.

Kane pinned Khali when Khali had the headsqueeze on Kane and Kane pushed off the turnbuckle with his legs to land on top of Khali in a pinning position. (Think Hart v Piper but not a full roll through.) Afterward Khali kept the hold on and released because he thought he had won. Match was bad.

Chuck beat Mac Jackson (enhancement guy) with his finisher (has guy on his shoulder into RKO-like move). Quick and brutal squash, Chuck even stopped a pin one time to give more punishment.

Video with Rey coming to the ring.

Rey comes out to the ring. Rey is GOD in San Diego. Rey says his bicep is completely torn and has to get surgery on it tomorrow. Says he's missing Wrestlemania. Vicky interrupts. SO MUCH HEAT for Vicky just coming out. I've never heard so many 12 year old girls and boys cussing out someone in Spanish than I did when Vicky came out. They replay Rey giving her the silla from last week. Vickys says she thinks Rey did it on purpose and wants to hurt Rey now, so Rey must perform tonight against Chavo! Match goes along and Rey hits the 619, but can't do the springboard because his bicep hurts too much. Chavo takes over with 3 Amigos and goes up for frog splash. He misses and Rey rolls up Chavo for the pin.

Vicky tells Rey to stop celebrating and then tells him she's got something else to hurt him. Big Show comes out to beat Rey down, crush him in the corner, and step over his injured arm. Show then holds Rey up for a LONG chokeslam and hits it. Show gets a mic and simply states that this is what Mayweather has coming to him at Wrestlemania.

Dark Main Event: Edge, Curt, and Zack vs Kane, Taker and Batista. Edge avoided Taker for the majority of the match, tagging in the other two quickly. End comes when Undertaker throw Curt and Zack at Batista and Kane for respective spinebuster and chokeslam and then Taker gives Edge the tombstone for the pin.

I know it's one of the most over spots in the history of the business, but I get real tired of the lights going out and Taker being in the ring. I know people eat it up, but it's done far too often.

I know it's one of the most over spots in the history of the business, but I get real tired of the lights going out and Taker being in the ring. I know people eat it up, but it's done far too often.

Agreed.

So Rey still competes even though he's legit hurt? How does that work?

Good to see Matt Hardy back.

..what?

Sarcasm. I asked if he was still rehabbing after that. If this MVP/Matt Hardy match is going to happen at WM I thought this would be the week he would return to hype it. Sure there's still more than a month until WM, but I'm eager for their feud to rekindle, if that's indeed what plans are.

Guest dustinbeaverton

It sucks that they can't find something better for Jimmy Wang Yang. I sorta hated his gimmick at first, but it's pretty self-depricating, which I can respect. Too bad they dropped the Cruiserweight Title, because I doubt Yang will ever get a legit shot at the IC or US or anything like that. And it sounds like he's starting to grow on the crowd.

Good to see Matt Hardy back.

..what?

Sarcasm. I asked if he was still rehabbing after that. If this MVP/Matt Hardy match is going to happen at WM I thought this would be the week he would return to hype it. Sure there's still more than a month until WM, but I'm eager for their feud to rekindle, if that's indeed what plans are.

I think we're more likely to see MVP team with TBS against Batista and Mayweather at this point. Matt-MVP has lost all the momentum anyways. As Jimmy Yang, I think if they just kept him and Moore as a regular tag team and give them another real push to the titles like they had for a month in ECW, it would be a good use of them.

Wouldn't surprise me if they stuck Matt in MITB IV. The whole match this year seems to be made up of previous guys anyway (Kennedy, Jeff, Shelton, etc)

Curious if they'll stick Kane in there since he has nothing to do.

Will this year go back to six or stick with eight?

They have to stick with eight because it's a great way to stick two more mid-card acts who deserve a spot on the show but can't get their own program. Make it 4/4 for Raw and SDECW as well. A big aspect of the MITB match will be the status of the ECW Title.

Wouldn't surprise me if they stuck Matt in MITB IV. The whole match this year seems to be made up of previous guys anyway (Kennedy, Jeff, Shelton, etc)

It's going to have 8 spots.

It's going to have 8 spots.

Ah, I see. So then:

Raw:

Jericho

Kennedy

Jeff

SD/ECW

Shelton

Matt

Kane

Umaga seems to be only other guy I can think of for Raw.

Hmmm, curious if they'll stick Punk, Chavo, or both in there.

That's why the ECW title situation is a crucial part to the MitB match. If Chavo retains the title and they choose to defend it, Punk is the lone option. If they put the title back on Punk such as next week, they can still set up a match with another heel such as Umaga or MVP. I think they'll leave the ECW

title off the show and Punk works the MitB match to give Jeff a serious threat in the minds of the fans. Leaving Chavo off the show and probably gets involved in the Edge-UT match.

Personally I'd go with this

Jeff, Jericho, Kennedy, Paul Burchill, Kane, Shelton, Chavo Guerrero and either Stevie Richards who is getting a mini-push or Elijah Burke and they can play up him and Burke having the advantage being semi-partners and close friends. Leave Punk with Umaga who'd be brought in by Estrada.

That's why the ECW title situation is a crucial part to the MitB match. If Chavo retains the title and they choose to defend it, Punk is the lone option. If they put the title back on Punk such as next week, they can still set up a match with another heel such as Umaga or MVP. I think they'll leave the ECW

title off the show and Punk works the MitB match to give Jeff a serious threat in the minds of the fans. Leaving Chavo off the show and probably gets involved in the Edge-UT match.

Personally I'd go with this

Jeff, Jericho, Kennedy, Paul Burchill, Kane, Shelton, Chavo Guerrero and either Stevie Richards who is getting a mini-push or Elijah Burke and they can play up him and Burke having the advantage being semi-partners and close friends. Leave Punk with Umaga who'd be brought in by Estrada.

Now that it looks like MVP is going to be part of the Mayweather angle, I'm guessing:

Hardy, Jericho, Kennedy, Shelton, Elijah, Kane, Umaga, and the last spot depending on the Chavo/Punk situation. In the back of my mind, I know Big Daddy V and The Great Khali aren't on the card yet, and I have a feeling they will be in some form. I'd like to see Kofi in it, but it might be too soon for that.

As for Khali and Henry/BDV, I imagine they have a pre-show battle royal. Let the Big Angry Black Dudes dominate that. Leave Khali to a comedy skit which is probably the best use for him at the moment. I do fear they'll try to be cute and put Henry in the MitB.

As for Khali and Henry/BDV, I imagine they have a pre-show battle royal. Let the Big Angry Black Dudes dominate that. Leave Khali to a comedy skit which is probably the best use for him at the moment. I do fear they'll try to be cute and put Henry in the MitB.

Of the trifecta of suck, I can live with Mark Henry in Money in the Bank a bit easier than I can with BDV or Khali.

The problem is that Matt isn't certain to be back right now. Otherwise, MVP would be left on the sidelines. Better to put him in a major attraction match then nothing at all. The momentum for Matt-MVP was really damaged by Hardy's injury. It'd be difficult to get that feud to the level it was at when it was disrupted.

I was filling out the Raw side under the assumption that Punk-Umaga would be the ECW match (again that was under what I wanted to see) besides a C4 off the ladder would be a incredible image for WM lore. He won't be there.

Also, very few people would/could take it on Raw. If he busted it out against Kendrick, fans would want to see it against others. He's also a heel, so doing a flashy move like that wouldn't be wise.

Well to be fair, all it really entails is doing a frontal flip onto your back. Though I agree about the flashiness taking away from Burchill's heel persona. But damn, that beard he had as the pirate really distracted me from the fact he is apparently lazy eyed.

The C4 looks way too contrived. I always thought he should at least grab the back of his oppoents trunks with his left hand to make it look like he was lifting/tossing the opponent, however I assume he couldn't complete the backflip if he did that.

Besides the curbstomp is badass. I just don't think either Paul or Katie have the ability to pull off this angle. Either you have "it" or you don't. I fear this is the last chance for Paul...