Oliver Stone's W.

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2008/03/george-w-bushs.html

Josh Brolin (George W. Bush)

Elizabeth Banks (Laura Bush)

James Cromwell (George Bush Sr.) - in negotiations

Jeffrey Wright (Colin Powell) - in talks

??? (Dick Cheney)

Robert Duvall (???)

"W. is the improbable story of a man who went to the White House despite getting fewer votes than his opponent; who became Commander-in-Chief despite having avoided military combat himself; and who became the least popular president ever elected to a second term. W. will shock and surprise you and leave you questioning everything you believe to be true." - Oliver Stone

Filming is set to begin on April 21 in Shreveport, La. W is being produced by Moritz Borman (who worked with Stone on World Trade Center and Alexander) and Jon Kilik (Babel and Alexander). QED International is financing the film.

I'm interested in how he'll approach this. His Nixon biopic was sympathetic, but this is George Bush for crying out loud. I don't know how you put a positive spin on him.

W. will shock and surprise you and leave you questioning everything you believe to be true...

:lol:

*Was going to make a "So I guess the Jews really don't run everything" remark, but I don't want to be accused of derailing a thread in its infancy.*

so will this movie be full of choppy camera shots, horrible lighting, random shots of naked guys pissing in urinals, drugged out white house officials and eyeballs inexplicably getting ripped out?

The film is real. Stone has talked about it in interviews.

Anyway, I'm just waiting for the inevitable Hillary movie. Every actress over 40 is going to want it since it has oscar written all over it.

Hopefully he doesn't fill it with a bunch of 9/11 conspiracy theory bullshit.

Stone has actually gone on the record in that he doesn't believe in 9/11 conspiracy theories.

Hopefully he doesn't fill it with a bunch of 9/11 conspiracy theory bullshit.

Stone has actually gone on the record in that he doesn't believe in 9/11 conspiracy theories.

When Stone doesn't believe you, you know you are god damn crazy.

I just want to know if we will see a scene of W choking on a hard pretzel in like slow motion with dramatic music playing and sudden shots of Val Kilmer as Bill Clinton telling him, "I told you W, cheeseburgers"

Stone is really good at glorifying and exploiting tragic events (World Trade Center is one of the worst movies I've ever seen btw) so this wll be an overly dramatic piece complete with subtle Christian imagery.

This movie is going to tank, much like Nixon did. See, the difference with an actual Stone hit film like JFK is that 1. JFK is a much better remembered president. 2. The film has actual dramatic tension involving the investigation, regardless of how much is actually true.

The problem with Nixon as a film is that very few people like Nixon for shit and certainly don't want to see a film about him, especially knowing he's just going to resign at the end due to Watergate. George W. Bush is even worse since the audience won't even get that resignation comeuppance.

I'm sure this will be a balanced and fair look at GWB and will take in to account all factors in the President's decision making process, as well as point out all the people, both Democrat and Republican, who backed his decision to go to war in the Middle East.

*looks at the above message*

Wow, I can't believe I actually managed to type that and not laugh. I didn't think I could actually do it.

doesnt the person the biopic is about have to be dead first?

Naw. Ali, The Hurricane, The People vs Larry Flint, etc

I've had more than enough of this moron over the pasts 7-8 years that I dont need to pay to see more. Unless it was a comedy making fun of the fact that every decision of his seems to go Hi-Lariously Wrong, I can't imagine who the f would want to see this movie??? I cant imagine any Bush Fans trusting OLIVER STONE to make a movie about Bush they will like (though I'll give em credit, James Cromwell as Bush Sr. is excellent casting)

I've had more than enough of this moron over the pasts 7-8 years that I dont need to pay to see more. Unless it was a comedy making fun of the fact that every decision of his seems to go Hi-Lariously Wrong, I can't imagine who the f would want to see this movie??? I cant imagine any Bush Fans trusting OLIVER STONE to make a movie about Bush they will like (though I'll give em credit, James Cromwell as Bush Sr. is excellent casting)

tn2_james_cromwell_1.jpg

James Cromwell

Georgebush.jpg

George H. W. Bush (since the first Bush president STILL is not George Bush Sr.)

I don't see it. Passing resemblance if any. Cromwell was one of those who went whining with Martin Sheen when the Afghanistan invasion broke out, so I'm sure he's going to give a VERY evenhanded performance as the former President.

I haven't found much on the pic, and I haven't seen anything saying that Duvall is set in stone for it, so I'll wait and see. Stone insists that it will be a fair look at Bush, so I guess I'll adjust my stance from "Hell no" to "pessimistic pending further review" on this.

I just want to know if we will see a scene of W choking on a hard pretzel in like slow motion with dramatic music playing and sudden shots of Val Kilmer as Bill Clinton telling him, "I told you W, cheeseburgers"

Best post in the thread.

James Cromwell

George H. W. Bush (since the first Bush president STILL is not George Bush Sr.)

I don't see it. Passing resemblance if any. Cromwell was one of those who went whining with Martin Sheen when the Afghanistan invasion broke out, so I'm sure he's going to give a VERY evenhanded performance as the former President.

They should get Dana Carvey. He could use the work.

I read it's set mainly during the 70s and 80s and ends just as Bush is going to war in Iraq. It's said to deal with the troubled relationship between father and son, which is weird because I didn't even know they had a bad reltionship.

I suppose the elder Bush might be pissed because his son has now messed up his legacy as well.

I read it's set mainly during the 70s and 80s and ends just as Bush is going to war in Iraq. It's said to deal with the troubled relationship between father and son, which is weird because I didn't even know they had a bad reltionship.

I suppose the elder Bush might be pissed because his son has now messed up his legacy as well.

what legacy?