TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iggymcfly

Goal line blitz

I would guess it's an energy issue from having just one set of backups in the secondary (CPUs at that), but without knowing the tactics or the exact energy levels I could just be talking out my ass.

General question:

Are people simply setting their players on "auto-pilot" with training and not changing their game tactics or are people going in game by game and changing tactics based on who we're playing and what not?

I'm just the punter, so things don't really change on my end.

However, the more successful teams usually have a "gameday tactics" thread. The Owner posts his general gameplan and then posts exactly what each player should set their tactics to. Something like

"This team likes to stretch the field and take advantage of big plays with their speedy WR, so we want our corners playing close/medium with wrap tackling and focus on the pass"

We might want to do something similar with our team...assign a couple of people as scouts, one as OC, one as DC, and have all of them come up with gameplans for each game.

Right now I've got balanced blocking set for my offensive players. My defensive guy changes depending on where I think the threat is going to be. I go in and adjust the game tactics depending on the team we're facing.

I'm expecting us to get our shit pushed in during the next two games (Gators and Ridgerunners) regardless of any strategy sadly. Their talent runs way to deep for us. I'm going to dick around with some settings to try to keep the starters in a bit longer than they have been.

Hey Ced, whenever you've got some honest free time.. do you want to go thru the adv. tactics for the team? Set up strategies for the down/distance and stam for the defensive side?

Well, the starters stayed in the whole game....all 40-something offensive plays of it.

And I don't know who owns Burnie Sidwell, but if he doesn't log in in the next day or so his backup FB is going to leave the team due to contract expiration.

Hey Ced, whenever you've got some honest free time.. do you want to go thru the adv. tactics for the team? Set up strategies for the down/distance and stam for the defensive side?

If you actually don't have time, maybe you can appoint a GM to help out? You'd still own the team, but a GM can help set up tactics or sign free agents or whatnot. Broward83 or oldskool would probably be happy to help out.

I think we also need to make a plan for each game and make sure every player sticks to it. We might not win, but at least we'll all be on the same page.

I don't really change my passing tactics. My last change was maybe two games ago where I made Onita Geru's favorite target. I'll probably start favoring long passes since Geru can throw now.

I don't have much free time in until June as I'm in the process of wrapping up my Bachelor's Degree. I'm all for dividing up GM duties so we can all improve as a team.

Thoughts looking at the team:

- Getting warm, human bodies on the bench is going to be a top priority. Whether it be straight up recruiting fresh players or dealing players around for depth, it should happen sooner than later since CPUs just aren't going to cut it past level 8.

- On that note, promoting Joseph Reed to starting center and dealing MGS for maybe 2 or 3 defensive lv. 4/5's is something that isn't out of the realm of consideration. I like feeding my boy pancakes, but trading him for much needed depth could potentially be a good, long-term decision.

- Defensive starters likely need to stay in during key points, especially the LB crew since we've got nothing beyond the big 3.

- We have a decent generic strategy at the present, but toying around with the idea adjusting to opponent trends definitely should be explored.

- I'm pretty much set on taking a $1.5m loan out near the end of the offseason to purchase even more seating for the stadium. More seating => More Money => Ability to finance a stronger team. Also, there would be a quick payoff of the loan once season and advance tickets are sold to get the debt off the books quicker.

-Looking at our moderate success so far, I'm confident that I'll be extending my reign as GM when my current ownership is close to expiring.

Just a quick question regarding WR, I'm currently #2 WR, but the CPU WRs seem to be getting more plays/rec then me at the moment, which is starting to slow down my xp gains. Had full energy for the start of the game too, any idea what's up?

My best guess is that the new energy tactics options are being slightly wonky and taking out starters when it probably shouldn't. When a starting LB gets less playtime than a scrub CPU backup and a #2 WR gets the least playing time of the receiving corp, there's probably something up.

So I "watched" the game today.

Alot of dropped balls from our receivers. There was a point where for three straight plays it was just drop after drop after drop and we'd be forced to punt.

As of right now, if we choose to use the advanced tactics, there's a setting in there to force starters onto the field during the last five minutes of the 2nd and 4th quarters.. if people are good with this, then I'll go in and play around with some of the advanced energy settings to try and get things straight.

For those setting their training on auto-pilot of sorts, stamina is playing a bigger role this season so bumping that up or using a boost to get it up might be a good idea.

If anyone wants to make a back up LB, that'd be awesome. We're pretty weak after myself, Hoji and Simon trot off the field.

http://goallineblitz.com/game/replay.pl?pbp_id=3050991

One LB and all of our CB's out on the field to play D.. heh (I've noticed thru some of the other plays.. its happening quite a bit where we've got our CB core out there with at least one or two playing LB..)

Wow my DE played 76 plays and still has 70 stamina after the game. Also been racking up tackles alot more lately too!

My best guess is that the new energy tactics options are being slightly wonky and taking out starters when it probably shouldn't. When a starting LB gets less playtime than a scrub CPU backup and a #2 WR gets the least playing time of the receiving corp, there's probably something up.

Special teams kills energy, and we've got mostly starters on the kicking & return game. It may not affect everyone energy-wise after the game (knocking them below 70, I mean) but it certainly drains in-game energy and that'll cost them plays we can't afford to have them lose. I'd rather see CPUs play special teams than have CPUs playing defense.

Special teams kills energy, and we've got mostly starters on the kicking & return game. It may not affect everyone energy-wise after the game (knocking them below 70, I mean) but it certainly drains in-game energy and that'll cost them plays we can't afford to have them lose. I'd rather see CPUs play special teams than have CPUs playing defense.

I think you're absolutely right on with this, oldskool. We should consider bringing in a bunch of low level players to help shore up depth and contribute on special teams...if anyone wants to create some new players, this would be a good time (especially if you can make a WR or LB).

Note: if you do make a new player (MARVIN), note that the starting stats of your character are random and can vary by a lot. If you get a bad set of stats, don't be afraid to retire the guy and make another one...it won't cost you any flex points and can actually be a huge boost (the equivalent of 5-10 skill points, or 1-2 levels). There's a nice guide floating around that gives out numbers for each position, but GLB is down...once it comes back up I can copy and paste the guide in here

Ok, I posted it in our forum as well as below.

----------------------------------------------------

DO NOT settle for the first player the computer sticks you with unless your one of the really lucky ones that gets a great roll on the first try as shown below. Chances are the stats are not very good as the rerolling your players can actually gain you up to 2 Levels (9-10 points) higher then other rolls.

You can retire and reroll a player with no penalty other then a bit of time. Usually it takes 20-50 rolls to get a top end roll unless you are lucky enough to get it sooner.

Here is what I have found so far for the positions I have played with so far.

DE:

Stats your looking at: Strength, Agility, Speed, Tackling

Ideal Range - 60-62

Highest Roll - 62

Notes - I did see a few 20's in the rolls for Physical Attributes and the highest I saw Tackling was 18

QB:

Stats: Strength, Stamina, Vision, Confidence, Throwing

Ideal Range - 69-71

Highest Roll - 71

Notes - Since QB adds in a 5th stat that varies I didnt see as high of numbers as I did for the DE but I still saw stats at 18 on occastion and Throwing around 15-16.

C:

Stats: Strength, Blocking, Speed, (Jumping)

Special Note - Jumping is pretty worthless for so I really didn't consider it and only added the first 3 together.

Ideal Range - 51-53

Highest Roll - 53

Notes - I actually kept a 52 roll instead of the 53 as I wanted a higher STR/BLK then speed. As stated above I pretty much disregarded Jumping but I guess if you had a choice between a couple rolls use Jump to break the tie. Speed never goes above 10 or below 7.

LB:

Stats - Strength, Agility, Stamina, Confidence, Vision, Tackling

Ideal Range - 78-80

Highest Roll - 80

Notes - Again you have a whole bunch of stats that vary so it limits how high they seem to go...I did see a few 18's but they were few and far between.

Guard:

Stats - Strength, Speed, Confidence, Blocking

Ideal Range - 63-65

Highest Roll - 65

Notes - Jumping is also variable but I again ignored it like I did my Center. Pretty similar to the Center and I'm assuming the Tackle. Speed never goes above 10 or below 7.

OT:

Stats - Strength, Agility, Confidence, Vision, Blocking, Speed

Ideal Range - 84-87

Highest Roll - 87

Notes - Lots of stats to look at here...highest stat I saw was a 20 on Blocking which is the one I took at 84 total. Speed never goes above 10 or below 7.

UPDATE - I just hit an 87 when the best I had ever done before was an 84.

Punter:

Stats - Confidence, Punting, Stamina

Ideal Range - 50-52

Highest Roll - 52

Notes - I actually got a 51 on my 2nd roll but kept going to see if that was really as good as it first looked....it was but I did nail a 52 later on. Highest I saw was a 25 on Punting...22 on Confidence and Stamina ranges from 7-10.

Kicker:

Stats - Confidence, Kicking, Stamina

Ideal Range - 50-52

Highest Roll - 52

Notes - Pretty much the same as the Punter. Stamina ranges from 7-10 and the highest I saw was Kicking at 25 and Confidence at 26.

TE:

Stats - Strength, Vision, Blocking, Catching

Ideal Range - 58-60

Highest Roll - 60

Notes - Depending on what type of TE you want to be you can look for stats that not only add up to a good number but also that more fit what you want to do. I was looking for high blocking and strength numbers ideally.

WR:

Stats - Agility, Speed, Jumping, Stamina, Vision, Catching

Ideal Range - 81-83

Highest Roll - 83

Notes - Ugh WR was horrid to get a good roll. You not only want a good roll but you most likely want to see the stats favor what type of receiver you want to be....speed or possession or get the roll and then just go with whatever way is easier. There has been some debate over Height and Weight and its been acknowledged that it does have a minor effect on things. This is one position I think you should at least look at it. The Jump Catch ability even states taller receivers can catch more high passes. If you want to go possession try for a tall receiver 6'2"+.

RB:

Stats - Strength, Agility, Speed, Confidence, Vision, Carrying

Ideal Range - 76-78

Highest Roll - 78

Notes - Since both RB's and WR's have 6 stats that vary I figured I could get up to the 80+ range as well but that was a pipe dream and I think I rolled for 2+ hours to get the 78. Either go into this with a type of RB in mind or once you get a good roll let that guide you to either power or speed back.

FB:

Stats - Strength, Agility, Blocking, Carrying

Ideal Range - 60-62

Highest Roll - 62

Notes - Here you gotta also look at whether you are going to be a blocking FB or a rushing one. I kept a 61 roll over the 62 due to the face it had a very high carrying and didn't need it for the blocking one I wanted to make but would have been great for a rushing one.

DT:

Stats - Strength, Agility, Tackling

Ideal Range - 52-54

Highest Roll - 54

Notes - You can really get some nice stats out of this one...20, 18, 16 for me.

CB:

Stats - Agility, Stamina, Speed, Jumping, Vision, Catching

Ideal Range - 79-81

Highest Roll - 81

Notes - Usually a good spread of 13-16's works good here so you can build however you want without any one stat being really high unless you want that stat high anyway.

FS:

Stats - Stamina, Speed, Vision, Tackling, Catching

Ideal Range - 67-68

Highest Roll - 68

Notes - I got the 68 in the first 10 rolls and rolled forever thinking I could do better...landed alot of 67's but never even matched the 68 and gave up when it hit midnight.

SS:

Stats - Strength, Stamina, Speed, Vision, Tackling

Ideal Range - 67-68

Highest Roll - 68

Notes - Very similar to the FS..same # of stats and seems to be the same outcome just a few different stats.

--------------------------------------------------------

Ahh, I was going to make a skill player, but I'll stick with defense and give Hoji a back up or something.

So... coming tomorrow... another LB, 2 more levels for Tugboat Jones, and maybe a wide-out, too. Names forthcoming.

SEEKING CONTRACT WITH SMARTMARKS FC! FROM THE MAN WHO BROUGHT YOU HOJI SAVAGEBONES AND TUGBOAT JONES!

Wayne "Beef" Wellington - a big linebacker who has ALREADY reached level 4! Handsome as an opium den!

"Meanderin'" Morty Horowitz - a 6'2" wide receiver! Speed! Hands! Semitic name! The whole package!

Give 'em a contract, boss

SEEKING CONTRACT WITH SMARTMARKS FC! FROM THE MAN WHO BROUGHT YOU HOJI SAVAGEBONES AND TUGBOAT JONES!

Wayne "Beef" Wellington - a big linebacker who has ALREADY reached level 4! Handsome as an opium den!

"Meanderin'" Morty Horowitz - a 6'2" wide receiver! Speed! Hands! Semitic name! The whole package!

Give 'em a contract, boss

Signed and signed. Trying to lure a few D-League folks to come play backup for us.

The guy who signed my DT to a two-year deal right out of the box is giving up on players and is going to build his own team; in effect, my DT's getting cut. I'm torn between trying to find a deal for the last 18 days (or however many are left when he cuts me) where I can get released in the offseason and sign on with a new team that's going to start him, or just trying to scrimp and save every in-game dollar I can and sit out for the rest of the season to be sure I'm not going to get trapped.

Alright, so we lost again.

One thing I noticed is that we threw the ball 60 times! SIXTY!

We only ran it 18 times. What's up with that? That ain't winnin' football.

I noticed how on the pitch play that scored a TD, our CB ran out of bounds past the HB then tried to come back to tackle him..

Fished out a FB (since Sideburnious went AWOL) , TE, and a backup LB so far. Definitely nothing special, but they'll level quickly enough; just look how Ortega's evolved as a QB. I've got my sights on a Lv 6 LB and hopefully that fleshes out.