TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

MLB Season Opener Thread

Let's see lose two home games and have these games start at 3:00 AM local time thus meaning I will not see them. Ya I'm not fucking bitter at all about this. Oh well season is over for the A's before it begins anyways. Wake me in 2010.

TUESDAY

Red Sox (Daisuke Matsuzaka) vs. Tokyo A's (Joe Blanton), 6:00/3:00 AM, ESPN2

WEDNESDAY

Red Sox (Jon Lester) vs. Tokyo A's (Rich Harden), 6:00/3:00 AM, ESPN2

Not particularly interested in either team but will be watching for the sake of seeing actual Major League Baseball.

The opener is going to be exciting with Daisuke pitching in Japan. The atmosphere should be great.

I'm a lot more interested in the second game though. I really want to see how Rich Harden is going to perform.

I'm a lot more interested in the second game though. I really want to see how Rich Harden is going to perform.

Get your looks now while you can.

Funny: Boston bars will be open at 6AM for the game, but state law forbids them from actually serving alcohol until 8.

Red Sox fans watching games sober? This is going to be a new experience for many people. I'll at least be able to catch the end of the game before I go to work at 10 and catch the replay at night since I would assume either ESPN or NESN will re-air it.

EDIT: Why did they pick Oakland anyway? From what I've read nobody in Japan gives a shit about them. Why not pick the Mariners who have Ichiro and play in an area with a heavy Asian population? Dice-K vs. Ichiro would have them turning people away from the Tokyo Dome.

Edited by KingPK

Guest tonyjaymzretro

looks like I'm having cereal and baseball tomorrow morning...

happy to have baseball back

or the Yankees with Matsui, but we all know what will happen if that happened. (and something good might come from it too).

Did you say law forbids sale of booze until 8? That's awesome. It's 11 in Ontario.

Yeah, I'll be up. There's only so much spring training you can watch before it salts the wound.

Guest Bullshiterica
EDIT: Why did they pick Oakland anyway? From what I've read nobody in Japan gives a shit about them. Why not pick the Mariners who have Ichiro and play in an area with a heavy Asian population? Dice-K vs. Ichiro would have them turning people away from the Tokyo Dome.

Fewer home games in Oakland would be my guess. Last time they went to Japan, Tampa Bay had to give up three games in St. Petersburg and had to let the Yankees wear pinstripes as if they were the home team. Maybe Seattle didn't want to give up its home dates.

Not particularly interested in either team but will be watching for the sake of seeing actual Major League Baseball.

Same. Or I would, but the feed's not coming in for ESPN2 on my DirecTV. All other channels work.

Guest Vitamin X

I just tuned in. And yes, on HD, so I don't know what the hell Marvin is having problems with. Oh.. yeah.. hmmm...

Man, I'm tired. I'm actually up late, not up early, so I don't have anything preventing me from finishing up the game.

I just tuned in. And yes, on HD, so I don't know what the hell Marvin is having problems with. Oh.. yeah.. hmmm...

Man, I'm tired. I'm actually up late, not up early, so I don't have anything preventing me from finishing up the game.

It wasnt tagged as HD in my directv guide.

As for some not being able to get ESPN2, Directv was being wonky early this morning and everyone was missing some of their SD channels but all HD channels including ESPN2 HD were fine, but it seems to be close to normal now.

The A's really should not have lost that game. I missed Emil Brown's baserunning, but the A's had Matsuzaka on the ropes several times. Matsuzaka could not locate his breaking pitches, but the A's just could not hit that fastball when challenged.

Emil's blunder was a real dagger... hit a perfectly acceptable double that would've had a runner on 2nd with 1 out and the A's down 6-5 but overran the base heading to third when the throw was coming home (cut off by the pitcher) and got tagged out in the pickle.

What hurt even more was that it was now 6-5 with 0 on and 2 outs and the next two hitters both hit singles (which may/may not have happened with Brown on second but it's more a salt in the wound kind of thing).

To me there is two big problems with this Japan business.

1. It is absolutely absurd for a team to have their first game at 3am in their home time zone. If I were Bored or any other local A's fan, I'd be ticked off. It works for me but I'm an early riser on the east coast. Most people don't share my schedule.

2. A larger problem is that while globalization benefits MLB, it rapes the Japanese leagues of their strongest national stars. Would you be inclined to watch MLB if its strongest stars fled to play in Japan after a few years?

Don't forget that the Red Sox left last week for Japan, played the games there, return to LA for the continuation of the exhibition season and then start their season on the road in Oakland. They are basically in the midst of a two week road trip when most reams are still in Spring Training. I hate this whole start the season in Japan business.